Opinion Kane Cornes media career thread

Still a club champion? Or journalist shit stain?

• I still think he's alright

Votes: 62 25.2%
  • Total Shit Stain

Votes: 143 58.1%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 41 16.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ill forever have love respect and gratitude to every single one of the champions that took the field against Brisbane.

That said, if I was to rank them, Kornes sits a pretty clear 22nd of that group.

Not only his piss poor media record, but his selfish actions de-railing the 2015 season. If he truly wanted to be a firey he should have had the guts to retire at the end of 2014.
Yep, totally agree and believe this. His and his enabler's actions (Hinkley) stuffed the 2015 season. What an unbelievably selfish act by both. That's just one of the many reasons he (Hinkley) should be/have been sacked.

Kane’s career is an odd one with the first half being undoubtedly better than the second half. Weirdly the timing of his accolades suggests otherwise but I’d take an honest trier like Cassisi over Kane from 2008 onwards.

His post-playing career does nothing to change this and I don’t really get the premise of this thread tbh.

I don't mind Kane in the media. To me, he seems to present more logical and rational arguments than most other football media bods.

Most technically-gifted footballer I’ve ever seen. With more robust shoulders and a lust for the game, he’d have been a Hall of Famer.

What people forget is that he wasn't just flashy, but he nailed the fundamentals too.

He rarely missed a handball, he didn't shank drop punt set shots for goal (unless in Tassie), he didn't drop easy marks.

People used to wet themselves over Stevie J at the time, but **** that. Motlop could do everything he could do and a lot he couldn't, like kick a goal from 20m straight in front.

One of my favourite memories of Daniel Motlop was at AAMI against Carlton in 2010.

He was in a one-on-one with Bryce Gibbs, Gibbs lost his feet and Motlop was running into goal, turned around, saw Gibbs on the ground and pissed himself laughing as he waltzed into an open goal.

What people forget is that he wasn't just flashy, but he nailed the fundamentals too.

He rarely missed a handball, he didn't shank drop punt set shots for goal (unless in Tassie), he didn't drop easy marks.

People used to wet themselves over Stevie J at the time, but fu** that. Motlop could do everything he could do and a lot he couldn't, like kick a goal from 20m straight in front.

His inside out check side from 50 at the GABBA was, in all honesty, the greatest goal I have ever seen, yet Lloyd got the GOTY gong for a backheel on the goal line my grandma could do.

Last edited:
Kane Cornes is in the media and needs to do what he needs to do to be relevant. We should hope and pray he is successful and influential as he is a strong advocate for our club, something we sorely need in the media.

Ill forever have love respect and gratitude to every single one of the champions that took the field against Brisbane.

That said, if I was to rank them, Kornes sits a pretty clear 22nd of that group.

Not only his piss poor media record, but his selfish actions de-railing the 2015 season. If he truly wanted to be a firey he should have had the guts to retire at the end of 2014.

As Ian Chappell said it is better to have people say, 'why did you retire than why don't you retire'. The derailing of 2015 had more to do with our physical fitness guru over cooking the players in Dubai than it had to do with an individual player. The players were ****ed when they came back from Dubai and it showed. Kane's last game was in round 8 and by that time we had lost 5 from 8 so our season was well on way out.

Kane isnt a journalist.

He hasnt done a cadetship or a degree.

He is a shock jock commentator.

Yes, but he's our shock jock commentator.

He triggers the supporters of 17 other clubs in a way we've been triggered by every other hack since the dawn of football time.

There's things he could do better for the club (Bars/Hinkley), but on the whole he does something in the media that we as a club/supporters have never had.

Liam Jurrah was an elite football talent too. Talent without application isn't enough.

Motlop played nearly 100 more games than Jurrah. He had application, certainly no less than his brother who's probably end up with 100 more games than Daniel. Maybe standards were just different back then. Maybe not elite application but enough to work with, not against.

I'd have average Daniel over average Steven any day of the week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kane's skill is being a shock jock but its also his weakness.
Some times I ready a headline and think, ohhh interesting and controversial. Then I read who wrote it and move along because "it's just Kane". I think i take him less seriously because he stirs the pot way to much. Like the boy who cried wolf, only with to many exaggerated opinions.

Yet, he works in journalism; even if mostly in the “entertainment” side of the business. Covering sports is still journalism.
He works in the media. The media is made up of journalists, commentators, broadcasters, guest writers and autocue readers.

Journalists have a different level of training to the others.

That's a bit like saying because I play football at an amateur level, I'm a footballer, just like those elite footballers.

Last edited:
Most of Kane's opinions as a pundit aren't even controversial. His strength is that he's willing to call out players/coaches/administrators (apart Koch/Hinkley).

AFL punditry has a huge issue where because everyone is mates with everyone and everyone wants more access, they go soft when they should go hard.

As a player, Daniel Motlop had more ability, but Kane is probably only rivaled by Boak is the most professional player we've had at the club, and absolutely got the most out of his talent.

As Ian Chappell said it is better to have people say, 'why did you retire than why don't you retire'. The derailing of 2015 had more to do with our physical fitness guru over cooking the players in Dubai than it had to do with an individual player. The players were f’ed when they came back from Dubai and it showed. Kane's last game was in round 8 and by that time we had lost 5 from 8 so our season was well on way out.

He announced his retirement round 5 and that distraction clearly hung over those players for those games.

Not to mention if he had gone at the end of 2014 we would have known the hole was there and could have tried to fill it, rather than trying when it was too late. If unsuccessful thats our problem, not his, but we deserved honesty so we could try.

There was no reason for him to be in any game in 2015 other than him trying to get to 300 individual games. Its the most selfish act Ive ever seen by an AFL footballer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Kane Cornes media career thread

Back