Player Watch Jordan De Goey

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Way too heavy handed.

How is excluding him from the group meant to build trust?

T.Adams himself was a rat bag as a 18-21 ur old, multiple instances with the drink and fighting issues with police etc

People mature at different rates, wouldn’t be surprised if Jordan walks at the end of the year.

I think it's a little too hard as well. When I read the first few punishments I thought okay, but went on a bit.

He probably needs to play out the year to get a decent deal elsewhere but I would cut ties with Collingwood
That’s your call.

He and his manager will likewise make a call.
And Geoff Walsh and his crew will make a call.

But for everyone to get something better, Jordan can play great football and keep his nose clean.

Stephen Reilly was a serious journo - bit of a come down to a diary mngr - yes Ed can spin it better than anyone but he's got to pull back from the stuff managers do - eg is he still on the list mngt cttee ffs?

Yeah I think you need a pro managing the message as well.

On the face of it I agree, but as I said, I think there is a lot under the surface. This makes sense as a reaction to an accumulation of problems, not a single incident (albeit this incident has brought things to a head). I think Jordan's position in the club has been more precarious than has been apparent in public. Got the feeling Goldy was a bit too honest in public based on what was going on inside, hence Walsh walking it back for public consumption. Not any more.

Some of the stuff in there, particularly these

- Jordan has made a commitment to enlist the assistance of medical professionals to help him improve his decision making.

- Jordan has agreed to make significant changes to his social life and associations, a pledge the club supports and will monitor.

- An indefinite suspension from AFL selection. When Jordan has convinced his peers and coaches that meaningful change has occurred, and that his standards have risen to those of the group, he will become available for selection.

Tells the story pretty well IMO.

Exactly. Otherwise he's on the path to becoming Ben Cousins.

Alas i doubt Jordan could afford to give the big dunny petrol money now.
The big Dunny can start an account.

Paid by good behaviour.
Good training.
Good attitude.

I have just contacted someone via PM that Scodog10 also knows.

I hope he replies because he knows a lot more than some of the posters here who are throwing horse shit at a 21 kid that likes to party........excuse the pun Bad Horse.

He got his rightful whack from the law...........this is way over the top by our Club IMO.

As I said, it appears miles over the top on face value. What the club thinks also appears clear from what is in the release. Whether they are justified in that, who knows, but there is clearly a club view that is driving their response, and its not just about this incident.

I would certainly have preferred the things I highlighted werent made public, even if they are part of the deal. Putting them in the release smacks a bit of public humiliation, because as I said, they tell a story at least from the club's persective thats hard to miss.

Last edited:
I find your stance here, and really anything illicit related, pretty jarring. You must appreciate you’re not the only one with some experience in the less than squeaky clean side of life, but not everyone wears it as some sort of badge. You come across as a boss of the Naughty Player’s Union at times.

If he doesn’t like it, he can **** off and get a 9-5 and play local footy. If you want to be paid well for playing footy and have the media and other ancillary opportunities, you will do what’s required and you will accept that you’re a 24/7 representative of your employer. People can argue the merits of this reality until the cows come home but this is the reality and it’s not going to change.

People have asked if a ‘normal’ employer would care if their employee lost their licence outside of work hours. A footy player is free to go and seek out employment like this at any time he wants. Or he can stay and meet the requirements, it’s his personal decision.

If I had someone working for me, on contract, and they were being a dick at work, and upsetting the harmony of the office, and putting in middling work, and I found out he lied to me and blew 0.095 on his P’s, I’d seriously consider ****ing him off when his contract expired, if I saw him as unwilling to help himself. I think this purported dichotomy between ‘normal’ employment and the unreasonable requirements of AFL employment is horse****.
Please explain how he will be able to be first in last out when he is working 9-5 and also required to do community work?

If I were in his shoes I would of called my manager and told him find me a new club. It’s not the clubs place to punish him. Why do we have a judicial system? To deal with matters like this

No it is the clubs role to instill the discipline in him required of a professional AFL player. Its the legal systems role top punish him for breaking the law.

I am very happy with the what has been dealt out. It leaves it open for him to come back in as early as round 2 (round 1 seems implausible) so the club isn't punished

His management was involved in the discussions that resulted in this response - and apparently "Jordan has also offered to make a further $10,000 donation to a charity, a gesture the club acknowledges and supports."

Yeah rightio let’s just punish the bloke for things he may have done

You realise the clubs and players would know a whole lot more than use than the media do.

You hear the stories about guys like Cousins and Swanny - they are pretty open (well at least swanny is) now about what kind of condition they would be showing up to training in. You dont think your teammates would recognise that? And I'm sure 95% of the type that stays out of public knowledge.

Now in this case, one of our senior players had already come public. That suggests that whatever has been happening has been severe or consistent enough that his teammates felt the need to send him a very public message.

Please explain how he will be able to be first in last out when he is working 9-5 and also required to do community work?

Well maybe getting a Proper Job will show how Lucky he is that he is a Talented Footballer.

You hope he is 1st at this Job and Last to Leave the Job/Leave when he should for VFL Training

No it is the clubs role to instill the discipline in him required of a professional AFL player. Its the legal systems role top punish him for breaking the law.

I am very happy with the what has been dealt out. It leaves it open for him to come back in as early as round 2 (round 1 seems implausible) so the club isn't punished

His management was involved in the discussions that resulted in this response - and apparently "Jordan has also offered to make a further $10,000 donation to a charity, a gesture the club acknowledges and supports."
Yeah and he wouldn’t of been pushed to make that offer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You realise the clubs and players would know a whole lot more than use than the media do.

You hear the stories about guys like Cousins and Swanny - they are pretty open (well at least swanny is) now about what kind of condition they would be showing up to training in. You dont think your teammates would recognise that? And I'm sure 95% of the type that stays out of public knowledge.

Now in this case, one of our senior players had already come public. That suggests that whatever has been happening has been severe or consistent enough that his teammates felt the need to send him a very public message.

I remember I went to 1 Training Sessioin when they where doing there Warm-Up Swanny Stopped and look like he was Throwing Up

For all those saying, 'sack/trade' him lets remember this http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/co...aedd24616?sv=28523f4cc56826662668314671b68f2b

If we adopted your approach Swan would never have gone onto be the Pies star he became. Events like this can turn things around for young guys who are loose, the club standing by them and helping them can be the making of them. Did Richmond trade out Martin after the chop sticks episode?

Some of you need to remember what its like to be young and make dumb decisions.

If I were in his shoes I would of called my manager and told him find me a new club. It’s not the clubs place to punish him. Why do we have a judicial system? To deal with matters like this

This isn't just a legal matter. The club has to manage the expectations of the membership regarding professionalism and acceptable standards.

You don't think anything should have happened to him, that's clear, although I wonder if you think there are behavioural issues which aren't in the purview of law enforcement or aren't illegal that should be managed?

In any case, even if you think there should have been no sanction, do you accept that there are people in the membership and as commercial sponsors who do have issues with it?

I think once you recognise that some others around the club take a dim view of this sort of thing then you're compelled to act. I personally think it was a bit too severe, but then again who knows what else is going on that we aren't privy to.

For all those saying, 'sack/trade' him lets remember this http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/co...aedd24616?sv=28523f4cc56826662668314671b68f2b

If we adopted your approach Swan would never have gone onto be the Pies star he became. Events like this can turn things around for young guys who are loose, the club standing by them and helping them can be the making of them. Did Richmond trade out Martin after the chop sticks episode?

Some of you need to remember what its like to be young and make dumb decisions.

Maybe because they actually Knuckled Down a Bit after there Punishments.

So we call it a Mistake IF he Killed someone in a Car Crash because he was Pissed?

Yeah, at first I didn't buy into those messages, but clearly this goes a lot more deeply than a single incident, or even the two if you count last years. There's obviously a lot going on behind closed doors with JDG and this is just a reaction to it all. I still think it's overs and disagree with the punishment, but if he were to be showing up to training clearly unprepared then perhaps this is a justified call. Either way I think this thread has run its course now, all we'll get here are melts.

Apologies for being really unclear, I meant your stance across this whole JDG issue. I just happened to be at your quoted post when I felt compelled to write what I did. I wasn’t replying to your ‘last in first out’ post.

This isn't just a legal matter. The club has to manage the expectations of the membership regarding professionalism and acceptable standards.

You don't think anything should have happened to him, that's clear, although I wonder if you think there are behavioural issues which aren't in the purview of law enforcement or aren't illegal that should be managed?

In any case, even if you think there should have been no sanction, do you accept that there are people in the membership and as commercial sponsors who do have issues with it?

I think once you recognise that some others around the club take a dim view of this sort of thing then you're compelled to act. I personally think it was a bit too severe, but then again who knows what else is going on that we aren't privy to.
The club should of taken a stand and not given into the pressure

Apologies for being really unclear, I meant your stance across this whole JDG issue. I just happened to be at your quoted post when I felt compelled to write what I did. I wasn’t replying to your ‘last in first out’ post.
Oops, first in last out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back