Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2019 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Him at 203 would be considered with higher picks?...

I agree with that ... although I did hear someone speculate that Grundy and English perhaps encourages clubs to be brave enough to start picking rucks a bit earlier. I like Jackson once you get into R2... and Bryan a bit later .. do you have any idea the comparison of athletic measures for the both of them.. spring speed agility etc...

If Jackson was 203cm I'd have him inside my first round.

Can't say I've received any of the athletic testing data in recent years.

Jackson is a better athlete than both - but that is his relative advantage. Grundy was more always a strong guy who had spent plenty of time in the gym, English more the endurance runner and Jackson relatively is the more springy and explosive.

I'll also otherwise credit Jackson for his work at ground level and ground ball winning. What he doesn't do is as much around the ground as either and his skills by comparison aren't great either.

Jackson I'm with you in viewing as worth a second round pick and Bryan I view as suitable later.

Knightmare Looking forward to another exciting draft and trade period and interested in your thoughts on where you think WAs Luke Jackson will go and also your thoughts on the Allies ruckman Kelly (I think that is his name?)
Also where did you have Stack going in your last phantom draft and player rankings? Well done to the Tigers on how they have developed him and took the risk on him but no doubt the success is down to his talent and work ethic as well

Luke Jackson I'm viewing as a 10-40 prospect at this stage. Opinions are mixed and it only takes a couple of clubs to really want him for him to go higher than I'd necessarily be prepared to take him. Early second round I think is probably about the right position for him.

Kelly was the ruckman for the Allies in two of their games. Hitout numbers per game second only to Jackson which is something but I found he had little influence otherwise in either game with just the 4 contested possession, 4 marks and 2 tackles and no goals over the two games. With ruckmen it's so important to follow up well and then be a factor forward of centre. Kelly has kicked 4 goals in NAB League for Murray which is something with all four coming in his last three games, but he'll need to get better as a followup ruckman who wins more of the contested ball as for mine his impact as a result feels lacking. He's a possible draft chance but wouldn't be one of my preferred ruckmen this year.

Sydney Stack was 22 in my final power rankings last year and I had him going late draft to Richmond having heard rumblings that they had interest. He's putting in the work by all reports and attacking everything with a great attitude, and he's reaping the rewards. If he keeps up the good work, he can be one of last year's best. I can't say forward of back I saw him being this good, nor how quickly he would be impacting games at AFL level. I just knew how good he was as a mid from his U18 Champs play last year.

I would love Brodie Kemp at the Swans. Seems to be pretty close to exactly what we need. What are his odds of being available at pick 5 to 7?

A chance. Could go as high as pick 3. But could be there at 5/6 depending on if clubs prefer the more advanced Ash/Young or want to take the chance on the upside of Kemp.

If Jackson was 203cm I'd have him inside my first round.

Can't say I've received any of the athletic testing data in recent years.

Jackson is a better athlete than both - but that is his relative advantage. Grundy was more always a strong guy who had spent plenty of time in the gym, English more the endurance runner and Jackson relatively is the more springy and explosive.

I'll also otherwise credit Jackson for his work at ground level and ground ball winning. What he doesn't do is as much around the ground as either and his skills by comparison aren't great either.

Jackson I'm with you in viewing as worth a second round pick and Bryan I view as suitable later.

Do you feel now we place too much emphasis on this arbitrary 5cm? I'm of the view that a good ruckman is a good ruckman, once they're filled out height by cm almost becomes irrelevant. I mean you'd back the likes of Naitanui, Grundy or Goldstein at 201 over say Preuss at 206cm any day. I think Jackson compares reasonably well to a Naitanui or Ryder who have used their leap and skill in terms of timing and aggression to be very successful over the years.

I would love Brodie Kemp at the Swans. Seems to be pretty close to exactly what we need. What are his odds of being available at pick 5 to 7?
Talk on our board is he did his knee yesterday :(

Do you feel now we place too much emphasis on this arbitrary 5cm? I'm of the view that a good ruckman is a good ruckman, once they're filled out height by cm almost becomes irrelevant. I mean you'd back the likes of Naitanui, Grundy or Goldstein at 201 over say Preuss at 206cm any day. I think Jackson compares reasonably well to a Naitanui or Ryder who have used their leap and skill in terms of timing and aggression to be very successful over the years.

It can be done, as we're still seeing with some current ruckmen. But it's a relative disadvantage being shorter, and if you're shorter, you're probably also going to have shorter arms and as a result less reach.

Grundy is 203cm. But with ruckmen you can be 210cm but if you can't play, you're still not as good as someone 10cm shorter. So it's just about getting that weighting right and not over/under-doing it.

Callum Twomey
@CalTwomey
Brodie Kemp, who shaped as a possible top-10 draft pick, went down with a knee injury earlier today playing school footy. Fingers crossed, but there are fears it could be serious.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Still should be a top 10 pick regardless.

Still should be a top 10 pick regardless.
Thoughts on the Dees taking him at 3 if/when Anderson and Rowell are off the board? Would it be considered par even if he misses most of his first season, or would it be a reach with injury risk?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be interesting to see who the slider(s) are this year. There has been a few good players slip through, Grundy for oner. Every year sees a few absolute bargains.
Stack ranked at 22 in KMs power rating slipped through the cracks.
I think with the Dees early picks best to go with those who can rack up the touches. We have been burnt in the past picking players who get those few 'classy touches' with early picks - not lately though.

Thoughts on the Dees taking him at 3 if/when Anderson and Rowell are off the board? Would it be considered par even if he misses most of his first season, or would it be a reach with injury risk?

If it's an ACL I'm probably not taking Kemp at 3. I'd be bidding on Tom Green firstly, but assuming GWS match bids I'd lean towards Lachlan Ash at this stage. And with his speed and hurt factor he's one of the real impact players in the pool and a missing ingredient for the Dees.

Will be interesting to see who the slider(s) are this year. There has been a few good players slip through, Grundy for oner. Every year sees a few absolute bargains.
Stack ranked at 22 in KMs power rating slipped through the cracks.
I think with the Dees early picks best to go with those who can rack up the touches. We have been burnt in the past picking players who get those few 'classy touches' with early picks - not lately though.

Usually a few mids fall. Deven Robertson could and is underrated by a lot of recruiters.

Fischer McAsey, Harry Schoenberg and Ryan Byrnes otherwise feel like they'll be among those who slide further than they should.

How far could Kemp fall now KM?

He's a top 10 pick. Hard to see him sliding any further than Hawthorn's first choice. St Kilda and North are other clubs that could really use him and are what I'd look at as the probable spots for him to land without knowing their plans.

Where does Brodie Kemp go from here?

Immediate reco?
Wait a while?

Also, is he teammates with Flynn Perez and could they do rehab together?

If he gets drafted, what do they start with?

Top 10.

Aware it's an injury. Don't have details on his plans.

Perez and Kemp are from very different parts of Victoria despite both playing for Bendigo and Kemp is doing his schooling at Geelong Grammar, so unless they're friends or decide to do rehab at the club they may not see eachother as much as teammates would with most clubs

Is Serong a chance at Freo's first? One of my favourites in this years draft
Of the smaller players he is one of my favourites as well. I could see Serong and Henry playing in the forward line almost from round one, and think that would add some sting for us. Would allow Walters to play predominantly midfield, and Sturt to develop on the wing.

Serong Lobb Matera
McCarthy Hogan Henry

Great write up.Is this a draft for Key position players or more midfielders running players your view .Seems like there will be a lot of value in late picks.

Great write up.Is this a draft for Key position players or more midfielders running players your view .Seems like there will be a lot of value in late picks.

This draft has the most speed/skill/x-factor I've seen. That's the greatest area of strength in this draft.

Key forward options are thin, but there are a good number of key defenders who should feature from the second round onwards.

There is good depth of options, so clubs don't need first round picks to find a talent, with good talent ID there will be plenty mid draft and some late.

This draft has the most speed/skill/x-factor I've seen. That's the greatest area of strength in this draft.

Key forward options are thin, but there are a good number of key defenders who should feature from the second round onwards.

There is good depth of options, so clubs don't need first round picks to find a talent, with good talent ID there will be plenty mid draft and some late.
Who would be the standouts in that regard and whereabouts in the draft do you think they could fall? Would there be one worth taking a chance on that would be available around our 1st 2 selections, probably around the picks 14 and 19 region.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back