News John Barker joins Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I wasn't keen when he was signed, but just look at how our forwardline is functioning, without our leading goal kicker from last year. Look at the forward improvement of Hampson. I was clearly wrong.

John Barker :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Time this Bloke was shown the door. Surely a matter of time.

Forwards kicking.
Forwards leading.
Forwards Positioning, either by smalls or talls.
Marking ability inside 50
Forward Structures.
(minus Waite, who Barker played no part in)

-ALL WELL BELOW PAR.

Am yet to see ONE tall goal kicking forward that he has developed or produced/helped.

Fair dinkum, he must be moved on at seasons end. Next to useless in the time he's been there.

Saints and Hawks supporters did warn us.:(

While I have my doubt on his abilities to put together a functional forward line, I thought we turned a bit of a corner last night. ..

Levi leading up the wing and then swinging around to hit up Waite. .. Then later in the match, Waite did the same kicking to Levi. .. Was signs our tall structures are starting to take shape. .. Whether this is team selection and Mick's over all game plan of Barker finally extracting a digit, I'm not sure. ..

The disappointment was actually that our small forwards struggled to adapt and again, I'm not sure whose fault this is. ..

We could do worse than to bring in a good young forward coach to learn from Mick and have no predisposition to other tactics but his. ..

Sticks or Fev for forwards coach next year would be nice

Fev? Massive pass from me. .. You need more than just skill in a position to coach it. .. Coaches don't have to be the best players, especially not ones that lack discipline. .. They need to be the smarter ones with the ability to teach. ..

It would help if we were more imaginative in our forward line. Betts Garlett and Yarran have served us well this year but with the brilliant exception of Jarrad Waite we need more from our talls. Maybe we could use Casboult better. His marking is a key weapon, his goal kicking not so much. As an example, Barker should be working on set plays if Levi is 40 or 50 metres out to give it off to the running brigade. Perhaps Barker could get more out of the talent we have.

Reckon Mick would already have the feelers out for someone, he's no mug he knows Barker's not producing. Who's out there we would want? Would we poach from another club or grab someone fresh out of the game?

Bit off topic, but i heard a whisper that Mick is still into Lingy about a role with us in a big way.....apparently really wants him.

Should sign up this guy for Forward coach.
<<<<
Coached St Kilda's epic forward line in 2009 and 2010.

I'm not usually a part of the "SAKC <INSERT PERSON>" brigade, but with what we've seen the last few years and what we keep hearing about his time at the Aints and the Dawks... I'm thinking it says it all.

Then our good Bluebagger friend in Harks has more than once reported on John's work at training and from memory it wasn't too positive. You would think he'll be gonski at years end.

Fev? Massive pass from me. .. You need more than just skill in a position to coach it. .. Coaches don't have to be the best players, especially not ones that lack discipline. .. They need to be the smarter ones with the ability to teach. ..

big fan of this....
its actually my reasoning why I would never have a guy like hird coaching, the stuff hird could do you cant teach.
therefore alternatively I assumed buckley and voss would be good coaches due to there work ethic, but I haven't been vindicated there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not usually a part of the "SAKC <INSERT PERSON>" brigade, but with what we've seen the last few years and what we keep hearing about his time at the Aints and the Dawks... I'm thinking it says it all.

Then our good Bluebagger friend in Harks has more than once reported on John's work at training and from memory it wasn't too positive. You would think he'll be gonski at years end.

I am not a fan either of the "SAKC <INSERT PERSON>" brigade but I feel that he will be moved on at the end of the year as we are not getting the results he was appointed for and that has been the case from day 1.

Who to appoint, I wouldn't have a clue but I am sure the Club will make the right decision when/if the time comes.

Would :hearts: SOS back at the Club.

I am not a fan either of the "SAKC <INSERT PERSON>" brigade but I feel that he will be moved on at the end of the year as we are not getting the results he was appointed for and that has been the case from day 1.

Who to appoint, I wouldn't have a clue but I am sure the Club will make the right decision when/if the time comes.

Would :hearts: SOS back at the Club.
This:thumbsu:. Good :thumbsu:

Diesel, Sticks and Doully. (Diesel with our mids 1 on 1, Sticks for our forwards and Doull to teach Boots all about spoiling to effect.)
+ Kenny to teach Kane courage.

big fan of this....
its actually my reasoning why I would never have a guy like hird coaching, the stuff hird could do you cant teach.
therefore alternatively I assumed buckley and voss would be good coaches due to there work ethic, but I haven't been vindicated there.
Pretty hard gigs to follow Mick Malthouse and Leigh Matthews. They both might have been judged better if they didn't have such big shoes to fill. So IMO your initial thinking probably has merit.

Would :hearts: SOS back at the Club
Yes! The historians on this Board know the answer to this. Is it something to do with Sticks and salary cap? If Sticks puts the queue in the rack end of this season, would that change things??

Yes! The historians on this Board know the answer to this. Is it something to do with Sticks and salary cap? If Sticks puts the queue in the rack end of this season, would that change things??

Absolutely and yes you are right, it all has to do with the salary cap breaches.

Absolutely and yes you are right, it all has to do with the salary cap.
Aph that is one of the best pieces of news I've heard in a while! Used to just burn inside to see SOS helping St.Kilda when we were crying out for his coaching input at both ends of the ground.

If we get SOS on board .... Okay, I'll try not to get ahead of myself ... but he would be enormous value to the Carlton Football Club.

Bit off topic, but i heard a whisper that Mick is still into Lingy about a role with us in a big way.....apparently really wants him.

Your source...I like the cut of their jib.

Despite Lingy playing the buffoon a bit on Ch 7 - how could you not surrounded by those morons? - he would be a great outside edition to the club. And let's be honest, the last team he had prolonged contact with is arguably the best ever. Calls a spade a spade, but is a likeable fellow, so perhaps could help Mick get the best out of some of our more 'developmentally challenged' players.

Prying him away from Geelong might be tough, and it's not like he needs the shekels, but these are not insurmountable issues. Get it done Baggers!

I'm not sure that Barker is as terrible as everyone is making out. He is a forward coach, not a development coach. That means his main role is to implement an effective structure in the forward line, not necessarily teach AFL-listed players how to mark or kick the ball. I also expect he would conduct an analysis of the opposition defence each week.

Given the effectiveness of our smalls, it would appear that Barker has implemented a forward structure designed primarily with the smalls in mind. I might be alone here, but have our small forwards not pretty much proven themselves to be the best in the competition when operating within these structures?

It's not as if Barker has had a glut of quality KPF to work with, either. The often injured Waite aside, he's largely been forced to organise and try and get the best out of a series of ruckman or pinch-hitters, possessed with only moderate forward ability. The emergence of Casboult should definitely help our forward line in this regard, as would any ongoing use of Henderson as a forward.

Just think it's a bit overly simplistic to blame Barker for everything. To be honest, I think our midfield is the far more problematic third of the ground.

I'm not sure that Barker is as terrible as everyone is making out. He is a forward coach, not a development coach. That means his main role is to implement an effective structure in the forward line, not necessarily teach AFL-listed players how to mark or kick the ball. I also expect he would conduct an analysis of the opposition defence each week.

Given the effectiveness of our smalls, it would appear that Barker has implemented a forward structure designed primarily with the smalls in mind. I might be alone here, but have our small forwards not pretty much proven themselves to be the best in the competition when operating within these structures?

It's not as if Barker has had a glut of quality KPF to work with, either. The often injured Waite aside, he's largely been forced to organise and try and get the best out of a series of ruckman or pinch-hitters, possessed with only moderate forward ability. The emergence of Casboult should definitely help our forward line in this regard, as would any ongoing use of Henderson as a forward.

Just think it's a bit overly simplistic to blame Barker for everything. To be honest, I think our midfield is the far more problematic third of the ground.

Every forward line the guy has touched has turned to crap though. Even in 2010 our forward line was better and we go to piss up there when Waite isn't playing.

Remove this Banner Ad

News John Barker joins Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back