Recommitted Josh Kelly [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Just read a few posts about North being a young side etc, well, just having a quick glance at the stats for the weekend game against Fremantle, it seems North wasn't that young at all.

North Melbourne Games Fremantle
9 Less than 50 11
4 50 to 99 3
2 100 to 149 6
7 150 or more 2

North Melbourne Attribute Fremantle
187.5cm Height 186.2cm
87.2kg Weight 86.8kg
25yr 3mth Age 23yr 8mth
92.6 Games 69.2

And for all the talk about being a young side with plenty of youth in the team and coming through, I've gone through the stats for the year, and only 5 times was North on average younger then there opponent.

1 v WCE
2 v Geelong
3 v GWS - North younger by 2 months
4 v Adelaide - North younger by 2 months
5 v Sydney - North younger by 1 month

Every single other game North has on average been about 1-2 years older then there opponent, with majority of games having 7-8 150+ gamers.

And North supporters are delusional enough to think 1 player will be enough to turn the tide for them, if you think shunting out 3-4 experienced players that are vital cogs in your side and replacing them with unproven inexperienced kids and one gun in either Martin or Kelly will be enough to catapult you back into the top 8 then I have some magic beans you guys might be interested in.

True that a lot of norths youngsters aren't actually that young...early 20s at least as lots have been in the system for 3 years plus.

That stat can be misleading though...going by average age Carlton sometimes aren't that young but we have around 7 x 20 and under players each week...what lifts our age is guys like Murphy, Thomas, Simpson etc

Just read a few posts about North being a young side etc, well, just having a quick glance at the stats for the weekend game against Fremantle, it seems North wasn't that young at all.

North Melbourne Games Fremantle
9 Less than 50 11
4 50 to 99 3
2 100 to 149 6
7 150 or more 2

North Melbourne Attribute Fremantle
187.5cm Height 186.2cm
87.2kg Weight 86.8kg
25yr 3mth Age 23yr 8mth
92.6 Games 69.2

And for all the talk about being a young side with plenty of youth in the team and coming through, I've gone through the stats for the year, and only 5 times was North on average younger then there opponent.

1 v WCE
2 v Geelong
3 v GWS - North younger by 2 months
4 v Adelaide - North younger by 2 months
5 v Sydney - North younger by 1 month

Every single other game North has on average been about 1-2 years older then there opponent, with majority of games having 7-8 150+ gamers.

And North supporters are delusional enough to think 1 player will be enough to turn the tide for them, if you think shunting out 3-4 experienced players that are vital cogs in your side and replacing them with unproven inexperienced kids and one gun in either Martin or Kelly will be enough to catapult you back into the top 8 then I have some magic beans you guys might be interested in.

Here's a screen shot from the AFL site

IMG_0417.jpg

We don't actually because that simply won't happen. Our club has finally entered the modern world of AFL where quick fixes and saviours are a thing of the past. We have drafted 11 kids in two years, plus some handy trades and have promoted a consistent, measured message whether we have won or lost. Our future is so Damn bright and I'm loving it!!
Hahaha, that was the old Carlton, I have faith in the new Carlton. The club is in the second year of a rebuild, most Carlton supporters understand this. Winning games atm is great but the main thing I am enjoying is watching the players grow especially the blokes we have drafted in the last 2 years.
Bah ha ha, old Carlton, new Carlton.. it's the same Carlton. you've just brought the spin that's coming out of the club that's all.
Wait till the shiny new toy syndrome wears off and you'll be even more bitter.

At present you sit 16th on the ladder with a group of GWS rejects. Let that sink in for a second..

Here's a screen shot from the AFL site

View attachment 391674

Deary me.

MT is having a bad day.

Bah ha ha, old Carlton, new Carlton.. it's the same Carlton. you've just brought the spin that's coming out of the club that's all.

At present you sit 16th on the ladder with a group of GWS rejects. Let that sink in for a second..

We are supposedly being lectured about rebuilds by supporters of a club that has arguably never undergone a complete root and branch in the clubs entire history!!!!!!!!!!!

NekMinit, experts on rebuilds!!!!

Just let that sink in for a minute!!!!!!!:D:D:D

Last edited:

Your knowledge of football is deplorable. I'd rather have our list than norths any day of the week. Looking at wins and loses in isolation is misleading. We have been extremely competitive in all but one game and have lost games when we were in front in the last quarter on 5-6 occasions this year.

I don't have to convince you though. Time will tell and I am so excited to tag you in a post in a few years while you languish at the bottom

16th with 4 number 1 picks and 12 top ten picks. That is crazy bad.

Deary me.

MT is having a bad day.

The surprise is GWS. I guess with their talent farms they'll be ok.

The worry is StKilda as there best players are still in that older age bracket. They're really going to Struggle to replace Reiwoldt, especially as McCartin looks like a flop.

Your knowledge of football is deplorable. I'd rather have our list than norths any day of the week. Looking at wins and loses in isolation is misleading. We have been extremely competitive in all but one game and have lost games when we were in front in the last quarter on 5-6 occasions this year.

I don't have to convince you though. Time will tell and I am so excited to tag you in a post in a few years while you languish at the bottom
If wins and losses are meaningless and being competitive is how you gauge a successful rebuild year.. our percentage is higher than yours, our age profile is lower and we still belted the top team on the ladder..
And my knowledge of footy is deplorable, go figure.

True that a lot of norths youngsters aren't actually that young...early 20s at least as lots have been in the system for 3 years plus.

That stat can be misleading though...going by average age Carlton sometimes aren't that young but we have around 7 x 20 and under players each week...what lifts our age is guys like Murphy, Thomas, Simpson etc

It's a good point. North are trying to ride the fine line between remaining competitive and get games into youngsters.

At the end of the year swallow, Thomas, Waite and probably Goldy will be gone from our best 22. Maybe even Thompson if Neilson comes on.

Scott gets bagged about not playing the kids but i think that is vey unfair (not that I'm a fan of Scott).

Extremely competitive in all but 1 game? Are you saying a 43 point loss is in your view extremely competitive?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this is a large point North fans simply can't quite grasp, there are a handful of Victorian clubs with the cap space and currency needed to acquire the services of Kelly, if all 3-4 clubs offers are on par or thereaboits, like Treloar before him, he will go to the one where he believes he has the best chance of success.

Treloar went to Collingwood because of the clubs high profile. He openly admitted to opportunities in the media later as being a reason for his choice.

GWS did a deal with Collingwood because of the absurd price they were offering.

The surprise is GWS. I guess with their talent farms they'll be ok.

The worry is StKilda as there best players are still in that older age bracket. They're really going to Struggle to replace Reiwoldt, especially as McCartin looks like a flop.
Our best 10 players right now would comprise of:
Seb Ross (24)
Dylan Roberton (26)
Jack Billings (21)
Jack Newnes (24)
Nick Riewoldt (34)
Jack Steven (27)
Tim Membrey (23)
Jake Carlisle (25)
Jack Sinclair (22)
Leigh Montagna (33)

So yes there are a couple of oldies still in our best but neither are our best player and only one of them would be in our top 5. Overall that's a decently young core to be building around, and lines up with the club's plan of working towards 2020.

Our best 10 players right now would comprise of:
Seb Ross (24)
Dylan Roberton (26)
Jack Billings (21)
Jack Newnes (24)
Nick Riewoldt (34)
Jack Steven (27)
Tim Membrey (23)
Jake Carlisle (25)
Jack Sinclair (22)
Leigh Montagna (33)

So yes there are a couple of oldies still in our best but neither are our best player and only one of them would be in our top 5. Overall that's a decently young core to be building around, and lines up with the club's plan of working towards 2020.

Trevor Barker Award 2016 — Top 5 places

1. Jack Steven (172 votes) - 27

2. Jarryn Geary (157) - 29

3. Nick Riewoldt (153) - 34

4. Leigh Montagna (127) - 33

5. Jack Newnes (125) - 24

Average age: 29.4 years

Trevor Barker Award 2016 — Top 5 places

1. Jack Steven (172 votes) - 27

2. Jarryn Geary (157) - 29

3. Nick Riewoldt (153) - 34

4. Leigh Montagna (127) - 33

5. Jack Newnes (125) - 24

Average age: 29.4 years
That was last year lol, I said right now

I think the natural improvement of other players and players being traded in will more than make up for the output of those two.

Phwoar, good luck with that.

I can understand Montagna, he is little more than a link/accumulator type. but Reiwoldt is crucial to your forward structure and most importantly the oppositions defence structure. Do you think you would have flogged Richmond without Roo taking out Rance?

You can only bring in one bloke when you retire one bloke. All of your current tall forwards would have to increase their output by at least 25% across the board to cover his loss.

Essendon or Cats - which jumper you pulling on?
Probably the Cats if money is equal or close. Cats will be around the mark for a few more years and despite us having some good kids and a ok list I think we are realistically a couple of years away from having a decent crack at it. Playing at Etihad every second week doesn't appeal to me either.

Phwoar, good luck with that.

I can understand Montagna, he is little more than a link/accumulator type. but Reiwoldt is crucial to your forward structure and most importantly the oppositions defence structure. Do you think you would have flogged Richmond without Roo taking out Rance?

You can only bring in one bloke when you retire one bloke. All of your current tall forwards would have to increase their output by at least 25% across the board to cover his loss.
A lot depends on McCartin obviously. Even if he doesn't make it though, we have some other tall forwards going alright in the VFL, Carlisle can do a job up forward if needed, and there'll be key forwards available through free agency if we end up desperate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Josh Kelly [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back