Just watched a bit of the Melbourne Game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Senor Ed

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Doggies
I'm sorry if this has already been brought up, but I missed the game vs Melbourne so I'm watching a replay now. For those people who believe that criticism of Cam Wight is not warranted, please watch the first 10 minutes of the game.

In the ten minutes of the game which I have watched, in the 4 contests that Wight has been involved in, he has returned 4 clangers (handball which resulted in the goal to Davey, running back and taking Gilbee out of a contest which let Johnson (melb) have a shot at goal, free kick for high contest to Johnson (melb) on the fifty and a dropped mark where the ball was turned over).

No only do turnovers cost goal but momentum cops a pounding. I think that Wight needs to prove his worth in the VFL before he is selected just because we are short of defenders

I am all for supporting young players, but when it come to a stage where we cringe when a player gets the ball, enough is enough.

Does anyone know whether additional work has been put in to helping Wight in pressure situations in the pre-season to combat the errors?

If not, why not?

He shouldn't have to watch the rest of the game to make up his mind maybe.
4 clangers in 10 minutes when the game is their to be won and get a momentum swing is dealt that is to much for a player in one whole game.

Our only problem is after Wight we don't have much depth in Key Position Players.

4 clangers in 10 minutes when the game is their to be won and get a momentum swing is dealt that is to much for a player in one whole game.

Our only problem is after Wight we don't have much depth in Key Position Players.

No, you're right he should make up his mind based upon 1/12 of the evidence at hand. that's what i always do. That's why i think Jason Akermanis is rubbish, because I watched the first 10 minutes of the match last week and made up my mind based on that.
The fact is that yes Cam, had an ordinary start to the game, but he improved and did some good things along the way. Is he Darren Glass? No and he probably never will be, but he is improving and will have to, to keep his place in the team once the competitors for his spot are fit.

Don't worry about Wight, he's a stop gap measure until Williams and or Everitt come back.

After that it's back to Willy.

I hope Williams and Everitt are champions, but they have played 13 and 8 games respectively. Everitt hasn't played in a key position at AFL level yet and Williams hasn't beaten anybody while playing at CHB yet. Though he was given an absolute bath by Hansen and then Seaby cleaned him up when moved to the pocket. By all means let's criticise players when they stuff up and applaud players when they do well, but the extreme views regularly espoused in this forum regarding Wight, Williams and Everitt are premature to the point of being plain silly.

I hope Williams and Everitt are champions, but they have played 13 and 8 games respectively. Everitt hasn't played in a key position at AFL level yet and Williams hasn't beaten anybody while playing at CHB yet. Though he was given an absolute bath by Hansen and then Seaby cleaned him up when moved to the pocket. By all means let's criticise players when they stuff up and applaud players when they do well, but the extreme views regularly espoused in this forum regarding Wight, Williams and Everitt are premature to the point of being plain silly.

All I'm saying is that Williams and Everitt have far more potential and are better players than Wight.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

I'm sorry if this has already been brought up, but I missed the game vs Melbourne so I'm watching a replay now. For those people who believe that criticism of Cam Wight is not warranted, please watch the first 10 minutes of the game.

In the ten minutes of the game which I have watched, in the 4 contests that Wight has been involved in, he has returned 4 clangers (handball which resulted in the goal to Davey, running back and taking Gilbee out of a contest which let Johnson (melb) have a shot at goal, free kick for high contest to Johnson (melb) on the fifty and a dropped mark where the ball was turned over).

No only do turnovers cost goal but momentum cops a pounding. I think that Wight needs to prove his worth in the VFL before he is selected just because we are short of defenders

I am all for supporting young players, but when it come to a stage where we cringe when a player gets the ball, enough is enough.

Does anyone know whether additional work has been put in to helping Wight in pressure situations in the pre-season to combat the errors?

If not, why not?

Yeah but everyone can make mistakes when there is a bit of pressure applied.

running back and taking Gilbee out of a contest

Quite seriously how the ____ can anyone call this a clanger? If he stood there and didn't back into the contest you would complain that he is soft. Gilbee should have been more aware perhaps....or perhaps it is neither ones fault and shit happens at times.

All I'm saying is that Williams and Everitt have far more potential and are better players than Wight.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Wight has never been toweled up as badly as Williams was either. I think Williams will be the better player but he aint coming back for a good few weeks yet and even then he will have to play for Willy first and attempt to get some form / confidence. Long long way to go for Tom

I hope your critical eye is being cast over the rest of our players.

Even though I gave him 4 votes in the "ching" I did notice Crossy missed a few handballs.

Wight is being targeted unfairly. He made a few errors in the first quarter but he certainly wasn't Robinson Crusoe and with the 10 inches of rain that had been falling, it wasn't the greatest quarter for big men, hence the scoreline and number of errors stats being high at quarter time. Wight played well against Adelaide and he came into the game well against Melbourne. Certainly when Tom Williams is up and fit he will probably take the mantle at CHB but I think Wight is doing a good job and tonight's game will give us a better idea as to where he is at as he will have to take a big guy, probably Kosi, who is a mountain.

No, you're right he should make up his mind based upon 1/12 of the evidence at hand. that's what i always do. That's why i think Jason Akermanis is rubbish, because I watched the first 10 minutes of the match last week and made up my mind based on that.
The fact is that yes Cam, had an ordinary start to the game, but he improved and did some good things along the way. Is he Darren Glass? No and he probably never will be, but he is improving and will have to, to keep his place in the team once the competitors for his spot are fit.

Yes he did ordinary things when the game was in the balance. When the team has the game rapped up he seems to lift because the pressure is off. Even I could do a good job when the pressure is off for the Bulldogs.

Ill just wait until tonight's game and then we can see what he has to offer for the dogs :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wight has done very little to engender any confidence that he will make the grade......but we should perservere for the time being. He must eliminate basic mistakes however. I do not consider backing into a pack to be a basic mistake....just bad luck. If he'd managed to make an effective spoil that resulted in us getting the ball, supporters would be full of compliments. His other clangers were poor however.

It is true that Williams has not really beaten anyone of note yet...but you would have to be a very poor judge not to have seen the elements in his game that suggest he is going to be a valuable player in the future if he can just get a decent break.

Certainly Eade is of this opinion. Listening to him on radio this week he stated that he expects Williams to be back playing with Willi in round 5 and back in the seniors by round 7.

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched a bit of the Melbourne Game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back