Toast Jack Lonie the resurrection

Remove this Banner Ad

Lonie had a fantastic debut year, forgotten by many. I’m wrapt that he’s now building on the promise he showed in 2015 with a month of consistent footy.

He was alway going to take time IMO... he just needed continuity & time to get up to game speed. He’s just ticked over 50 games & will continuing improving given the opportunity & right development (which is another big question).

Definitely a 2 year deal for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its a funny thing isn't it when you rag out on one of our players.
I'll freely admit I'm no fan of Sinclair, I was early but the more I focus on him the less I like.
However, its nice to be proven wrong occasionally.

My biggest gripe with Lonie has always been that he doesn't know his limitations, and that he could constantly try to do things beyond him rather than do what was best for the team.

The past months that seems to have changed. He seems to be more team orientated and doing what is best for everyone, which has then helped him be better footballer overall. Im looking forward to seeing him develop even more and really own that small forwards role.

I'm still far from convinced that he is going to make it in the long run. His last month of footy has definitely been the most positive form he's shown since his debut year but realistically he's not going to keep on kicking at 100% at goal as he has over the last three weeks and if he keeps kicking goals he'll have a lot more work put into him by the opposition. I have serious doubts that someone with so little size and strength and no pace of note will carve out much of a career in the AFL. I would still absolutely look at trading him to get into the third round of the draft this year and his late season flourish could make a team inclinced to bite. Much like Dunstan's strong finish to last year, I think we're seeing a rare golden patch from a player with too many physical limitations to truly succeed.

He has the attributes to make a captain if he carries on with his current form in the future- good skills hand and foot, aggressive, has an attitude.
Dude! I am as impressed as the rest of us but let's not get carried away.
Well done to the kid though. i hope he gets another year and if this form continues give him a longer contract

I've always liked him Tbh
Pressure and repeat efforts had me sold early
Did always need to kick a few more
The diving thing seems to have been sorted

Him and long in op pockets I quite like
Lonie was a high production junior. Both in tackling, setting up goals and kicking goals. Our lack of forward structure doesn’t help him in AFL. With our forwards always out numbered, he has very little chance to win the ball and make a big impact.. hopefully a new coach/game plan can see a more consistent and dangerous Lonie.

I've been super critical of him over the last couple of seasons. He looked cooked. But gee what a turn around. He's up there with Membrey as our most effective forward now.

I suspect he's been very selfless and uncompromising in his fight back too. Just goes to show it doesn't matter how you start or any dips you have. It's how you get back that matters.

How do we get him to rub off on others like acres and billings.

So should he be recontracted and for how many years?

My personal opinion is give him two years and not on bargain basement price either. Look after him.
I've got to stick my hand up here and admit that I thought he was gone. Not only that I publically told people he shouldn't play for us again.

My opinion was that he picks and chooses when to "compete"... by compete I mean put his head over the footy or take some punishment if required.

However based off the last month he's turned that around. He's regained his appetite for the contest and wants to win his own footy rather than be gifted it. The kids got all the skill in the world... just needs to believe in himself.

2 year deal should be on the cards now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So when is he going to sign a new contract?

Call me crazy but I'm convinced that a good coach and forward coach could turn some combination of the following players into a consistently dangerous forward line:

- Membrey
- Bruce
- McCartin
- Battle
- Marshall
- Long
- Lonie
- Gresham (rotating)

this!!!

its like the pieces are there all showing signs in isolation but no ones put them together yet

I've always liked him Tbh
Pressure and repeat efforts had me sold early
Did always need to kick a few more
The diving thing seems to have been sorted

Him and long in op pockets I quite like
I've also always liked Lonie ..when it all comes together for him he can be a very good player .....and I like how he milks the frees (If ya can't beat em etc) ;)

I just don't understand all these posters who get annoyed with Lonie and say stop the flopping and staging ...some of the best players in the comp are known for it. And if we gain an advantage from it then my opinion is, it's all fair in love,war and footy..

IMO, Has always been one of the footy-smartest players on the team. Knows how to get in the right spots, draw frees pretty regularly, have shots on goals, and know where he needs to kick it too

Only difference now is that he is executing as he wants to, kicking goals and his kicks to teammates are actually hitting them

Hope he keeps up the good work

has been great turnaround for him, always preferred him over Weller but thought Long had gone past both. definitely worth another contract and have said so earlier. Always had the smarts, glad to see the ability is there to match.

as for the flopping, there's a pretty fine line between milking a free and diving, early on it was diving and it wasn't a great look.

I still think he plays on a knife edge, needs a bit of luck to go his way (umpiring, bounce of the footy, whatever) in order to produce well. I really hope he makes it because he offers a point of difference in the forward line. If he works hard and has a strong pre-season, gets slightly quicker, slightly stronger - he might be able to kick 30 next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Jack Lonie the resurrection

Remove this Banner Ad

Back