Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it Murray Newman then wasn’t suspended by the eagles when awaiting sentencing for GBH? As it’s for the police to deal with, WCE even kept him on the list when he was in jail.

De Gooey has been found guilty of the drink driving offence and has received the mandated sentence; the criminal aspect of his behaviour is settled.

Now loss of sponsorship that’s crap Wellingham already lost a sponsor with the TAC and we got a sponsorship worth more money with Wizard

1. Irrelevant. Collingwood could easily obtain another sponsor given its size.
  2. Collingwood wants to meet certain standards of excellence within the community. The TAC sponsors CFC and expects CFC to meet those standards of excellence. Wellingham and De Gooey's conduct do not meet those standards.

I was just discussing this with a work colleague.

He could play Round 1 technically assuming:

- Works his ass off at training. First in, last out
- Hits his 4 weeks of working a real job with aplomb
- Attaches himself to a leader at the Club and shadows them for a month
- Is humble and apologetic in attitude around the club

I could potentially see that being the case.

At least I'm hoping so. He's too important to us for us to just ruin the start to our season again.
Bit hard to be first in last out when you are working full time training with the 2s and having to do community work. Where will he find this time to train?

I think the only thing to be taken from that is that the events of last night are the tip of the iceberg, and the club (not to mention his teammates) have visibility over the whole iceberg.

That also reads to me like cutting ties was seriously considered.

I don't like the severity of the punishments handed out, especially the fact that his playing future is under an "indefinite" cloud.

That's stupid. If he is fit we should play him. It only hurts the fans that want to see this team play at full strength.

And with his ****ing STUPIDITY we will go into the season without him again? But why? He's not injured this time.

I think it's too much for him to make him do all that + not play as well.

Disappointed.

If I were in his shoes I would of called my manager and told him find me a new club. It’s not the clubs place to punish him. Why do we have a judicial system? To deal with matters like this
Why would he have to call him, his manger was there today.

I agree if just for just drink driving offence, but l reckon there’s more going on than that. No idea what, but reading between the lines and there a lot, it’s more than this incident

Been lot of Talk around about his Poor Attitude at the Club and he could done something we will never hear about.

Where there is Fire

You do realize that he will probably miss less games than a 4 week ban for example. If we impose a limit, we have to abide by it. This way he could be back as early as round one.

I don't think any suspension is merited for a drink driving offence on face value, even accounting for the indiscretion last preseason so it's irrelevant when he might be back. Even if that does ultimately mean round 1, he'll be underdone relative to his team mates and competition and we're not that good that we can carry any passengers.

Good call, it he puts in the work he can be back in the side quickly. A blanket 6 week ban for example, ties our hands, but if in 5 weeks time he has shown change the club can in theory bring him back in and he might not even miss a game.

It puts the ball in his court, its now up to him. Its easy to say sorry, that it won't happen again, that he will change his ways, well now he gets to do it.

Well Said. Put it all on him. IF he wants to Stay at Collingwood and Have a AFL Career then he puts the Hard Work In to get back in the Good Books IF not then he can leave at Seasons End

De Gooey has been found guilty of the drink driving offence and has received the mandated sentence; the criminal aspect of his behaviour is settled.

1. Irrelevant. Collingwood could easily obtain another sponsor given its size.
  2. Collingwood wants to meet certain standards of excellence within the community. The TAC sponsors CFC and expects CFC to meet those standards of excellence. Wellingham and De Gooey's conduct do not meet those standards.
Do you realise that awaiting sentencing means that you have been found guilty? The club then held him on the list while he was in jail then West coast welcomed him back when he was released. They handled that way better than we have handled this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been lot of Talk around about his Poor Attitude at the Club and he could done something we will never hear about.

Where there is Fire
Unfortunately td, that’s my conclusion out of this.

If I were DeGoey I would never pull on the Black and White again. This is a deadset disgrace, what an overreaction
I’ve thought a lot of your posts have hit the mark.

Not this one, sorry.

He can only now suck it up, learn from it, play well, become a top shelf player.

Wont help him spitting the dummy. Regardless of fairness of extra penalties, chucking a wobbly isn’t an answer in my view.

Best answer, play great football.

If I were in his shoes I would of called my manager and told him find me a new club. It’s not the clubs place to punish him. Why do we have a judicial system? To deal with matters like this

IF That what he thinks then I don't want him at Collingwood

The work thing is a really good idea. Evidently the Melbourne Storm require every new player who arrives at their club regardless of who they are to work a normal job in Melbourne for 2-4 weeks. Even Sam Kasiano and Ryan Hoffman were required to do it during the offseason. And no one can argue that the Storm have a very successful sporting culture.

I’m actually not sure why clubs don’t do more around requiring players to have jobs or undertake training in their spare time. There was talk about clubs doing that a few years ago to stop young men with lots of time and money on their hands and to help prepare them for their post football lives whenever that comes. That seems to have fallen by the wayside over the last few years by all clubs.
David Parkin is HUGE on players doing other things besides football.

Agree, the work thing is terrific idea.

So the club (employer) should not afford a player (employee) any support in his/her personal life?
No I dont think they need to. If they offer it and people want to take it up fine but my personal well being outside of work is something my work has no right or need to be involved in. Its not their job.

Very harsh in my view, he gets punished twice for one infringement.

All about public perception
I read it that there is more to the story than an 'incident' with JDG and the punishment is for structural (mis)behavior.
Harsh but whether it is 4, 8 or 20 wks. He still have to train his ass off to get selected.

From a Galaxy S8 far far away

Its private life compared with work life. What you do in public is controlled by law and thats the thing he needs to face not his employer jumping in and wanting to be involved.

As to my profession they have no interest in knowing if I have a .05 offence. There would be serious registration questions for any criminal charge which is a different thing. I have seen senior doctors lose their licence for .05 and its widely known within the workplace. The hospitals etc dont see themselves as having any role to play.

Which is why I said the line is at a different spot. Obviously AHPRA dont care about an individual drink driving offence, however problems with substances can at some point affect your capacity, and that is when AHPRA cares (though hopefully with a lot of other steps in between).
However your workplace would also care say if you were photographed doing something dodgy while wearing your hospital ID, or if you were a known public figure and got into trouble. There have also been a number of warnings (and at least one sacking I am aware of) because of things posted on social media. (In that case, someone in a small town who posted in a public group- and a nurse rather than a doctor - nothing work related, but of enough concern that it fell seriously short of the values that the hospital & health department would be aiming for).

The line is different because of the nature (and public profile) of our job vs De Goeys.
But I think it is too complex to compartmentalise the two and just say that your private life doesnt impact on your employment.

Last edited:

Funny then that the AFLPA signs off on an EBA and CoC which allow these types of punishments.

Makes it even easier for DeGoey to tell him to get him out of the Pies
Or his manger can tell him it’s time to pull your head in, and get serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back