Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2019 Draft Almanac

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knightmare
If you get a chance try and check out the last 2 Giants NEAFL games with plenty of academy boys playing bigger roles and I can see a few staying around as overagers next year but interested in your thoughts on Murray if you get a chance to watch some of the games
I think the club will look to pick him up at this years draft, not sure if he will have any interest from Vic clubs as not sure if the club would match a pick in the main draft on him but it will depend on what happens with the trade period and how many talls leave the club

I do watch some NEAFL games and I have for a few years now.

Murray I've liked for a while. Strong 1v1 and a really nice intercept mark. I'd take him as a rookie if I wasn't able to satisfy my key position needs prior to the rookie draft.

Hi Knightmare, apologies if this has been asked on previous pages.

Do you think the AFL will give GC picks 1 and 2 this year?

No idea of the AFL's plans at this stage. But it wouldn't surprise me if it happened.

The reality is Gold Coast have a baron list. The only potential stars on that list are Lukosius/Rankine/King. And those tiers below of good players similarly are thin to be generous.

If they do get awarded picks 1+2 though, you can wager that they'll take both Carey/Oakleigh boys Matthew Rowell and Noah Anderson.

Add those boys to Lukosius/Rankine/King and Gold Coast can for the first time since their early years sell their fans on their long future. They just have to go about things responsibly and not sign players on over the top size contracts and continue building talent and get veterans around them to help their development and maybe they can change their trajectory.

I do watch some NEAFL games and I have for a few years now.

Murray I've liked for a while. Strong 1v1 and a really nice intercept mark. I'd take him as a rookie if I wasn't able to satisfy my key position needs prior to the rookie draft.

No idea of the AFL's plans at this stage. But it wouldn't surprise me if it happened.

The reality is Gold Coast have a baron list. The only potential stars on that list are Lukosius/Rankine/King. And those tiers below of good players similarly are thin to be generous.

If they do get awarded picks 1+2 though, you can wager that they'll take both Carey/Oakleigh boys Matthew Rowell and Noah Anderson.

Add those boys to Lukosius/Rankine/King and Gold Coast can for the first time since their early years sell their fans on their long future. They just have to go about things responsibly and not sign players on over the top size contracts and continue building talent and get veterans around them to help their development and maybe they can change their trajectory.

Thanks a lot. I am starting to think they will get the top 2 picks, but agree - the real issues like player retention, development & coaching programs and attracting quality experienced players are where GC need the most assistance/support over the next 5 years.

Like Jackson again being talked about as a top 5.

I definitely wouldn't be picking Jackson top 5. I can't justify taking a 198cm ruckman that early.

Given we haven't had a ruckman taken so early recently, recent history suggests it won't happen.

Doesn't mean the industry aren't changing their evaluations on how early ruckmen should be taken again.

KM, I was hoping to ask a question following up on the draft focus on Jay Rantall. He seems like he can accumulate a fair bit of the ball and has had some solid contested possession games. One query I have surrounds the quality of his disposal, is he an elite user, just OK or are we talking about a hit or misser?

Cheers

KM, I was hoping to ask a question following up on the draft focus on Jay Rantall. He seems like he can accumulate a fair bit of the ball and has had some solid contested possession games. One query I have surrounds the quality of his disposal, is he an elite user, just OK or are we talking about a hit or misser?

Cheers

As per my article, Rantall's ball use by foot is his problem. He's both unreliable (too many missed targets) and lacks hurt factor by foot. It's the area of his game that needs the most work.

What's the word on Jack Mahony KM? Just went back and watched some bits and pieces from the championships and he looked like a beautiful footballer who has clean skills and excellent decision making. In turn in the game I watched I saw Anderson butcher the ball repeatedly when running at pace (SA v VIC Metro) but did work hard to get the ball often.

Another who has seemed to drop off everyone's draft boards is Jeremy Sharp. Highly rated earlier in the year but not so much now?

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Hi KM, do you believe Jake Riccardi from Werribee is a chance to get drafted in the main draft?

What's the word on Jack Mahony KM? Just went back and watched some bits and pieces from the championships and he looked like a beautiful footballer who has clean skills and excellent decision making. In turn in the game I watched I saw Anderson butcher the ball repeatedly when running at pace (SA v VIC Metro) but did work hard to get the ball often.

Another who has seemed to drop off everyone's draft boards is Jeremy Sharp. Highly rated earlier in the year but not so much now?

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

I like Mahony. I also like Sharp. Both are in my top 20.

Mahony is all class and has a really advanced and well rounded game. There is little he can't do. Can slot into a front half and can play some midfield minutes if there is opportunity.

Sharp likewise there is a lot to like. Had the speed with the ball but can also use it and do damage with it.

Is Serong seriously seen as pick 3 material?

There are some recruiters with that view. I see Serong as more like the 10th best than the 3rd best personally.

See attached Vic Metro B & F voting from last night.

Votes by coaches for all Nationals games.

Rowell (votes in 4 games)
McAsey (votes in 3 games)
Anderson (Votes in 3 games)
Mahony (votes in 3 games)

Worrell ( 2 games)
Maginness (1 game)
Bianco (1)
Mott (1)
Sturgess (1)
Butler (2)
Newman (1)
Bryan (1)
Bergman (1)

Attachments

• Metro B&F.pdf
    82.9 KB · Views: 193

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Knightmare I don't know if you have already answered this previously but how would you compare this years pick 5-30 compared to last years pick 5-30?

Hi Knightmare I don't know if you have already answered this previously but how would you compare this years pick 5-30 compared to last years pick 5-30?

A solid 5-30 again this year. For mine it's an average to above average draft and I feel that way also about the 5-30 range. Last year was definitely stronger 5-20 for mine, but perhaps not as strong 21-30.

Looks like the Dees will finish 17th. If GC do not get a Priority I guess its who is available out of Anderson and Rowell. KM who do you think at this stage who the Dees may go for if GC get the priority?
Its possible GWS may seek to trade for the Dees pick to ensure they get a quality player very early before there is a bid for Green. At the moment even with Essendon's 1st round they do not have enough ammunition. Especially if GC do not get a priority.

Looks like the Dees will finish 17th. If GC do not get a Priority I guess its who is available out of Anderson and Rowell. KM who do you think at this stage who the Dees may go for if GC get the priority?
Its possible GWS may seek to trade for the Dees pick to ensure they get a quality player very early before there is a bid for Green. At the moment even with Essendon's 1st round they do not have enough ammunition. Especially if GC do not get a priority.

GC if they get picks 1/2 would take both Rowell and Anderson I can only imagine. It makes sense taking the consensus two best in the draft, particularly when they're both good mates who went to school together and played for the same junior club. In this scenario there would be several in the mix for Melbourne. Lachlan Ash, Hayden Young. Brodie Kemp may have been in the club's thoughts but probably not after injury. I personally like Ash outside of Rowell/Anderson. Both on a best available and list fit basis. Melbourne would love the speed and hurt factor Ash injects. Critically with Ash he's a high hurt factor guy who finds and wins plenty of it. So he's ideal.

If Gold Coast don't get the priority pick to get both, Gold Coast are expected to take Rowell with pick one leaving Anderson to fall to Melbourne at 2.

GC if they get picks 1/2 would take both Rowell and Anderson I can only imagine. It makes sense taking the consensus two best in the draft, particularly when they're both good mates who went to school together and played for the same junior club. In this scenario there would be several in the mix for Melbourne. Lachlan Ash, Hayden Young. Brodie Kemp may have been in the club's thoughts but probably not after injury. I personally like Ash outside of Rowell/Anderson. Both on a best available and list fit basis. Melbourne would love the speed and hurt factor Ash injects. Critically with Ash he's a high hurt factor guy who finds and wins plenty of it. So he's ideal.

If Gold Coast don't get the priority pick to get both, Gold Coast are expected to take Rowell with pick one leaving Anderson to fall to Melbourne at 2.
How upset would you be about getting Ash instead of Anderson?

How upset would you be about getting Ash instead of Anderson?

It's not ideal for Melbourne.

Anderson is on another level for mine.

Ash I really like and he can be one of the best and most damaging defenders/outside types in the game. But Anderson is this year's best.

The way I see it, it's equivalent to Melbourne missing out on Whitfield in 2012 and having to enter the draft at pick 4.

Anderson I rate the best in the draft. If he's not there, you're sort of getting the fourth best player at best based on my draft board with Rowell and Anderson off the board and GWS surely to match any bids on Green.

Ultimately, either would be great list fits and big time long term pieces. Melbourne should be getting a really good footballer and list fit anyway, regardless of how things work out.

It's not ideal for Melbourne.

Anderson is on another level for mine.

Ash I really like and he can be one of the best and most damaging defenders/outside types in the game. But Anderson is this year's best.

The way I see it, it's equivalent to Melbourne missing out on Whitfield in 2012 and having to enter the draft at pick 4.

Anderson I rate the best in the draft. If he's not there, you're sort of getting the fourth best player at best based on my draft board with Rowell and Anderson off the board and GWS surely to match any bids on Green.

Ultimately, either would be great list fits and big time long term pieces. Melbourne should be getting a really good footballer and list fit anyway, regardless of how things work out.
O’Meara and Crouch were gone from that 2012 pool too

O’Meara and Crouch were gone from that 2012 pool too

Absolutely. Though picks 2/3 = O'Rourke (11) and Plowman (16) were both outside my top 10 that year. So Melbourne still had the chance to get at least the fourth best in 2012.

Though all that is rather aside from the point.

Absolutely. Though picks 2/3 = O'Rourke (11) and Plowman (16) were both outside my top 10 that year. So Melbourne still had the chance to get at least the fourth best in 2012.

Though all that is rather aside from the point.
We traded pick 3 to GWS for Hogan. Where did you have Hogan rated from the 2013 pool, out of curiosity?

Hi Knightmare, sorry if this has been asked on previous post, who is the best pressure fwd in this years draft class?? Thanks

Connor Budarick (Gold Coast Academy).

Outside of Gold Coast's Academy. I enjoy the energy and forward pressure Kysaiah Pickett brings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back