Remove this Banner Ad

ctrain07

Team Captain
Oct 8, 2007
Glen Waverley
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hey guys.
I think now is the time to take a deep breath for everyone at the football club and supporters as well. This year has been very frustraiting to watch and at times i as well have found myself frustraited with some players efforts but I now see light at the end of the tunnel. We need to realise we have lost a lot of tallent, Johnson, Eagleton, Harbrow, Hahn (rookie), Akermanis. Key players such as Cooney, Hall, Hargrave, Lake have all had an interupted pre season. It was always going to be tough to cover these players. Even though some players havn't come on as we would have hoped there is always a positive to be found. One players loss means anothers gain and this season is all about giving players a chance to show us what they have to offer.

The future looks bright with some extremely good young tallent coming through and a debt that will hopefully be gone soon. This might be a difficult period that we are going through but all teams have them! We need to stick with the boys and support them throughout the season. We have some real tallent and even though it is hard to see it now, the results will come as long as we are patient. It is time to prepare ourselves because there are no quick fixes. So take a breath, compose yourself, realise it is a very young team and remember that even though it may take time, these doggies players will come good!

I've checked out on 2011. Resigned to the fact, our chances have come and gone and realisations that a rebuild is upon us. We will no doubt lose more games than we win in the 2nd half of the year, but their is plenty of promise in our younger players. The more games we get into these guys the better, as they say "the children our our future"!:thumbsu:

We will no doubt delist/trade for picks at the end of the year and build up for 2014-5. Possibly lose a couple of big names, but what we do from here on end, must be done for the betterment of our prospects in the coming years. It'll be hard, gut wrenching and tearful, but sadly a necessity.

Until then...

For God's sake, take you rose colored glasses off. We are the laughing stock of the competition right now. I would rather have teeth pulled than have to watch tonights game again. It's a long, long way back from here.

Good on you Ctrain, all teams have experienced a time when they lose a lot of talent and experience and find younger players are too inexperienced or not up to it. (Melbourne 2007, Adelaide 2009, West Coast 2008 etc) We are not the laughing stock, it is just the realisation that it is our turn.

Personally, excited about some of our young players - especially the Dal:thumbsu::)

Chin up, once you realise the season is shot, just focus on watching and encouraging the young players. It is also a time for our supporters to get in a good pre season:rolleyes:

I think we've found a player in Jones as well. Nice hands and he looks like he'll put on weight so he'll be able to compete. Got to work on his kicking technique though. Get the goal kicking coaches in now to train him.

I understand that you have to keep faith, but I dont how why Dogs Rules was wrong....depending on the age of you guys, if your young you can accept a rebuild and another tilt a the flag in a couple of years.

Others cant, some have been waiting for many years and IMO they have the right to have a small complaint every now and again about how hard it is to watch the team play.

I have seen one flag in my life, and had to wait a fair while but the 2nd is approaching and if we were to suddenly drop off the pace and start blooding plays...I would be frustrated as well.

You have to keep the faith because you love the club, just dont shoot down people are might be a bit angry or frustrated....they may have been waiting for that premiership a little longer than you.

I don't like watching the doggies lose, but I do enjoy watching the new guys play, as well as some of the older guys like Murphy and more recently Gia, who seems to have found a little more spirit on the field lately. This eases the frustration for me.

Seeing Ward, Libba, Wallis, Howard, Jones and now Dalhaus play excites me because I know with a little more time, they are going to be champions. I mean, these guys have put their bodies on the line quite a bit, which is something that was lacking for a little while at the club with the exception of a couple of players.

As a long term member, I don't want the club getting a new coach for the sake of a new coach. The skills of the players need to improve, but the endeavour of the young blokes last night was top shelf.

I still believe Rocket is a terrific coach and would be very disappointed if we picked up some new hack like a lot of other Melbourne clubs have done because the team isn't performing at the moment. The pressure should be on the senior players whose skills and decision making has been appalling, not the coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand that you have to keep faith, but I dont how why Dogs Rules was wrong....depending on the age of you guys, if your young you can accept a rebuild and another tilt a the flag in a couple of years.

Others cant, some have been waiting for many years and IMO they have the right to have a small complaint every now and again about how hard it is to watch the team play.

I have seen one flag in my life, and had to wait a fair while but the 2nd is approaching and if we were to suddenly drop off the pace and start blooding plays...I would be frustrated as well.

You have to keep the faith because you love the club, just dont shoot down people are might be a bit angry or frustrated....they may have been waiting for that premiership a little longer than you.

It's more often people showing any positivity get shot down here. All of us feel the frustration and maybe anger. Nobody is shooting down Dogsrule, fully understand where they are coming from!
:eek:

It's more often people showing any positivity get shot down here. All of us feel the frustration and maybe anger. Nobody is shooting down Dogsrule, fully understand where they are coming from!
:eek:

Yer I dont mean just Dogsrule, people (not doggies posters) were having a go at him for being negative.

Its like at Carlton, from here on I expect at least a Grand Final (I know it will be hard) and anything else is a failure.

You shouldnt be happy about the drafting of new players, but asking why they werent being slowly filtered in, instead of doing them all at once.....

There are so many quality players, you know who they are and they derserve to be playing off in Premierships now....what can you do with a Griffin in 3/4 years where he looks at a Buckley and is just craving a shot at a flag?

You have great players, and they want success.

I know this might be sounding like a bag, but im looking to put my side on it.

As a long term member, I don't want the club getting a new coach for the sake of a new coach. The skills of the players need to improve, but the endeavour of the young blokes last night was top shelf.

I still believe Rocket is a terrific coach and would be very disappointed if we picked up some new hack like a lot of other Melbourne clubs have done because the team isn't performing at the moment. The pressure should be on the senior players whose skills and decision making has been appalling, not the coach.

Same here. If a rebuild is going to happen/is happening, I think Rocket should get the responsibility, for the purpose of continuity and stability.

I'm 29, so I'm not that old, so I'd like to think I've got a fair amount of life in me yet.

Seeing my club in its current state hurts like hell - we're a rabble. What really gets to me is people who get on here when we're 3-8 and make out all is well.

Unfortunately the club and its supporters accept mediocrity. We lose three PFs in a row and say "oh well, there's always next year". It's such a crap attitude.

I know we will improve and get better, but there wouldn't be one Bulldogs supporter who wouldn't have genuinely thought we were a massive chance at finally breaking the premiership drought this year. To know we are way, way back in the pecking order now is gut-wrenching.

Look at Geelong, they've been up for five years and they've got to flags and possibly another this year to show for it. We were up for three years and we've got squat. Hang on, we've got a NAB Cup flag. :rolleyes:

We have a coach who it seems hasn't adapted to the modern game, a petulant full back who needs to be grabbed by the neck and told to get his **** together and fast, a forward (Hill) would couldn't give a stuff and a team which has all the functionality of Melbourne's train network.

Fellow Dogs supporters can call me a whinger or whatever they like, but when I look at teams like Carlton (last flag 95), Essendon (last flag '00), Hawthorn (last flag '08), Geelong (last flag '09), Collingwood (last flag '10), West Coast (last flag '06) in the eight and preparing for a serious tilt, it frustrates me.

As supporters, we can do nothing about it, but apart from Freo, Richmond, Melbourne and us are the only teams who have not won a flag in the last 30 years.

I don't know...I know some people like to be positive about even the most hopeless of situations, but it's difficult for me to be positive now.

To know we won't have a shot at the flag and that we won't get that heady mix of excitement, butterflies and sheer nervousness in our guts come the finals is tough to accept.

Dogs Rule:

Mate, you don't own the pain just because you can't be positive about anything. People who say stuff like 'there's always next year' - that may be just their way of coping.
I don't see anyone in here saying that anyway nor anyone who thinks all is rosy! Just different ways of coping with it.
This accepting mediocrity I don't buy. Nobody wants mediocrity.
PS I'm 57 so have been waiting a fair while for some silverware ;)

Dogs Rule:

Mate, you don't own the pain just because you can't be positive about anything. People who say stuff like 'there's always next year' - that may be just their way of coping.
I don't see anyone in here saying that anyway nor anyone who thinks all is rosy! Just different ways of coping with it.
This accepting mediocrity I don't buy. Nobody wants mediocrity.
PS I'm 57 so have been waiting a fair while for some silverware ;)

You're right, and I know that we all feel the pain, regardless of our outlook.

Just hope the club, and all of us for that matter, have truly moved on accepting near enough is good enough.

I will take joy in seeing the efforts of our kids and the likes of Boyd, Cross, Picken, Ward and Morris who work their tails off every week.

I'm still in denial over the fact we'll miss the finals (unless there's a miracle).

But, nothing would give me greater satisfaction than beating the Crows next week.

I know we will improve and get better, but there wouldn't be one Bulldogs supporter who wouldn't have genuinely thought we were a massive chance at finally breaking the premiership drought this year.

I know it misses your point a bit, but there were plenty of Dogs supporters who thought we weren't a chance this year. Speaking for myself, I thought we'd be lucky to end up 5th or 6th and win one Final.

But even I am surprised by the way we've just stopped dead. It's like 2007 on steroids.

Fact is there has only been one year in the last 3 that we didn't play to our potential - and that was 2009. We should have won that PF. Other than that we simply weren't good enough to earn GF spots.

But the fact that we got that close despite some truly rubbish list management in the early 2000s was a testimony to our players, coach and club, and we should be proud of that.

Now we need to buckle down, and do things right for a couple of years - no rubbish short cuts (a la Rawlings) - take our medicine, and hopefully next time we can finish the job.

We can still make the finals. If we hit them in form then who knows. Unlikely, but what would be the point of playing if the result was a foregone conclusion?

Adelaide - they are pretty crap at the moment. We had a go against the Saints, and even though the skills were terrible, it would be good enough to beat the Crows. Possible Win #4.

Gold Coast - no excuses in this one. Possible win #5.

Melbourne - Collingwood will show tomorrow that Melb aren't much chop at all. Possible win #6.

Carlton - we are no chance at this point in time.

North - possible win #7

Sydney - while we are a bit off them now, we have 6 weeks to improve enough to beat a team that we have had the better of in the past. We're a chance. Possible win #8

West Coast - they are a different team away from WA. Lake should be back for us by then, so they won't utterly dominate us on our home track. Possible win # 9

Essendon - Freo showed today that Essendon were playing well above themselves earlier in the year. Possible win # 10

Port Adelaide - come on. We're not travelling that bad are we? Possible win #11

Hawthorn - Unlikely at best. They might capitulate without Roughy and drop off.

Freo - us at home, fighting for a finals berth should see us throw everything at these folks, and they are Freo ffs. Possible win #12

We're not completely done just yet. Lake, Cooney, Grant?, Hall? should see some improvement, and Jones, Dahl, Wood, Howard, Libba will get better with every week of development we put into them.

The match with the Saints wasn't make or break, but this week is. If we can get a win, it might get the ball rolling.

Friggin hell, I just settled Dogs Rule down a bit! :eek:
Put a few $ on this with a bookie and we can pay off the club debts! :p

We can still make the finals. If we hit them in form then who knows. Unlikely, but what would be the point of playing if the result was a foregone conclusion?

Adelaide - they are pretty crap at the moment. We had a go against the Saints, and even though the skills were terrible, it would be good enough to beat the Crows. Possible Win #4.

Gold Coast - no excuses in this one. Possible win #5.

Melbourne - Collingwood will show tomorrow that Melb aren't much chop at all. Possible win #6.

Carlton - we are no chance at this point in time.

North - possible win #7

Sydney - while we are a bit off them now, we have 6 weeks to improve enough to beat a team that we have had the better of in the past. We're a chance. Possible win #8

West Coast - they are a different team away from WA. Lake should be back for us by then, so they won't utterly dominate us on our home track. Possible win # 9

Essendon - Freo showed today that Essendon were playing well above themselves earlier in the year. Possible win # 10

Port Adelaide - come on. We're not travelling that bad are we? Possible win #11

Hawthorn - Unlikely at best. They might capitulate without Roughy and drop off.

Freo - us at home, fighting for a finals berth should see us throw everything at these folks, and they are Freo ffs. Possible win #12

We're not completely done just yet. Lake, Cooney, Grant?, Hall? should see some improvement, and Jones, Dahl, Wood, Howard, Libba will get better with every week of development we put into them.

The match with the Saints wasn't make or break, but this week is. If we can get a win, it might get the ball rolling.

Seriously, look at that draw and tell me that it could be better than that. We don't have to go from where we are at now, to being able to match Collingwood in the space of one round. Constant improvement is the key, and we have a favourable draw to achieve this. Are you saying we have no chance against Adelaide? 5% improvement is capable every week once we get some continuity into our team. Higgins improved by 5% this week. Jones is taking steps. Howard is showing good signs. If and when Lake comes back, he won't be the same one as we have seen so far this year. Cooney in improves our whole side by 10% alone. Grant is a 5% improvement on DJ. Veszpremi will get a crack at some stage, and he has skill and polish and can finish when others haven't been able to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Keep the faith!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back