Let’s cut to the chase- can Hawthorn win a prelim in Sydney?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably not but we're having fun and the boys are up for any challenge.

We're playing with House money at this stage and whatever happens it's all gravy from here.

I think they can. If they beat Port, which they should, I feel they can really push the Swans.

Life on the line call, I'd probably say Sydney would win (GWS would be line-ball I can't pick).

They're no guarantee to beat Port, but the answer is yes. Anything is possible this season.
Beg to differ, the Hawks are absolutely guaranteed to beat Port, they'll be at "Ajax odds"

Tipping their prelim will be in western Sydney and it will be epic

The one thing going against Hawthorn is that they’ve lost to Port, Geelong and GWS away from the MCG since they turned they’re season around.

But aside from that, they are scarily good at the moment. I can’t recall a team that successfully goes helter skelter like the Hawks do.

The one thing going against Hawthorn is that they’ve lost to Port, Geelong and GWS away from the MCG since they turned they’re season around.

We coughed up a 43(?) point lead against Port, before allowing them to kick 2 goals in the last 15 seconds to pinch the win. GWS had to produce their best last quarter comeback in their entire history to beat us. If anything, those two losses will give us cause for confidence.

Geelong smashed us at the cattery, but we were a bit more competitive at the G during our bad patch (Cats ran away with it, but had been close in the third quarter). If we keep winning, we will not be able to meet Geelong until the GF, and they could easily be out before then (although not as easily as we could be!).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That isn't even the 'chase'. The real end game is who will win on GF day, Geelong or Hawthorn?
Obviously

The rest just playing for draft order

Questions for everyone:
When Hawthorn win next week, clearly a finals choke for Port Adelaide.
However, with Hawthorn an absolute Monty to play off in the GF, if Port Adelaide do somehow win next week, doesn’t that mean that Hawthorn have choked? Being odds on BigFooty favourites and all that.

Not sure I’ve ever seen a final where both outcomes are chokes.

Last edited:
They were impressive tonight, real effort-based system like the Pies in these last few years. Out-dogged the Dogs with their ability to find the next person in the chain under heavy pressure to open things up. Short kicking was also impressive, a Mitchell era trademark. Probably lacking a decent tall forward line (like the Pies) which is usually the key to regular finals success to give you that structure, but not many teams left in it have that. Certainly not Port or Sydney. I feel the Giants probably have Sydney covered regardless.

Obviously

The rest just playing for draft order

Questions for everyone:
When Hawthorn win next week, clearly a finals choke for Port Adelaide.
However, with Hawthorn an absolute Monty to play off in the GF, if Port Adelaide do somehow win next week, doesn’t that mean that Hawthorn have choked? Being odds on BigFooty favourites and all that.

Not sure I’ve ever seen a final where both outcomes are chokes.
Well it's sorta like if port win Carr was coaching But if they lose surely it was Hinkley.

They won’t win on the small SCG
SCG is only 5 metres shorter and 5 metres narrower than MCG. It's bigger than Marvel and Adelaide Oval, where we have played well at. It's not "small".

Oath. Shut the finals down.

Just make it a 7 game Hawthorn vs Geelong finals series to decide the premier.

Agreed. No doubt would come down to a game 7 decider and the quality of footy would be top draw.

Easter Mondays are going to be must watch again for the next years. Can't wait for the Mitchell Scott contest/rivalry develop. The best coach vs the one one most likely to challenge for the title.

They were impressive tonight, real effort-based system like the Pies in these last few years. Out-dogged the Dogs with their ability to find the next person in the chain under heavy pressure to open things up. Short kicking was also impressive, a Mitchell era trademark. Probably lacking a decent tall forward line (like the Pies) which is usually the key to regular finals success to give you that structure, but not many teams left in it have that. Certainly not Port or Sydney. I feel the Giants probably have Sydney covered regardless.
You're under rating Dear. All the talk was about the dogs amazing talls and can hawks hold up leading into the game.

Most influential key forward on the night? Calsher. Oh and Gunner bobbed up for some scoreboard impact while completely nullifying Jones. Pretty happy with where our tall forwards are at even if the general consensus in the media is they're no good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back