Jacobs & Walker Trade Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the AFL article;

"I'm still confident Carlton will be fair and reasonable. I think we've seen some agents take clubs to mediation in the last two years, but I don't think we'll have to do that to sort out Andrew's situation."

I think Walker is gone from Carlton.

He's brought the mediation thing up because he wants it on the table, it's an indication of how serious Walker is about leaving.

:rolleyes:

Why do I have the feeling your opinion of him will change when he's your starting ruckman in Round 1 next year?

Unless he has an amazing pre-season, he will still have the same strengths and weaknesses.

I am happy to see both good and bad in our players...hence why i don't rate Maric all that highly and why Jacobs, despite his deficiencies, could be our 1R.

Re: Jacobs & Walker Trade Discussion

There is no way that we should trade Young.. he's a human glove.

Hey guys, i agree that Young is quality. Hence bringing up his name.

He is a quality future defender, much like Sellar, Talia, Thompson, not to mention Davis and even McKernan.

If we need to use players, they need some currency but also need to have surplus of that type on our list.

I very much dought we'll get Tambling AND Walker. Seems to me like the Crows are playing their cards and seeing which one they can get - chances are we'll have an opportunity to grab both and then force ourselves to decide which we want more.

Would be very surprised if we came out of this draft with more than two players. Would also be a bit disappointed since I don't want to lose our first pick (which is vital!) for players with serious question marks over their heads.

..and exactly what has he done so far in hs career to suggest this is even remotely possible. How many games has he played at Carlton again?

His figures playing as a 2R for Carlton are better than Maric's playing as a 1R for the Crows .............. He averages more posessions, tackles (yet is useless outside of ruck duties :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:), HO's and i50's. He is younger and his development over the last 2 years has been HUGE and has had an impact in more than just the EF ...........

That said I would like to know what Will Young has done to warrant being considered a "great tallent" (phased used in the past) outside of playing for the Crows. Sure he is young, but isn't exactly tall for a KPP (192 cm), was taken as a 5th rd selection and has played 2 games in 2 years. I know nothing about him, but what makes him such a great prospect (and don't give me the joke about Lloyd giving him the TV, everyone knows it was bs)

In my ideal world, we do:

Tambling for Bock Compo

Walker, Jacobs and pick 18 for pick 14, pick 33 and Carlton's choice of Sellar/Young/Cook/Armstrong.

The other option is to see if we can close Tambling for second and third round picks. That would give us some more flexibility with what we can offer Carlton.

For me, I'd like to try and get all three, but we HAVE to keep a top 20 pick as well. That sounds greedy, but I think it's possible.

(I'd also consider Walker, Jacobs and pick 18 for Talia and the Bock compo ...)

That said I would like to know what Will Young has done to warrant being considered a "great tallent" (phased used in the past) outside of playing for the Crows. Sure he is young, but isn't exactly tall for a KPP (192 cm), was taken as a 5th rd selection and has played 2 games in 2 years. I know nothing about him, but what makes him such a great prospect (and don't give me the joke about Lloyd giving him the TV, everyone knows it was bs)

Young has shown an enormous amount at the SANFL, and is the perfect size for a modern defender. He is about as close to a sure thing as you would have outside of any side's first 22.

He was taken late in the draft because he had been injured and had been overseas as an exchange student.

I genuinely think you guys would be doing something smart grabbing one of our excess defenders as part of this deal.

I'd go....

Trade Griffin to either WCE or Freo for a 3rd round pick

Tambling - our 2nd round pick and the Griffin 3rd round pick

Walker and Jacobs - #14 plus Bock compo pick for their #18 and the 2 players in question.

Hey guys, i agree that Young is quality. Hence bringing up his name.

He is a quality future defender, much like Sellar, Talia, Thompson, not to mention Davis and even McKernan.

If we need to use players, they need some currency but also need to have surplus of that type on our list.

agree,

I too like Young, however how many same types of players do we need, SMACK, Talia, Davis and Sellar can all play a defensive KP role, Carlton obviously rate Sellar as a Spud so we will need to give something to gain something

I can live with a Young trade as we have his role covered

(Log in to remove this ad.)

agree,

I too like Young, however how many same types of players do we need, SMACK, Talia, Davis and Sellar can all play a defensive KP role, Carlton obviously rate Sellar as a Spud so we will need to give something to gain something

I can live with a Young trade as we have his role covered

I like Young's ability to play on the smaller players. We have too many KPDs who cannot go small and it seems forward lines are getting smaller with all this frontal pressure business.

I'd go....

Trade Griffin to either WCE or Freo for a 3rd round pick

Tambling - our 2nd round pick and the Griffin 3rd round pick

Walker and Jacobs - #14 plus Bock compo pick for their #18 and the 2 players in question.

i would agree with that & think that may even suit the tigers with where we are at at the moment, it would enable us to throw a 3rd round pick to carlton for grigg & a 4th rounder to bombers for houli who we seem to be going after

and we would then still have our own 1st + 2 2nd rounders to draft kids with. you could be on a winner here mate.

There is no way that we should trade Young.. he's a human glove.

I'd rather not trade him, but I was pointing out that his value is already a lot higher than that of Sellar.

Young is already a very good SANFL footballer and based on what we've seen, a good/solid AFL footballer. I've got no doubt he'll make it as a good, solid player and have a ~150 game career.

Sellar is more likely to be a gun, but also more likely to be a bust.

I'd rather not trade him, but I was pointing out that his value is already a lot higher than that of Sellar.

Young is already a very good SANFL footballer and based on what we've seen, a good/solid AFL footballer. I've got no doubt he'll make it as a good, solid player and have a ~150 game career.

Sellar is more likely to be a gun, but also more likely to be a bust.

:confused: What? it can't be both, thats like saying it a 70/70 chance.

If we get a 3rd round pick for Griffin we'd be laughing. Won't happen.

Best result is player for player swap .....rather than lottery of 3rd round pick (4th round any other year)

:confused: What? it can't be both, thats like saying it a 70/70 chance.

I think he's saying that if we consider three possible outcomes (bust, average, gun) that the odds of Sellar simply being average are low.

I disagree, incidentally. I think the odds of Sellar being anything other than average are low. To me he's got just enough to be an AFL player, but I don't see a future star KPD that many of here seem to. Admittely, I've watched a lot less of him at SANFL level than many of those people.

not sure if this has been posted..

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...l-the-shots-in-trade-week-20101005-1663v.html

"Carlton wants the compensation pick the Crows received for the Gold Coast-bound Nathan Bock - at the end of the first round - but the Crows want only to swap first-round draft picks so they can give Carlton their No. 14 pick and get the Blues' No. 18.

The Blues knocked back a straight swap for Adelaide's second-round pick, in the 30s."

EDIT: maybe a swap of both first and second round picks, plus the griffin pick???

I hope we don't actually give up our pick 14 as part of the Jacobs trade. We should be reserving that for the best available young talent.

Is it time to make a play for Jon Giles? Rendell talks about the GC probably getting him (as a player formerly on a list) but doesn't Giles have to agree to GC picking him? If Giles was to say no to GC, which draft would he go into? The ND or the pre-season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back