Traded Jason Horne-Francis [to Port Adelaide in multi-club trade]

Remove this Banner Ad

Are GWS looking to use picks 3, 12, 15, 18 and 19 purely for the draft? Or do they want to get some players in via trade?

Maybe we could upgrade pick 33 or 43 for one those later picks and offer up Byrne-Jones or Bonner?

We genuinely need to trade away a player for 2nd round. Can't see it happening another way.

Hayes, Drew, Bonner, DBJ, Farrell. DBJ with most value in that lot perhaps as an All-Australian and club BnF although he was off it best this year. I know he just resigned but yeah either him or Drew

In all seriousness North have actually done fine out of this deal. So have West Coast. GWS showed up, bent over and handed over the lube to make it work for everyone else, and I salute them for it.
Yeah I think north have done well. What more can you hope for to get for a player that wants out than a similar pick + a future 1st on top. That’s a good deal.

Also west coast, despite people knocking them to get out of pick 2 and the private school vic boys and into hewett territory , whose not far behind, if at all those vic boys plus get another pick. That’s good for them.

Ports given up a lot, but the fact we get future 2nds and 3rds back helps a lot,

In the end rozee butters jhf Bergman sinn to look forward too in our midfield.

I really rate that group of players as a future midfield. High end young talent there.

Port - Horne-Francis, Future Second

North - Pick 8, Future First, Josh Sinn
Port spent a lot of capital (some would argue an irresponsible amount) to get up to 12 and nab Sinn. They aren't just going to push him out as steak knives a year later.

That's before you even consider if Sinn would be at all interested in the trade. If North do approach Sinn and convince him that he should join them-- so much so that Sinn is convinced to request a trade-- then maybe he could be involved.

Every team rates their own youth (I’ve even seen Geelong supporters do this) but to accurately judge it you need to compare them to rest of the league. If you go over most teams lists, you’ll find they’ve got a lot of good young players in the last 4 years.

Helps when you guys delist a future All Australian and 50+ goalkicker.

Nah... their first rounders aren't great... North need as much draft capital as possible for the rebuild ... they need to come up with more tbh. If North accepts that deal, its a big loss especially cause they are rebuilding... it should be 3 first around the 10s...

They could have got a better deal from adelaide last year... it's unfortunate for North

Nobody is giving 3x high first rounders for a sooky JHF lol.

No coincidence that the Bonner news breaks. Unlike most north people, I’ll take him.
Being honest (not just port bias) you guys could definitely do worst, when he is in form he is quality. This year alone he had a game where he had 37 disposals, 30 27 and a goal, last 4 weeks of the year was average though. Has heaps of upside, more than Pittard did during the Polec trade

Yeah, really average.

That 24 possession, 10 clearance, 10 score involvements, 3 goals plus 2 posters preliminary final against Glenelg was the epitome of average.

Edit: Added link

What about the rest of his season?

That game was in no way representative if you had bothered to watch his other games. Rather than just highlights

Last edited:
Port spent a lot of capital (some would argue an irresponsible amount) to get up to 12 and nab Sinn. They aren't just going to push him out as steak knives a year later.

That's before you even consider if Sinn would be at all interested in the trade. If North do approach Sinn and convince him that he should join them-- so much so that Sinn is convinced to request a trade-- then maybe he could be involved.
fair call. It might look more like pick 8 + Sinn and maybe ports 2023 2nd for Norths 2023 3rd

Being honest (not just port bias) you guys could definitely do worst, when he is in form he is quality. This year alone he had a game where he had 37 disposals, 30 27 and a goal, last 4 weeks of the year was average though. Has heaps of upside, more than Pittard did during the Polec trade

The main knock on him is he picks up niggles throughout the year and needs to work back into the season after a week or 2 off. The 19 touches a game is masked by the fact he only picked up 6 touches on 17 and 24% game time in 2 games at the end of the year. Think he was injured against Geelong and sub against Adelaide. Lots of 20-30 possession games from a guy that hurts teams with the ball.

Th
Yeah, I'm genuinely curious to see what Port supporters are willing to part with as I don't know just how good their young talent is. Who do they think gets the deal done? How excited are Port supporters to get JHF?

I'm just invested in this thread as it's always eventful when a #1 pick is traded so soon after being drafted. I want North to be taken care of but I am also excited for Port fans.
It’s a decent question, take Rozee, Marshall and Butters off the table, and then I think discussions can be had about any of the others.

But that’s me, what the clubs do is anyones guess. If I had my way north would take pick 8, next years first, Bonner and Farrel and be happy about it.

(Yes I know that won’t happen. Yes I know you would rather him get sent to the PSD.)

Why are people still using the "but we rejected a better offer last year" argument?

JHF's value has declined materially.

His attitude is evidently a problem. His lack of outside accumulation is concerning. To be fair the initial offer last year was more than generous in the first place.

2x 1st rounders is very fair for JHF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Th

It’s a decent question, take Rozee, Marshall and Butters off the table, and then I think discussions can be had about any of the others.

But that’s me, what the clubs do is anyones guess. If I had my way north would take pick 8, next years first, Bonner and Farrel and be happy about it.

(Yes I know that won’t happen. Yes I know you would rather him get sent to the PSD.)

Why would we give up both Bonner and Farrell? The idea of these 16-22 players is we have depth that can cover. You don't give up 2 players playing similar positions. Farrell's form down back is the reason we would be okay with losing Bonner. In terms of players we would 'want' to give up it would be 1 of Bonner, Farrell, DBJ, Drew. We wouldn't 'want' to give up the next tier of player, but if we did, they wouldn't be coming with F1+8.

The Chris Judd trade was
Carlton receive: Judd and pick 46
WCE receive: JJK (Quality young talent), pick 3 and pick 20

I recognise that Judd was out of contract but this was prime Chris Judd and he was worth that. On what planet is JHF who is still a relative unknown, worth 2 high first rounders and a quality youngster like Sinn? I understand that North want the farm for a contracted talented youngster but he is not worth more than Chris Judd.
I think the important part of that trade is that the top 10 pick was pick 3, not 9

And Josh Kennedy was taken with pick 4

Port don't have a high first round pick. It's a middle of the first round pick.

I do agree that hoping for Sinn is probably asking for too much, but I also think that pick 9 and a future pick that could end up even lower than that doesn't quite cut it either.

They need something more.

There's no way any club that held pick one would trade it for 9 and a future first, especially when Port probably under achieved this year and could be playing finals again next year.

As I said - 8, 2023 R1 and Sinn/Bergman will be our starting point imo.

If your club are morons.

That’s essentially 3 1st rounders, which would put it in the top 2 or 3 biggest trade hauls of all time

For a player who performed well under expectations.

Do you think jhf should be in the top couple of biggest trades ever?

I’m not going to rule out your club asking for that, because maybe they’re as dumb as you suggest.

Why are people still using the "but we rejected a better offer last year" argument?

JHF's value has declined materially.

His attitude is evidently a problem. His lack of outside accumulation is concerning. To be fair the initial offer last year was more than generous in the first place.

2x 1st rounders is very fair for JHF.
2 firsts sounds good until its pick 9 and pick 13 14 15 (port will play finals next year ) for a contracted pick 1 only 12 months ago. If you take this year out of it as evedent by his attitude in a struggling team and away from home being home sick (pick 1 goes to the worse team the shock horror) and go by his draft year those 2 first are absolutely unders, every team in the comp would chuck players out to pay pick 9 and a mid teens pick for him

As I said - 8, 2023 R1 and Sinn/Bergman will be our starting point imo.

“We don’t want to bring Jason in and then let other players we think are going to helpful for us at AFL level go. I’m sure North Melbourne will have a think about that, and if the time comes, we’ll have to consider it a as well.

“But right now our preference would be to deal from a draft capital perspective”

Seems a polite way to say thanks but no won’t happen

Also the question was that if any player will be involved (Hayes or Bonner) he has already shut down trading Sinn or Bergman

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jason Horne-Francis [to Port Adelaide in multi-club trade]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back