Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2012 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey KM

If Hogan was in this years draft not the mini draft where would you rate him out of the KPP? 2nd after Daniher?

Certainly behind Daniher but would have to be the best of the rest.

Really can't wait until all the concessions are done..

Imagine if everyone were available this year, it'd (surely) be spoken about as highly as the '01 draft was..

With O'Meara and Crouch it would be a very good draft but the 01 draft was a one in ten year draft.

A draft with Ablett, Judd and Swan all in the one year. That's special.

This year might be closer to the quality of 2006 and 2008 drafts with O'Meara and Crouch but I'd say the same about 2010 and 2011 if Gold Coast and GWS didn't have all that prelisted talent.

A draft with Ablett, Judd and Swan all in the one year. That's special.
(Sorry to drag off-topic)

Was it really that special at the time? Swan went pick 58 and Ablett despite being a F/S was not widely regarded as being one of the top talents. Who's to say pick 58 in this year's draft won't turn into a brownlow medallist? Almost every draft has someone very low in the order who turns into a star. Sampi, Molan, Clarke, Cole, Watson, Brooks - a fair few disappointing first rounders suggests the draft wasn't as super as its often claimed.

2005 had Andrew Swallow at 43 and Kieren Jack in the rookie draft - if they go on to become exceptional players, which you could argue is in process, I don't think that makes it a superdraft. It could be argued as a superdraft on the basis of Murphy/Thomas/Pendlebury (2001's equivalent was Hodge/Ball/Judd)

(Sorry to drag off-topic)

Was it really that special at the time? Swan went pick 58 and Ablett despite being a F/S was not widely regarded as being one of the top talents. Who's to say pick 58 in this year's draft won't turn into a brownlow medallist? Almost every draft has someone very low in the order who turns into a star. Sampi, Molan, Clarke, Cole, Watson, Brooks - a fair few disappointing first rounders suggests the draft wasn't as super as its often claimed.

2005 had Andrew Swallow at 43 and Kieren Jack in the rookie draft - if they go on to become exceptional players, which you could argue is in process, I don't think that makes it a superdraft. It could be argued as a superdraft on the basis of Murphy/Thomas/Pendlebury (2001's equivalent was Hodge/Ball/Judd)

At the time that whole top 3 of Hodge, Ball and Judd were all very highly rated and all have gone on to have great success - all have been captains and have premierships.
Many of the 1st rounders didn't work out as expected - Polak (injury), Clarke (injury) and so on but you also have to remember the scouting wasn't nearly as advanced at the time. Clubs didn't have nearly the same quantity of recruiting staff and didn't have the same understanding of statistics as they do now.

The most hyped up drafts seem to have been the 2001 + 2006 drafts and both have probably turned out to be the better recent drafts.

we've heard so much about grundy being the standout ruckman, however, are there any others available that may impress at afl level?

we've heard so much about grundy being the standout ruckman, however, are there any others available that may impress at afl level?

Pretty limited pickings with few quality ruck options this year.

Only Grundy at this stage is the clear standout when talking immediate rucks and long term looks a ripper.

McBean can play but is a thin project who likely will always be thin.

As later draft options other than Craig Moller who Fremantle should sign and Darcy Fort from the Geelong Falcons is impressing but as with most rucks both are very much projects and will need time.

Mature options not great with Sean Tighe probably the better option but more of a versatile no.2 ruckman.

KnightMare you my friend are a legend, your articles in my opinion are easily the best on BigFooty, sometime even better then what get reported in the pappers. welldone.

Just a quick question

J Daniher or J Patton which one will have the better career in your opinion?
thanks.

KnightMare you my friend are a legend, your articles in my opinion are easily the best on BigFooty, sometime even better then what get reported in the pappers. welldone.

Just a quick question

J Daniher or J Patton which one will have the better career in your opinion?
thanks.

Thanks for the kind words.

Hard to pick. Both look like they will develop into clear top 10, possible top 5 league key forwards. Certainly both players you can build a forwardline around.

I'd favour Daniher. Patton is a big marking presence but Daniher has a few more ways of influencing games. Daniher at ground level can do some almost Franklin-like things and is the better athlete while also possessing the same contested marking ability.

Injuries will no doubt have an influence on who has the better career. But given the choice I'd personally take Daniher.

Thanks for the kind words.

Hard to pick. Both look like they will develop into clear top 10, possible top 5 league key forwards. Certainly both players you can build a forwardline around.

I'd favour Daniher. Patton is a big marking presence but Daniher has a few more ways of influencing games. Daniher at ground level can do some almost Franklin-like things and is the better athlete while also possessing the same contested marking ability.

Injuries will no doubt have an influence on who has the better career. But given the choice I'd personally take Daniher.

Thankyou for the reply, When you wrote about Keeffe in the 08 draft thread, for some reason I tend to agree, his height mabe the biggest key to future defendeing like Danihers for future KPF.

Knightmare

Aparrently the kid Darcy Fort (Geelong Falcons) is being looked at by a number of clubs after heavily influencing a number of games after being drafted into the Falcons squad on the back of a number of very strong games in the seniors for his local club South Barwon (Matthew Scarlett's old hunting ground it turns out to be).

Wonder if you have seen this kid play and what you might be able to tell me about the kid?

Nice article about him here (which speaks about his brother Fraser also). At (a reportedly) 201cm, he is genuine ruckmen size and seems to influence games with more than just his tapwork (going by his stats here anyways).

He is averaging 28 hitouts, but is also averaging 11 possessions and has taken at least one contested mark a game. One player i am certainly keen to watch.

Out of interest, are you going to be heading along to the double header at Oakleigh next weekend? might be nice to put a fact to the name

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thankyou for the reply, When you wrote about Keeffe in the 08 draft thread, for some reason I tend to agree, his height mabe the biggest key to future defendeing like Danihers for future KPF.

Keeffe is a curious case but I think he will be the first of what I expect in 5+ years time to be many 200+cm key defenders.

There's just so many bigs who can go forward now.

Tippett, Tom Lynch (Gold Coast), Jonathan Patton, Daniher, Petrie. Then you have the resting rucks who can do some big damage up forward: Cox, Giles, Z.Smith, T.West.

So clubs are really going to need these super tall defenders because when guys like Daniher and Patton at 2m can mark at the highest point in the air you almost need to match that size. I'd almost think clubs might look into transforming failed rucks into key defenders.

Knightmare do you think Hunter will be taken at all?

Hard to say whether the Dogs take him in the national draft but at worst should go rookie. Strong tackler good in congestion and can get forward and hit the scoreboard. I like his game and is certainly worth a shot.

Knightmare

Aparrently the kid Darcy Fort (Geelong Falcons) is being looked at by a number of clubs after heavily influencing a number of games after being drafted into the Falcons squad on the back of a number of very strong games in the seniors for his local club South Barwon (Matthew Scarlett's old hunting ground it turns out to be).

Wonder if you have seen this kid play and what you might be able to tell me about the kid?

Nice article about him here (which speaks about his brother Fraser also). At (a reportedly) 201cm, he is genuine ruckmen size and seems to influence games with more than just his tapwork (going by his stats here anyways).

He is averaging 28 hitouts, but is also averaging 11 possessions and has taken at least one contested mark a game. One player i am certainly keen to watch.

Out of interest, are you going to be heading along to the double header at Oakleigh next weekend? might be nice to put a fact to the name

I just made mention of him a few posts ago.

I've been really encouraged with his ability to take a contested grab. Also a very willing tackler any as the stats indicte it's an improving aspect of his game. Contributes some around the ground. Tapwork good and can get it to advantage. There's something to work with and while I didn't see his recent game against Northern Knights I have a feel for how good those numbers are and he would have to be that other ruck making a late push for a draft position.

Knightmare

Yoda , I think you may have that a little wrong. Pretty sure Scarlett was from StJoeys , maybe your thinking of the Scarlett look alike Thompson @ North Melb.

Anyway , KM , on Darcy Fort , do we see him as a Rookie or perhaps pushing thru to be drafted much earlier. If so , is that because the Ruck stocks are thin this year & how would he compare to Lever last year R3 P60?

Really can't wait until all the concessions are done..

Imagine if everyone were available this year, it'd (surely) be spoken about as highly as the '01 draft was..

Yoda,

GWS are sitting on three compo picks. Its going to be a while until that happens.

Jack Viney
Ben Kennedy
Jonothon O'Rouke
Dayle Garlett
Jimmy Toumpas

Tynan is playing well down back and has continued his development this year which has been encouraging. Tynan has been one of the better players for the Scorpions and has had an excellent year. Could be a rookie chance if he finishes the season strongly and would be among those 10-15 VFL players in the mix this year.

Knightmare,

If you think this, why dont you have GWS bidding for Viney ?

Forcing Melbourne to us their - presumed - #3 pick changes the rest of the first round.

Anyway , KM , on Darcy Fort , do we see him as a Rookie or perhaps pushing thru to be drafted much earlier. If so , is that because the Ruck stocks are thin this year & how would he compare to Lever last year R3 P60?

I see Fort as more of a late draft selection than a rookie assuming he continues his improvement. Fort has a different game to Lever. Lever is very quick, an excellent ball user and more versatile.

Of the two though I like Fort more as a ruckman - better tap ruckman, stronger marking presence and tackling game very good. Improving so quick I think 5-6 years down the track could be the better of the pair. But neither are guarantees and at this age with rucks you never know what will happen.

Knightmare,

If you think this, why dont you have GWS bidding for Viney ?

Forcing Melbourne to us their - presumed - #3 pick changes the rest of the first round.

That post related directly to running the ball out of contested situations and no more broad than that. So that is only one aspect of the game rather than an all up rating of Whitfield v the rest.

Whitfield is still the standout prospect and does more things well and more things elite than anyone else in this draft. Endurance as good as any. Ball use. Composure. Decision making. Few are better and no one will play as well, as consistently from round one with the same production as Whitfield. No other player (other than perhaps Daniher - my personal preference should go no.1 overall).

As a fit for GWS I also like Whitfield allot more. GWS really lack the outside runners (Personally I'm not a huge Hoskin-Elliott/Sumner fan) while the GWS inside midfield stocks are already looking excellent and complete Whitfield for my liking is just that much more of a substantial upgrade on what they currently have than Viney as an inside midfield who is much the same as Toby Greene - which is a great thing, but they could use Whitfield more in their situation.

If I was bidding for GWS I'd bid on Daniher (who Essendon will match with their 1st rounder anyway) then if picking for Gold Coast with pick 2 would bid on Viney (who Gold Coast need more than GWS needing that extra hard inside ball winner which seems to be missing).

Knightmare,

If you were MFC and one of the franchises bid on Viney, would you let him go or would you take him at our proposed pick 3? Forget Melbourne's investment in young Jack thus far. Is he worthy of such a high pick?

Cheers

knights who do you think suits Brisbane's forward line more Jaksch or Shaw you have jaksch rated higher

Either could suit the Brisbane forwardline. Both can be a marking presence up forward.

Shaw I'd like to see a bit more of in this last portion of the season now that he is healthy. Shaw played in the u18 champs and was disappointing but I want to see how he goes in this final portion of the season but at this stage I like Jaksch better - has had the form on his side this year but also has the more complete game and more versatility.

Knightmare,

If you were MFC and one of the franchises bid on Viney, would you let him go or would you take him at our proposed pick 3? Forget Melbourne's investment in young Jack thus far. Is he worthy of such a high pick?

Cheers

Jack is every bit worth pick 3. Putting the loyalties of club and player aside Viney at pick 3 would be an excellent selection and a perfect fit for what Melbourne should be looking to build. He's a guy who will help change the culture of the club and make you better.

If Jack wasn't a F/S selection I'd be recommending Gold Coast take Jack with pick 2 and if he were to slip to pick 3 then I'd recommend the same to Melbourne with pick 3.

If I was bidding for GWS I'd bid on Daniher (who Essendon will match with their 1st rounder anyway) then if picking for Gold Coast with pick 2 would bid on Viney (who Gold Coast need more than GWS needing that extra hard inside ball winner which seems to be missing).

Asuuming GWS are not trying to make friends, would you bid 1. Daniher, 2. Viney and then take Whitfileld, and explain to him it was Just Business ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back