up_the_lions

As Big as Basil's Beak
Apr 10, 2007
TAS
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Jaguars, Gunners
I remember the knocks on this guy coming into the draft. Not big enough to be a true key forward, not quick enough to be a midfielder. To be honest, he looks like he could be either. Pavlich-esque.

How did he get to 26? Surely not the "character" concerns

I remember the knocks on this guy coming into the draft. Not big enough to be a true key forward, not quick enough to be a midfielder. To be honest, he looks like he could be either. Pavlich-esque.

Was going to be a top 5-10 pick, but some off-field incidents meant nobody wanted him.

I very much like the look of young Jayden Pitt who we took at 20 but this is the first time for a while I'm thinking did we let one get past us? Especially as we could really use a guy of his size as some of our big guys get closer to the end.

Was going to be a top 5-10 pick, but some off-field incidents meant nobody wanted him.

No, it was on-field as well. He was down in form last year, noticeably slower and too top-heavy.

West Coast have changed his body shape considerably in one pre-season and are reaping the rewards.

I can understand a little of the concern around the off-field stuff, but it seems to be a bit of a product of the over-analysis of him as a prospect. He was so highly touted that all that was left was for recruiters to pick holes in his game, and at this point they are looking to be false.

His presence on a lead and tackling pressure is impressive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i remember reading the potential draftees' self comparison with an afl player and raising my eyebrows when some said absolute stars of the game...then darling came out and said he was both j.brown AND franklin and i thought the kid was an arrogant $%^^..but he has looked very good!

I can't remember anyone saying he wasn't big enough to be a true forward, if anything he was being touted as the next Pavlich before the draft.

Off field character is very important these days apparently, if it wasn't Fevola would still be playing.

(Not that I'm comparing him (character wise) to Fevola, thought I had better throw that in!)

The main thing these days is scouts look at what they can't do instead of what they can do, due to his early physical development will be interesting to see how much better he will get but even if there is not a lot more improvement (and not saying there won't be) will be a more than serviceable (or even better) player in the AFL for years to come, character issues definitely would have dropped him a few places though during the draft process..

After the 2009 U18 Championships Darling was rated the No.1 junior in the country, just absolutely dominated at CHF.

Had a poor 2010 Champs, had a sex romp, got king hit, didn't set WAFL alight saw him slip to 26. GC, Carlton, Melbourne, Freo should have taken him before us. Their bad luck. He's already a gun and soon to be Superstar of the game.

I was hopping mad that the Dockers didn't pick him up. But later I found out why he got kicked out of school. Seriously, the Darling can play but totally glad the dockers didnt get him.

Hopefully, Darling gets the help he needs or end up getting kicked out of the AFL.

Link

And at the end of the West Perth season, he was hit from behind early one Sunday morning at a Subiaco hotel. Stricken with headaches the next day, he ended up in hospital for several days, suffering three bleeds on his brain, a contusion at the front of his head and a fracture at the back of his skull.

The injury, in itself, has concerned some clubs. Darling was desperate to do the athletic testing at the combine, trying to convince AIS medicos to call his neurosurgeon, and frustrated when he was told he couldn't do anything. Recent updates have satisfied some clubs he'll have no ongoing trouble at all, yet others aren't convinced and worry about the long-term impact.

Link

I was hopping mad that the Dockers didn't pick him up. But later I found out why he got kicked out of school. Seriously, the Darling can play but totally glad the dockers didnt get him.

Hopefully, Darling gets the help he needs or end up getting kicked out of the AFL.

Well - do fill us in.

Number 1/2 draft pick elect at U18 carnival 2009
+ Hardly dominant 2010 form
= 3-5 pick
+ In between height at 190cm - is he really tall enough to be big, is he quick enough to be a small?
= 5-10 pick
+ Question marks over his application/character
= 10-15 pick
+ Serious head injury
= Pick 26

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Darling

Remove this Banner Ad

Back