Jack Darling

Remove this Banner Ad

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade but seriously, every year there are certain players with big bodies compared to other juniors who everyone knows will do well in their first season, but when they do they are hyped up as the next big thing. That is, until their peers catch up and they come back to the pack.

Everyone knew Darling was going to be strong in his first season because of the body and he has been, but seriously, Pavlich?

He's having the same impact as other big bodie midfielders who have come back to the pack after good debut seasons being Rich, Palmer, Ziebell etc.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade but seriously, every year there are certain players with big bodies compared to other juniors who everyone knows will do well in their first season, but when they do they are hyped up as the next big thing. That is, until their peers catch up and they come back to the pack.

Everyone knew Darling was going to be strong in his first season because of the body and he has been, but seriously, Pavlich?

He's having the same impact as other big bodie midfielders who have come back to the pack after good debut seasons being Rich, Palmer, Ziebell etc.

you do realise that the big body benefit goes out the window in men's football right?

also - rhys palmer big bodied? lulz

You are keen to shoot down a comparison to a key forward but then go on to compare him to a group of midfielders?..

Ziebell's probably not your best example mate, having 2 broken legs in 2 years and all. I think that's probably got more to do with his current output than anything else.

I am happy to eat some humble pie on this one.

I didnt think he'd have as much of an impact he is having.

Last year in the WAFL he looked cumbersome and couldnt move laterally, maybe he was playing under an injury cloud?

Anyway, I love his aggression at the ball and the ball carrier.

Still has a wooden back, but he is holding his marks well and tonight, hit the scoreboard as well as providing that lead up HF role.

Player of the future no question. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suppose with Key Forwards it's impoortant to have abit of arrogance and confidence about you (Brereton, Lockett, Ablett, Fev) compared to a Key Forward thats abit frail (Watts)

Good job by Darling in 2010 tanking to ensure he slipped to us.

The club sent girls to the school camp also helped out the cause.

The hit over the head was purely an accident which also worked out well for the West Coast Eagles and Jack Darling parties.

Some people are going a bit early on how Darling rates in this latest draft, for all we know the 25 taken before him may all end up having better careers really who knows? (I wouldn't put money on it)

Make no mistake, he looks good and any club that picked him up would be more than happy with his form this season, but in reality who knows how good any of the kids taken last year are going to be.

At this stage in their careers anyone of them could still be absolutely anything, it Wasn't so long ago that Rich was touted as being far and away the best of his draft, until others caught up in the following years.
Darling definitely has to be among the favorites to take out the rising star though.

It's probably already in the thread somewhere, but I think the key difference between Darling and someone like Rich (and going back further, Palmer) is that Darling is a KPF. It's not unusual for these guys to take three years to become a regular member of their side, and five or six to really hit their straps.

As an Eagles fan I've been excited over a lot less after waiting a lot longer. He doesn't need to improve drastically from here to become a 10-12 year player for the club. On a personal note it's also really nice to have one of our draftees really step up from R1 and show their class. We've gone through a lot of high picks recently and not many look as though they're going to be A grade.

Definitely looks the goods at this stage.

Could easily be the next Goodes/Pav/J.Brown.

Let's not forget that for part of a season in the mid/late 00's, J.Brown had a stint in the midfield and killed it, but lack of other key forwards and injuries caught up with him.

How often do first year 5 game KPF's actually have had an influence on the game. Usually they take 4-5 years to start peaking. Can't wait to see how he progresses into one of the game's Elite.

The one guy I wanted Port to draft at Pick 16 (that at least had a chance of sliding there). And boy did he slide. I couldn't believe it.

Seriously, recruiters must all huddle up somewhere and go "Nah, he won't be any good" and then everyone believes it and they cross him off the list. Goddamn they're morons. He was always gonna be a star goddammit.

If he only replicates his current form for the next ten years, I will be happy. The bottom line is he will still develop and improve, yet he has been able to contribute from day one. To be perfectly honest, it would not surprise me in the slightest if these off-field 'indiscretions' were a ploy by West Coast to ensure he slipped to the second round. Even if we had used our pick 4 on him, I would be happy.

True.

But compared to his draft cohort, did he reach the same heights? Guys like Chapman, Ling, Corey, Glass, etc went past him. Hasleby was a great player, but he was very close to his ceiling as an 18 year old.

The only reason others went past Hasleby wasn't because he hit his ceiling early...it was cause he was lazy and didn't work as hard both on and off the field. His best was better than those mentioned. He was a gun player...just lazy.

Mentioned it in other threads but if Darling can behave himself, he will be a star of the comp for many years to come!

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Darling

Remove this Banner Ad

Back