Knights was appointed because he overrates our list

Remove this Banner Ad

You've just appointed a coach that lost 6 games in a row.

What tactics can he bring to Carlton?

I don't feel sorry for you guys

I never expect an essendon fan to feel sorry for us.

But i know that essendon fans know that we'll outdo them over the next few years

One who had played his entire 279-game AFL career at a spectacularly unsuccessful Richmond.

I don't like this line, no respect to Knights or the RFC. What a fck ********.

In case he's forgotten, the RFC has been alive longer than his grandparents and will be alive longer than his grandkids. He pales in comparison.

How do Essendon fans feel? It must be new to you guys, every other team has been thriugh a cosch change but this must be the first time the majority of you have done it. With Sheedy as a Legend of the club and in your hearst it must be quite different trying to evaluate Knights (especially after a couple of weeks) against Sheedy.

How long do you really think it'll be before you're objective, and how long do you think it'll take for old school essendon fans to really adjust to a new coach?

It's obvioulsy strange as it has been so long but many of us feel it was about time for a change, Sheedy's teams of late seemed to lack teamwork, accountability, skill level, fitness ect ect

We like how Knights will be putting an emphasis on improving skill and accountability

Making tough decisions on the dead wood and older players on the list

Focusing on developing the very good draft picks we've had over the past 3-4years

We're happy with the decision, we don't believe the crap as suggested in the thread title and we couldn't care he comes from Richmond, there is no "rule" about needing to play in premierships, you can either coach or you can't, we're willing to give him a go

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knights has done all the easy things. Hell, I could've been appointed and told those players they aren't required next year.

wouldnt call them 'easy', just 'required', if youve never sacked anyone then you dont know, it certainly isnt 'easy' & a there are a lot of relationships within the club that suffer when these events take place

knights is off to a solid start, if we can say he has had a solid start this time next year, all will be well, so carlton tossers beware

Fletcher/Lucus/Lloyd on the block for a couple of 1st round draft picks ala Thompson/Hay

I question whether this is a good tactic for building up to a flag, none of the recent premiership teams have done it. St Kilda had a lot of high picks and don't have a flag to show for it and I seriously doubt Hawthorn will win a flag in coming years.

I reckon hes done everything right so far, except for the handing of Kepler Bradley, who should have been given another year. But there could be more to that than we know.
I'm rapt with Knights so far, no stupid recruiting of older players and not trading away our draft picks. Seems to be very level headed.

Hmmmm. So what you are saying is that apart from his bungling of the Kepler Bradley's departure, he has done nothing.

Good job, Knighta. Off to a flying start.

You have to question the wisdom of any prospective coach who thinks they can step into Sheedy's shoes.
Maybe he sees this Essendon gig as a good apprenticeship for the Richmond job.

Hmmmm. So what you are saying is that apart from his bungling of the Kepler Bradley's departure, he has done nothing.

Good job, Knighta. Off to a flying start.

You have to question the wisdom of any prospective coach who thinks they can step into Sheedy's shoes.
Maybe he sees this Essendon gig as a good apprenticeship for the Richmond job.

The appointment is a joke Chewy. I can't reconcile it on any level, save and except that the current board were looking for a dud to assure them a few years of high draft picks. Watch out for the announcement of a high profile list manager to make sure Knights doesn't skew the list with homosexual Albino's with all their high picks.

I heard in trade week he was making a play for Fremantles Scott Thornton as possible evidence of this.

bah, you've been saying that for years
You've still struggled to beat us no matter where we were on the ladder. :cool:
That's what happens when you abuse the system.
As opposed to abusing your fans by chasing every Carlton hasbeen and trading for Richie Cole.
You've just appointed a coach that lost 6 games in a row.

What tactics can he bring to Carlton?
Didn't Carlton hit the front against Port in one of those games?

Maybe you should read Ratten's excellent columns in Inside Football and think before you post nonsense like that. A coaching panel made up of Ratten, Riley, Bradley, Crosisca, McCartney(development coach) and Montgomery beats Knights and Prescott hands down.

What will Knights bring to Essendon when he was sacked as coach by a SANFL team and didn't meet Essendon's criteria for appointing a coach?

Ratten was a vital part of one of the most successfull sides in history and played and/or worked under Parkin, Brittain, Pagan and Neale Daniher. I think Brett knows more than the coach of Bendigo who hasn't even coached a flag or had his side dominate in the VFL. Greg Swann and Pratt aren't fools like Ray Horsburgh and wouldn't appoint him if he wasn't up to scratch.

Knights compared his list of young defenders to Geelong's. :D

Barry Mitchell arguably has a better resume than Knights.

We thought about replacing a premiership coach in Pagan with our VFL coach.

Essendon went ahead and did it.

The appointment is a joke Chewy. I can't reconcile it on any level, save and except that the current board were looking for a dud to assure them a few years of high draft picks. Watch out for the announcement of a high profile list manager to make sure Knights doesn't skew the list with homosexual Albino's with all their high picks.

I heard in trade week he was making a play for Fremantles Scott Thornton as possible evidence of this.

i shouldnt have, but i did get a laugh out of that, doesnt stop you from being a hwathorn wally tho:thumbsu:

You've still struggled to beat us no matter where we were on the ladder. :cool:

As opposed to abusing your fans by chasing every Carlton hasbeen and trading for Richie Cole.

Didn't Carlton hit the front against Port in one of those games?

Maybe you should read Ratten's excellent columns in Inside Football and think before you post nonsense like that. A coaching panel made up of Ratten, Riley, Bradley, Crosisca, McCartney(development coach) and Montgomery beats Knights and Prescott hands down.

What will Knights bring to Essendon when he was sacked as coach by a SANFL team and didn't meet Essendon's criteria for appointing a coach?

Ratten was a vital part of one of the most successfull sides in history and played and/or worked under Parkin, Brittain, Pagan and Neale Daniher. I think Brett knows more than the coach of Bendigo who hasn't even coached a flag or had his side dominate in the VFL. Greg Swann and Pratt aren't fools like Ray Horsburgh and wouldn't appoint him if he wasn't up to scratch.

Knights compared his list of young defenders to Geelong's. :D

Barry Mitchell arguably has a better resume than Knights.

We thought about replacing a premiership coach in Pagan with our VFL coach.

Essendon went ahead and did it.

Justin Madden, Jordan Bannister, Corey McGrath, Rohan Welsh etc.

Carlton have had their fair share of Essendon has-beens or never-going-to-bes!

As for the highlighted part, Brittain and Daniher aren't exactly great coaches... Pagan wasn't a great coach either! It's like saying Knights played under Kevin Bartlett, Allan Jeans, John Northey, Robert Walls, Jeff Gieschen, Danny Frawley and then was the "reserves" coach under the head coach of Kevin Sheedy! What's your point?

How many wins has Ratten coached Carlton to?

wouldnt call them 'easy', just 'required', if youve never sacked anyone then you dont know, it certainly isnt 'easy' & a there are a lot of relationships within the club that suffer when these events take place

knights is off to a solid start, if we can say he has had a solid start this time next year, all will be well, so carlton tossers beware

Fair point. It was required, but perhaps that's what makes it easy. Everyone on BigFooty could tell you the players who left needed to go. Perhaps trading someone like Lucas, a la Hawthorn trading Thompson, would result in a quicker Essendon rebuild because it's over the 4-8 year term that Essendon will struggle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Knights was appointed because he overrates our list

Remove this Banner Ad

Back