Player Watch #?: Jack Darling - has officially been traded to NM from WCE in exchange for #67 - welcome Jack

Remove this Banner Ad

Mick “mercenary” Malthouse…nah him giving his pointed views is as bout as interesting as a fart in a bottle.
I Am a firm believer that it’s was his gifted players not his iq that got those premierships. Couldn’t do a darn thing at the blues…even with all their draft concessions. He reminds me a lot of that pompous fellow who’s team shot themselves in the foot repeatedly last night …even after a week off.

Tend to think this…if it’s making a hasbeen like mick getting cranky..sweet…that’s one win already and he hasn’t even got out on the ground yet. Triggered much 😂😂.
Look lm still not jumping hooray…but lm have my own expectations of what l want Jack to do…and while he’s in a north jumper I’ll happily swat back at people until he gives me a reason not to.
However lm sure if we look back at super Dooper mighty micky’s clubs (and his gracious behaviour of stepping aside for Nathan ) and their appointments there’s bound to be a few dubious duds…glasshouses and short memories…but l guess l should be kind…he is a senior after all. 😂
Paul Roos clone.

Darling coming over reminds me of Levi Casboult going to Suns.

Wasn't there to turn them into a prem side, just to protect the younger kids, and straighten up the forward line.

Darling coming over reminds me of Levi Casboult going to Suns.

Wasn't there to turn them into a prem side, just to protect the younger kids, and straighten up the forward line.
i would have loved to turn casboult into an intercepting backman, arguably best dukes in town and less than steller set shot.

Our lack of skills moving the ball through HB -> HF make it pretty difficult for our forwards.

We very rarely run a clean ‘training drill’ on game day.

Watching the whole field live from the ground, you often see Larkey and Zurhaar getting separation early as we’re bringing it forward, only for fumbles and missed kicks / dropped marks / half intercepted handballs that we recover - evening their contests and neither are great contested/pack marks. Both then end up calling for long bombs or hoping they can get it over the top and out the back.

If Darling is any better at reading the play ahead and hits the right spots at the right time, and is more willing to make multiple leads, and also to block for the others, then I’m guessing Sheez and Kerch will put it on his chest plenty throughout the year.

Darling coming over isn't fan inspiring stuff, but to say the collective frustration is disproportionate would be a massive understatement.

This isn't a Dylan Stephens/CCJ type signing either. If he signs for more than 2 than I'll get it.

People need to wait until the dust settles post trade/draft period before losing their shit (again).

Darling coming over isn't fan inspiring stuff, but to say the collective frustration is disproportionate would be a massive understatement.

This isn't a Dylan Stephens/CCJ type signing either. If he signs for more than 2 than I'll get it.

People need to wait until the dust settles post trade/draft period before losing their shit (again).

I think it’s the combination of

- having heaps of younger better 500+ goal kickers in the vfl he will be holding back

- the high draft capital cost we are giving up. Pick 64 could be used a thousand different ways, or just draft a Brownlow medalist with it ffs

- finishing 12th in a best and fairest and only being able to out perform 2/3s of our forwards this year shows he’s “kooked”

- 2 years with a trigger???? Unbelievable. If he was committed he would have come over for a contract that saw fans being able to vote him out of the team each week survivor style

Who are our younger kids that need protection?
Duursma and whichever key forward we recruit in this year's draft and hopefully a small forward

Larkey Curtis and Zurhar can take care of themselves in the forward 50 it's the outlet from fwd 50 to the wing

Anyone other than Pink, Sellers, Drury, Taylor Zurhar, Curtis who were playing that role

Having some sort of centre half forward target will allow Curtis Zurhar Larkey to get off the leash.

Just like those 2 or 3 sh!t truck key forwards at Sydney have.But don't do much, but they occupy the big key defenders.And they free up their silk players

Do you think Clarkson and the midfield coaches are telling LDU and Simpkin to hack the ball inside 50 straight to the opposition? Players obviously do things that isn't drilled into them at training. It is why you need leadership across all three lines that can adjust on the fly.

When Larkey stops leading and just waves for players to bomb it to a pack there is no leadership via action. Someone can tell you to do X or Y but it is the ability to execute that under extreme pressure that matters. We just don't have that discipline because it has never been demanded of players to get a game.

They do for periods of time, but when the pressure is turned up or the chips are down, our system goes out the window and we don't have good on-field leadership.

They are capable of being very good players, their ability to lead when under extreme pressure is also obviously not there atm. Not everyone is a natural leader.

Their key forwards aren't anything special but they have a very talented midfield: Warner, Mills, Heeney, etc. There probably wouldn't be a massive difference if you pulled Amartey, McDonald and McLean out and put in Larkey, Comben and Zurhaar in the Swans imo because they rely a lot on their midfield and smaller forwards to score rather than rely too much on their KPFs.

Amartey has scored 43 goals (1.8 avg), McDonald 37 (1.5), McLean 27 (1.1)
Hayward has kicked 40 (1.6), Papley 35 (1.8), Warner 34 (1.4), Heeney 33 (1.4), Gulden 15 (0.6), Parker 11 (1.2)

You just can't sag off these players to go 3 on 1 vs one of their mediocre KPFs. When you look at our scoring it is Larkey, Curtis and Zurhaar and not much else, you can sag off a whole lot of our players because we don't go to them and when we do it usually doesn't end in scoreboard damage and our midfield is a pump and dump midfield that doesn't run aggressively into the forward 50 and score goals even though many are capable of doing so.

Swans just have a far superior system and there is way more expectation for every one of their players to do the 1%ers and play team oriented football.
Watch the leading patterns the Swans have going in their forward line. They absolutely destroyed Port through work-rate in the forward line. Then compare that to our forward (non-structure). We are stagnant as heck which gives our mids nothing to kick to when they have time.

Paul Roos clone.
Mick was the beneficiary of a dozen young players they hid in some WA country thirds comp - Heady, Mainwarring Lewis Turley off the top of my head about 10 if them

Imagine an Academy type set up that Sydney GWS Gold Coast have but all combined together but no one knew off.

Imagine Harley Reid sitting out his U18 year and playing a qtr or two a fortnight for Tongola reserves and getting picked up at pick 64 as a late 4th rounder.

And then juicing the whole squad up on the roids for three preseasons.

Ole mate Mick was this only and a dodgy bounce against the shitest of all clubs of all time StKilda from being premiership less

He's history at footscray and carlton is reflective of his couching ability. Nada

Their key forwards aren't anything special but they have a very talented midfield: Warner, Mills, Heeney, etc. There probably wouldn't be a massive difference if you pulled Amartey, McDonald and McLean out and put in Larkey, Comben and Zurhaar in the Swans imo because they rely a lot on their midfield and smaller forwards to score rather than rely too much on their KPF

Amartey has scored 43 goals (1.8 avg), McDonald 37 (1.5), McLean 27 (1.1)
Bingo

You can't tell me that Larkey Zurhaar and Comben / whoever is less talented than these three Sydney fwds

It's system and workrate/fitness

If Darling can teach system and work rate then that's what we need.

I'd prefer a Membrey or a Riccardi from GWS but without system and workrate it's like plonking a Corr, Louge or heaven forbid a CCJ/Pink/Sellers into the squad.

After this draft its time for the whole squad to grow the **** up.

We have more than enough top draft picks and facilities and an oval that the players in the 90s could only dream of.

If Clarko and Viney think that darling can teach them to grow the **** up improve there fitness ie muscle bulk and system

Then I'll see what happens.

Duursma and whichever key forward we recruit in this year's draft and hopefully a small forward

Larkey Curtis and Zurhar can take care of themselves in the forward 50 it's the outlet from fwd 50 to the wing

Anyone other than Pink, Sellers, Drury, Taylor Zurhar, Curtis who were playing that role

Having some sort of centre half forward target will allow Curtis Zurhar Larkey to get off the leash.

Just like those 2 or 3 sh!t truck key forwards at Sydney have.But don't do much, but they occupy the big key defenders.And they free up their silk players
43 and 37 goals for Amartey and McDonald. McDonald works up the ground a fair bit too. Neither are shit trucks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

43 and 37 goals for Amartey and McDonald. McDonald works up the ground a fair bit too. Neither are shit trucks.
Put them both in our squad of 2022-2024 and they would be shit trucks.

They are both meh players who look good in a good side with outstanding midfielders and a well coached system.

Larkey and Zuhaar would be 80+ and 60 goals players if you swapped them out

Put them both in our squad of 2022-2024 and they would be shit trucks.

They are both meh players who look good in a good side with outstanding midfielders and a well coached system.

Larkey and Zuhaar would be 80+ and 60 goals players if you swapped them out
You can't say that definitively on either counts. Logan working up and down the wings is exactly what we need, he might’ve thrived. I wouldn't think Teakle or Darling would be good for 40 goals at Sydney.

Amazing how many best 22 players at successful clubs are somehow worse than our players
That's just fact and reality you put any North's top 20 players in Sydney's team and system will turn an average player into a very good player.

Exhibit A

Ryan Clarke

Serviceable wouldn't have been in top 30 at Nirth

Somehow eeks out a further two years of serviceable football

That's just fact and reality you put any North's top 20 players in Sydney's team and system will turn an average player into a very good player.

Exhibit A

Ryan Clarke

System beats stars

Exhibit A

Ryan Clarke

Was in and out of the Sydney team a bit too and with our current list he would play every week.

You can't say that definitively on either counts. Logan working up and down the wings is exactly what we need, he might’ve thrived. I wouldn't think Teakle or Darling would be good for 40 goals at Sydney.
Agree to disagree

I'd think Darling or Teakle could scrounge out more than McLean.

Our two best forwards currently Larkey and Zurhaar would out perform Amartey /McDonald in the Sydney system

Put it this way if North went to Sydney and said trade

Swap
Amertey McDonald McLean

For
Larkey Zurhaar plus your choice of Teakle Darling Pink or any other potatoe actually just Larks and Cam

They would bite our hand off and laugh their way back to the Opera house

When should we reasonably expect Larkey and Zurhaar to protect our other young forwards?

How are Larkey and Zurhaar going to "get off the leash"? Are they going to magically start leading to the ball carrier or into space with some sort of organisation rather than just stand next to each other and point to the sky? Why can't they do that already?

Do you honestly think opposition teams will have no answer to this?

All players perform better when they know their role.

Exhibit A is how the Dogs went from absolute basket case in 2014 to premiers two years later, with plenty of hacks.

On the other side of this, why were Dumont and Durdin not good enough for us but picked up games in better teams? Why did Polec fall over after leaving Port?

Last edited:
Watch the leading patterns the Swans have going in their forward line. They absolutely destroyed Port through work-rate in the forward line. Then compare that to our forward (non-structure). We are stagnant as heck which gives our mids nothing to kick to when they have time.

I think it goes hand-in-hand with system and structure tbh, when you lead and lead and lead and the ball just keeps getting hacked to nobody in particular, you are going to stop leading.

Nope. I’ll slay him from level 2 next year. “Get a kick ya big dopey ducking antivax Q anon flog”
l hope your not sitting near Mrs KK...She'll let you have it with both barrels, talking about her "boys" like that... :laughv1: :laughv1:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #?: Jack Darling - has officially been traded to NM from WCE in exchange for #67 - welcome Jack

Remove this Banner Ad

Back