Recommitted Jack Watts

Remove this Banner Ad

What is Jack Watts worth? Would he fit the Hawks system? What would he cost under the salary cap? Cheers :)

Yes, he would fit the Hawks, in the Jack Gunston mold. But would need a bit of time for the Hawks culture to grow onto him.
He could be anything with the right leadership pushing him along. He has leadership in him, but needs to want to, he needs inspiration, from the likes of a Hodge, or a Selwood. Or at the Swannies, where there are others to look up to.

But He definately needs a change of scenery, & IMO geography. Before his skills & abilities have gone.

Melb might go early to improve compensation? I'd take him for a 2nd rounder. Elite kicks dont grow on trees, a good club would put him in a role that best suits him.

Gunston and Bruest dont exactly seek out physical contact, yet look at how they fare. Someone could make him work.

Yes, he would fit the Hawks, in the Jack Gunston mold. But would need a bit of time for the Hawks culture to grow onto him.
He could be anything with the right leadership pushing him along. He has leadership in him, but needs to want to, he needs inspiration, from the likes of a Hodge, or a Selwood. Or at the Swannies, where there are others to look up to.

But He definately needs a change of scenery, & IMO geography. Before his skills & abilities have gone.
thanks for an appropriate answer to a simple question. Funnily enough it's hard to come by cheers mate

Really? Because his stats show this season he's taken fewer contested marks than any since 2010.
Don't know about stats, but I've wanted JW sacked in past seasons. Anyway, for what its worth, he has definately shown he can be more physical & stand in the way of the ball carrier & bring him down. This I've found encouraging because his ability with the ball is very High.
He has been much more energetic defensively.
I certainly aren't against us holding him. But IMO he needs a fresh start to really develop a new hunger, whilst he is still young & impressionable.

This season has definitely been his best and most consistent, no surprises considering that we finally have a decent FD.

Having said that Nathan Jones was able to put his body on the line before Roos came along...

Late 1st round. Would be a very handy pick up for a strong side. Elite by foot, good decision maker, very good pace when he decides to use it. Considering how much of a lottery the draft is, and the fact this particular one is not considered to be strong, there's no way he's only worth a late 2nd round/early 3rd round pick.
this all makes sense & adds to his valueXrisk. he isn't a diickhead, he's clean, he's quick, he's highly skilled & he's super-smart & creative. its just the workrate, that needs to be impression-ed into him, & inspiration added into his mind.
IMO he has carried a chip on his shoulder since shortly (months) after his recruitment, re the poor handling of his development. & his reluctance to apply (pacifist) aggression.

He needs a similar treatment, that Mitch Johnson found for himself.

Unfortunately for him he was the victim of being picked at No. 1 by a side that has continually stalled in their rebuild since.

I would hope that if he is up for trade then we're looking very closely at the situation. As people have noted, he is a very good user of the ball and has good pace and athleticism. It's no real secret that we would benefit from adding one or two quality users of the football to our side who are capable of playing half back. For me, if the price is right, he fits the criteria.

As for people saying that he won't make it / has not made the grade / is not worth picking up because he doesn't put his head over the ball etc. I think that's a harsh judgement and, leaving aside whether there's any merit in these suggestions, discounts the reality that a number of players can succeed at AFL level who, whilst they may not have the hardness of an Archer or Pickett etc. have other attributes which are capable of contributing to their team's on-field success
He was a Stkilda supporter when younger, & was a Nick Riewoldt fan, is a bit like the young Riewoldt, & Rooy grew out of his crybaby state under the saints culture.

this is a grown ups conversation, champ.
mysterybox.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since he walked in the door Roos has been on the mother of all list turnover missions, they’ve been throwing players out like confetti and replacing them with whatever they can get their hands on. I think they’ve had consecutive years of double figure turnover, which is unheard of. It’s an enormous cultural change.

Given half the chance they’d flick Watts in an instant. I reckon he’s probably been put on the hook and quietly dangled out and they’ve had zero bites. Who’d want him? This bloody “potential” and “in the right environment…” shit is reaching Waite levels. He’s just a skilful player who completely lacks the drive and competitive instinct to excel. What kind of a player “asks” to be dropped to the reserves? He’s a bloody headcase.

He’ll be out of Melbourne first chance they get, be it this year or more likely next.

Moorabbin has a club, the Roos, who in a previous incarnation played in the VFA.

Mentone merged with St Bedes ammos to become (strangely enough) St Bedes-Mentone, Luke Beveridge's old mob.

Well damn, I learned something today, cheers!:thumbsu:

It is easy out to blame MFC for his development. But i do not think it is all that simple there must be more to it.
I think it would be best for Watts and the MFC to brake ties , if another club can improve him or not remains to be seen.
Watts is reaching that age 25 or so where he really needs to move now or commit to MFC.
If MFC decide to trade him and can get a second rounder they should say thankyou and run to the hills.

Did not watch Melbourne much this year. I did see the Geelong game which was probably them at their best. It confirmed some thoughts regarding Watts. I suspect his best position is half back. Given our loss of Shaw and Jetta I think he could be a good fit for us. Meantime we have Craig Bird looking for a new home. Had some injury problems this year but has previously placed well in our best and fairest. Unfortunately Horse seems to only play three out of Kennedy, Parker Mitchell and Bird leaving Bird without a game. Given Melbourne have lost Cross I see a spot for Bird. Talk on our board is that Bird will only attract a late second or third round pick which is similar to watt's being said here.

Don't know that this isn't part of some kind of strategy re Jack: drop him for the last round, dangle him out for a trade but get no takers just to confirm what his standing in the wider AFL is. Is this Tough Love approach a way of putting a rocket under him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Jack Watts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back