Remove this Banner Ad

sliver member

Team Captain
Suspended
Oct 6, 2010
darwin
AFL Club
Adelaide
For people who don't know Chris Judd has been given 4 weeks for his chicken wing on Leigh Adams. I believe he has been given a harsh penalty compared to wellingham who has to serve only a 3 week spell for his hit on Simpson than the system is more screwed up than I thought.

I personally believe that their should get rid of the discount for a good record your you will continue to see players who commit less serve offences spend more time off the field than those players up for serve offences.

Last point, the match review panel should stop relying so much on the medical reports detailing the severity of player injuries to determine how long the player responsible should spend on the sidelines.

The real thing that this year has shown needs to be reviewed in my opinion is the loading given/taken away for early pleas and prior good or bad records. Distorts the results way too much and gives way to ignorant commentary like this imo.

Edit - I should add, I've played football my whole life and didn't think Wellingham's was actually that bad. Judd's was repulsive though.

Hard to compare what Judd did to other penalties given that there has never been anything like it in football before. I still have no idea what he was doing. Yes, trying to hurt him. But why? With so many cameras he was always going to get in trouble. Did he subconsciously want to be suspended? Has the pressure of leading the Blues got to him?

Hard to compare what Judd did to other penalties given that there has never been anything like it in football before. I still have no idea what he was doing. Yes, trying to hurt him. But why? With so many cameras he was always going to get in trouble. Did he subconsciously want to be suspended? Has the pressure of leading the Blues got to him?

You could also say the same thing about eye gouging and pressure points though?

Maybe just a profoundly dumb footballer?

Maybe he wanted someones shoulders to be as bad as his

The real thing that this year has shown needs to be reviewed in my opinion is the loading given/taken away for early pleas and prior good or bad records. Distorts the results way too much and gives way to ignorant commentary like this imo.
Agree.

The percentages do my head in.

Why does someone who does a terrible crime and get a harsh penalty get more taken off their suspension than a player who does a minor indiscretion? It should be a set amount, eg 50 points.

No you cop 500 points, early plea and you're down to 375 - 5 games becomes 3.

Cop 150 points, early plea and you're down to 112.5 - 1 game stays 1.

Edit - I should add, I've played football my whole life and didn't think Wellingham's was actually that bad. Judd's was repulsive though.
Agree again. Wellingham's was bad but it was split second. Judd's was prolonged, calculated unusualness.

Agree.

The percentages do my head in.

Why does someone who does a terrible crime and get a harsh penalty get more taken off their suspension than a player who does a minor indiscretion? It should be a set amount, eg 50 points.

No you cop 500 points, early plea and you're down to 375 - 5 games becomes 3.

Cop 150 points, early plea and you're down to 112.5 - 1 game stays 1.

Agree again. Wellingham's was bad but it was split second. Judd's was prolonged, calculated unusualness.
Great description. :thumbsu:

Ziebel had eyes only for the ball and got 4. Judd's act got the same, which is unbelievable. I am annoyed every time I hear in the media that this is a "chicken wing tackle". It wasn't a tackle at all. Adams was on the ground face down with a Carlton player on top of him when Judd came in and dislocated his shoulder. Judd should have gone for much longer.
Am I surprised with the sanction imposed? No. The current system is predictably inconsistent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ziebel got 4 too!

bullshit really??? thats rubbish. if ever there was a case of incidental contact that was it.

i'm sick of players getting rubbed out for accidental stuff. I think they got it right for Judd. deliberate or "traditional" footy violence has to go. i dont even care if the soft gut punches and jumper punches get rubbed out because theres just no need for that stuff, and theres little debate to be had over intent. yet somehow some of these still get called reckless rather than intentional.

cut the players some slack and let them attack the ball and player without the risk of missing weeks. isnt the option to pay a free kick there?? shouldn't that be the penalty for accidental stuff?

taking medical reports as evidence determine whether an act is a reportable offence is also stupid. especially for concussions. you can belt someone in the head one time and he's fine. do it again and get him one cm to the side and he out cold. also, some players an take a hit, others cant. eg. if thommo cops an identical whack to hendo, the result will be different.

and i absolutely agree with what someone said above about the discounts. 5 weeks to 3 is ridiculous. i also dont think any discount should be available for reports graded as intentional.

the whole systems a farce.

There's something weird about Judd.

Eye gouging, trying to debilitate a player via pressure points, and the latest one.

In all 3 cases, they are cowardly vicious attacks meant to hurt a player who is already on the ground and defenceless, as they are being held by someone else.

Judd does these acts cold-bloodedly. He didn't just grab Adam's arm and twist it back while Carazzo was lying on him. He grasped the elbow with his right hand and the lower arm with his left, as that way he could lock the arm straight, and then pulled it backwards and inwards, which is why the shoulder was dislocated.

We're not talking about football incidents with Judd, whereas those of Ziebell and Wellingham, while on the brutal side, are the type of thing that will always happen in footy.

What did Judd do for kicks as a kid?? Pull wings off of flies?? Pull the legs of an ant off one by one??

I can see why the MRP sent this one off to the tribunal as sadism doesn't come under their jurisdiction.

Ziebel got 4 too!

This kind of stuff is the reason why Adelaide haven't tried appealing Walker's charges; they realise the MRP is a kangaroo court and akin to banging ones head against a brick wall - While I understand why supporters get frustrated with Adelaide for not 'sticking up for our players' by challenging bad MRP calls, this case just highlights that Adelaide have probably made the right call by not challenging...

Remember the old tribunal system? We will never be happy no matter how it is done. Agree about the discount for guilty pleas working in an unfair manner though. There will a.ways be wildly divergent views on what penalty particular offences should get. Ziebell got four due to a bad record and taking the matter on, he rolled the dice and lost.

they need to re-access they way they look at things

accidents need to remain accidents - I don't care what the end result is

the AFL is turning into a Caricature of Australian rules football rather than the pinnicale.

Reassess even?

Edit - Sorry, mean, smart phone post?

maybe Judd is sick of being tagged and so when he sees someone defenceless he can't help himself

or maybe he is just revealing his inner Voldemort

129040534295213058.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Judd vs Wellingham suspensions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back