Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2019 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As per my weekly wrap, no Sydney Academy players among the combine invites. Doesn't mean Sydney don't have their eye on any, it's more a case of there aren't five or more clubs putting up their hand and saying they want to see the testing of anyone specific from Sydney's Academy (past or present).

Sydney's better academy prospects in Gulden and Campbell are eligible next year and will be the ones to watch from a draft context.

Hamish Ellem I've enjoyed the play of and feel is worth Sydney picking as a key forward if he can be rookied. Big body who can take a grab at the highest point but is also able at ground level. Sam Thorne is the other I'd look at if liking his NEAFL play and consider as a rookie.

Gulden/Campbell/Thorne are all small mids, so Sydney if interested in adding them or a combination of them into the mix this year/next year will be going for taller mids you'd think.

Yeah those names I know about and think the mix of the group this year will be interesting, but someone is claiming on the Swans board that one of the combine invites moved from the Swans academy to Victoria which I didn't think was true. Thanks for confirming

Knightmare .... nice little write up on Will Kennedy ... read a bit on draft central about him as well he sounds an interesting tall prospect who if he is just short of the ruck position could develop into a KPP. Late Pick / Rookie ?

You mention ... 52 hitouts so.. obviously he must have some rucking aptitude...good spring? Mobility and flexibility is consistantly the theme with him .. he sounds a bit Blitz like... how would you describe him in comparison to the oteh ruck options out there

Some rough draft ranges I'm expecting:
Taheny: 10-40
Stephens 5-15.

KM

I am really confused.

Do you have 2 draft boards ?

One in an order which you think the boys will be drafted, and the second board being if you were drafting them the position in which you would draft them ?

Ie. Stephens 5 hours ago was 15-25 and now he’s 5-15

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Knightmare .... nice little write up on Will Kennedy ... read a bit on draft central about him as well he sounds an interesting tall prospect who if he is just short of the ruck position could develop into a KPP. Late Pick / Rookie ?

You mention ... 52 hitouts so.. obviously he must have some rucking aptitude...good spring? Mobility and flexibility is consistantly the theme with him .. he sounds a bit Blitz like... how would you describe him in comparison to the oteh ruck options out there

Will Kennedy is an outside chance and late/rookie is appropriate for selection.

Not freakish spring, but has good spring. He's more mobile and covers the ground better than most ruckmen. In the context of this draft he's something like a one year older and slightly shorter Nick Bryan - Bryan likely to be the second ruckman chosen and likely featuring mid-draft as that more mobile ruckman who like Kennedy is though not as advanced and probably more versatile. Both able overhead marks, with Kennedy maybe slightly better in that category also.

If Kennedy can become something like Callum Sinclair that's a good outcome.

KM

I am really confused.

Do you have 2 draft boards ?

One in an order which you think the boys will be drafted, and the second board being if you were drafting them the position in which you would draft them ?

Ie. Stephens 5 hours ago was 15-25 and now he’s 5-15

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have my power rankings which I publish on ESPN each month. On my power rankings I rate Stephens 15-25. That's how I view him on quality.

If I'm predicting where he goes, or where I'd slot him in, in a rolling phantom draft. I see Stephens featuring 5-15.

So they are indeed two different things.

Knightmare if carlton go to the draft this year who do you reckon will be the best fit at that pick 10/11 mark??

I'd like to see Carlton add more firepower up forward. Sam Flanders if available would represent terrific value as a talented forward who adds further to the midfield rotation.

A Gould if he slips I'd also look at as that other player I'd want in Carlton's situation with the drive he generates from defence and the presence he plays with.

Either would be terrific at 10/11 if Carlton have a pick around there.

I'd like to see Carlton add more firepower up forward. Sam Flanders if available would represent terrific value as a talented forward who adds further to the midfield rotation.

A Gould if he slips I'd also look at as that other player I'd want in Carlton's situation with the drive he generates from defence and the presence he plays with.

Either would be terrific at 10/11 if Carlton have a pick around there.

thanks mate apart from Mitch O'Neil from tassie do you reckon theres any other chances from down here, there is a muture aged talend from kingbrough called elijah reardon heard roumouors fremantle were keen on him

thanks mate apart from Mitch O'Neil from tassie do you reckon theres any other chances from down here, there is a muture aged talend from kingbrough called elijah reardon heard roumouors fremantle were keen on him

Other than O'Neil Tasmania don't have a lot. McGuiness as an overager could be picked. Will Peppin is their next most likely. It's their 2020 crop that looks good from Tassie more so than this year's.

Other than O'Neil Tasmania don't have a lot. McGuiness as an overager could be picked. Will Peppin is their next most likely. It's their 2020 crop that looks good from Tassie more so than this year's.

Ollie Burrows-Cheng?

Ollie Burrows-Cheng?

Burrows-Cheng has a go and he performs consistently to a strong level in the NAB League. He can win the ball, but as a short mid probably needs to add more tricks to his game to get picked.

Why aren't we seeing most of the top end VIC talent playing in their NAB League teams at the moment? I've heard stuff about school footy etc. but wouldn't it be more beneficial to be playing at the highest level possible???

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Why aren't we seeing most of the top end VIC talent playing in their NAB League teams at the moment? I've heard stuff about school footy etc. but wouldn't it be more beneficial to be playing at the highest level possible???

It's part of the school scholarships. If the kids want to go to private schools that would otherwise cost $30k a year or somewhere in that range with the APS schools. Part of the requirement of fulfilling that sports scholarship is playing for their school team instead of their NAB League teams. U18 Championships is the only exception because then those schools can say they have x number of players participating during the U18 Champs, adding prestige, in the same way APS premiership add that value/prestige and attract many of the top kids.

surely oneill wont get drafted no one is talking about him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knightmare where do you think a bid for Henry will come in. Given bid often seemed to be placed later than players are generally ranked, do you think Freo would need to get their picks 15 or above to be confident they wont be used on Henry or more top 10?

I don't think a top 10 bid will come for Henry. I'm expecting something 11-20 though as the probable bid range.

A pick in the top 10 is safe. The second round pick probably gets traded down for a combination of picks that will see Fremantle outside of that first pick gain more points.

It's part of the school scholarships. If the kids want to go to private schools that would otherwise cost $30k a year or somewhere in that range with the APS schools. Part of the requirement of fulfilling that sports scholarship is playing for their school team instead of their NAB League teams. U18 Championships is the only exception because then those schools can say they have x number of players participating during the U18 Champs, adding prestige, in the same way APS premiership add that value/prestige and attract many of the top kids.
Ah ok. I actually didn't know we had a sports scholarship program in high schools over here similar to the US college system but If that is the case then I understand them prioritizing their school teams.

They do play NAB finals though don't they if their team makes it?

I don't think a top 10 bid will come for Henry. I'm expecting something 11-20 though as the probable bid range.

A pick in the top 10 is safe. The second round pick probably gets traded down for a combination of picks that will see Fremantle outside of that first pick gain more points.
Yeah I figured we'd try to downgrade out of that second round, maybe trade pick into it once a bid comes through. Sounds like a pick in 11-15 would be dicey and we'd want to get those picks higher than that to be safe which could cost a bit. Will be an interesting off-season for us

Ah ok. I actually didn't know we had a sports scholarship program in high schools over here similar to the US college system but If that is the case then I understand them prioritizing their school teams.

They do play NAB finals though don't they if their team makes it?

Yeah, all wrapped up in time for finals.

They also play the start of the season in NAB League.

So there is still plenty of exposure. It can make it harder for their sides during the season missing them due to school commitments, but Oakleigh and Sandringham (the two with the most APS boys) are again this year two of the contending sides and consistently up there in contention and always have the most talented lists so it's hardly a problem. If anything both sides should have their zones reduced as the talent disparity is too extreme with the likes of Eastern/Northern/Western weak more years than not.

Hey KM,
Any feed back from the PEGS V ACK GF on Friday?
And how did the NAB League boys fare ?👍

I work Mon-Fri at my other job so can't say I was available to attend.

I'll be attending the APS v AGSV game this Saturday though.

Knightmare
If you get a chance try and check out the last 2 Giants NEAFL games with plenty of academy boys playing bigger roles and I can see a few staying around as overagers next year but interested in your thoughts on Murray if you get a chance to watch some of the games
I think the club will look to pick him up at this years draft, not sure if he will have any interest from Vic clubs as not sure if the club would match a pick in the main draft on him but it will depend on what happens with the trade period and how many talls leave the club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back