Josh Gibson "walks out" on the club - Wants to go to Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope North and Hawks do a fair deal but it should be noted that he doesn't have to wait till the preseason draft to try to get to the hawks (same for Lake) if there is no trade.

Last year the AFL brought in a rule that means that if your team hasn't signed you by October 31st, you can delist yourself and go into the National draft. Now one of the teams might take Lake before pick 9 (if that is the pick the Hawks have by draft day), Maybe Sydney or Port but I reckon Gibson (with a decent price on his head) would get through close to 25th! If they didn't thats two picks used that wouldn't be used on kids that mean the Hawks would get better kids!

Although you always want kids, the Hawks are the youngest list and lost one of there oldest players and another mature player this year, so if they were to draft a couple of mature aged, ready made players, wouldn't be a huge problem. Sydney and Port have older lists and might not be able to justify passing on the kids.

So, when your talking of the Roos playing hard ball, remember Gibo could go into the National Draft or Preseason Draft.

Just a thought.

Re: Kangaroos Player "walks out" on the club

This sounds like draft tampering of the highest order.

I hardly think the AFL allow this sort of practise.
its done in contract all the time
1 mill for the first year, 250 for the second etc
as long as the club can get under the cap, there is no problems

People dismiss the second round draft picks, but it's not as though Josh Gibson is a gun. If you look back through previous drafts, a 2nd round pick (and possibly a c-grade player as a sweetener) is probably a fair trade for Gibson

23 David Zaharakis
24 Nic Suban
25 Jack Redden
26 Jayden Post
27 Samuel Wright
28 Shaun McKernan
29 Dayne Beams

23 Tayte Pears
24 Clayton Hinkley
25 Tom Collier
26 Brett Meredith
27 Andy Otten
28 Marlon Motlop
29 Brendan Whitecross

21 Gavin Urquhart
22 Albert Proud
23 Paul Stewart
24 Brent Renouf
25 Nathan Djerrkura
26 Shane Edwards
27 Brad Howard
28 Chris Dawes

26 Garrick Ibbotson
27 Dylan Addison
28 Matt Riggio
29 Ben McKinley
30 Nick Lower
31 Trent West
32 Bernie Vince
33 Samuel Gilbert
34 Matthew Spangher

23 Sean Rusling
24 Nathan Van Berlo
25 Adam Hartlett
26 Matthew Little
27 Pat Garner
28 Chad Gibson
29 Matt Rosa

Re: Josh gibson to hawthorn !!!!!

Either he gets traded or has to go in the pre season draft, if North refuse and get s**t all

Rubbish. O'Keefe and Thornton wanted to be traded as well, didn't get the offer and they re-signed.

Hawks offering him $800k over three years? Not sure who is getting any money at the club, we don't have a lot of senior players left, you would think all of our senior players are on $250k+ by default.

I didn't get that impression from the news story.

There is no way, or I would be incredibly surprised, if a player with Gibson's profile and ability to get a bigger contract, would walk from his club for a measly 270k a year.

So let me get this straight.

You believe that the hawk's have offered Gibson...$800,000...A YEAR???

Good grief.

You funny man...

So let me get this straight.

You believe that the hawk's have offered Gibson...$800,000...A YEAR???

Good grief.

You funny man...

That's what I thought I heard.

I too thought it was ridiculous but only went with what I heard, and thought the Hawks really were that desperate for a backman.

I was wrong.

my initial reaction to this is hawthorn will hold a gun to north's head, they won't budge, and the sheer terror of going to richmond, melbourne or freo will cause gibson to re-sign.

either that, or hawthorn will construct some sort of veale deal in order to butter up every club before us in the PSD except north, then gibson can price himself out of their wage structure but into ours.

or all the clubs ahead of us in the PSD could consider him "too old" or not good enough to be part of their "rebuild" and even at a relatively young age, we can "top up" with him without having to do a veale deal.

If money is the issue with josh then **** him. he can go.

north will attempt to up his contract but if its really what he wants then go.
hawthorn will have to offer something pretty decent for him and they have already made clear there 1st and 3rd round picks are available for trade.

and if they dont want to offer that they can always hope he goes nowhere in the drafts which i highly doubt

They're going to have to.

Your genius is flawed.

He can go into the draft.

If he wants to play with Hawthorn, he can nominate his price, and terms, to any suitors, and they have to agree before they draft him. That becomes

If he knows the Hawks will take him at Pick 9 in the PSD, we get him for naught.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As far as putting a price on his head...

If Gibson were to nominate for the draft and request say...$1,000,000 then which ever club takes him must pay him that amount for the first season. This means that if he did this Hawthorn would have to pay him at least $1,000,000 for the 2010 season alone and the negotiation would be for the following years.

Would the club do this though? What if he broke his leg in a game? You'd be paying him $1,000,000 in what is already a pretty full cap. Would Sydney be scared of that number?

He can't just say "I want a million!" and then change it if the Hawks get him. When he nominates for the draft he also nominates his salary. It's why Judd didn't want go to the PSD because Richmond were happy to pay him whatever he wanted.

I think that pick 25 and a fringe player (Thorp/Morton/Savage/Whitcross) for Gibson and the Roos third rounder is pretty fair but we know come trade week nothing will happen until friday when it will be pick 25 for Gibson straight up.

And where is Bret Thornton now?

Yeah, exactly... I said pick 9 will not be swapped for Gibson. The Roos will need to to do better

Carlton wanted our pick 6, but they were no hope

Bret Thornton is still at Carlton because basically, the Blues refused to trade him.
They had finished last or 2nd last and had threatened to re-draft Thornton in the PSD

It might've been argued in the courts that this ploy of Carlton's and the AFL rules were a restraint of trade

The loophole has been closed

We'll use our 2nd pick in the Nov draft if need be and the Roos will get nothing!

Its not the same as Thornton.
He was ok with it if a trade could be made.
He didnt walk out on the club,

All Gibson has to do is nominate a high price in the PSD to scare off other clubs and then re-negotiate the contract.
Its simple.
North will have to take what they are given

ROK walked out on Sydney, where is he now?

its done in contract all the time
1 mill for the first year, 250 for the second etc
as long as the club can get under the cap, there is no problems

Of course you can pay more in any given year but you said he will put a 1M price tage on his head and the re-nogotiate after signing. I don't believe this can be done. It is draft tampering. If it were allowed i'm quite sure ROK would have simply done it last season and entered into the PSD and ended uop at Essendon or Carlton but he didn't because he was too scared of being drafted by Melbourne, West Coast or Fremantly.

At the end of the day, as has been so publicly noted over the last few seasons, all the strength lies with the club that has the player and they can make it almost impossible for the player if they wish to keep him.

I'm tipping North will be adequately compensated or he will be in North colours next season.

I reckon the best and most unbiased proposal so far has been the one for Gibson + Norths 2nd round pick to Hawks for pick 9

Is it possible that Gibson has no intention of leaving North and his manager has made the whole thing up so his client gets a better deal?

This is, of course, always a possibility.

Well not getting Thornton didn't stop us winning a flag. We have other options if you want nothing for him then go for it. You lose a player and we lose nothing .

Well, if you think you are on the right path to win another premiership and have the players to achieve that then good luck to you guys.

Gibbo will re-sign before he goes into the PSD.

Its not the same as Thornton.
He was ok with it if a trade could be made.
He didnt walk out on the club,
Thornton said he wanted out. He was emphatic that he was leaving. His manager was emphatic that he was leaving. He was as good as gone. Don't undersell it. Carlton held firm, used the PSD as leverage and he re-signed.

All Gibson has to do is nominate a high price in the PSD to scare off other clubs and then re-negotiate the contract.
Its simple.
North will have to take what they are given

Rubbish. You have 7 other clubs to scare off first and foremost. Then whatever figure he nominates Hawthorn have to count under the salary cap next year regardless of what you actually pay him. There are rules regarding draft tampering which is why the AFL were watching the Judd to Carlton deal. It is a massive risk for Gibson but zero risk for the Hawks unless he nominates 700k a year for one year, or $2m for 3 years with a verbal understanding to renegotiate for a lower figure. If Gibson then got injured or didn't want to renegotiate the Hawks could do nothing about it without exposing themselves as draft tamperers. In the end, this sort of deal seldom gets off the ground.

The Roos need to be willing participants or need to blink first and not risk losing him for nothing in the PSD.

A long way to go on this one. Day 4-5 of trade week, here we come.

I think Josh may have hit his head on the bathroom sink again. And I suspect Hawthorn may have as well.

They want a key defender. Who couldn't get a game in the defence in a bottom 4 side ...

Yeah, exactly... I said pick 9 will not be swapped for Gibson. The Roos will need to to do better

Carlton wanted our pick 6, but they were no hope

Bret Thornton is still at Carlton because basically, the Blues refused to trade him.
They had finished last or 2nd last and had threatened to re-draft Thornton in the PSD

It might've been argued in the courts that this ploy of Carlton's and the AFL rules were a restraint of trade

The loophole has been closed

We'll use our 2nd pick in the Nov draft if need be and the Roos will get nothing!

This is the whole point. You Hawks supporters keep saying the Roos will get nothing but it will not be the case. Do you honestly think that Gibson will prefer to play for Melbourne or Fremantle in favour of re-signing with the Roos? I think not.

You would think that after all thgat went on last season people would realise how hard it is for players to move clubs.

North are in a relatively strong position imo. A position of comfort. Hawks come up with a resonable offer or Gibson re-signs.

2nd round pick does not cut it, nor does pick 9 from Hawks perspective. Some middle ground needs to be found.

Remove this Banner Ad

Josh Gibson "walks out" on the club - Wants to go to Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back