Let’s cut to the chase- can Hawthorn win a prelim in Sydney?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's against GWS, very good chance as we've played well against them last few times. Sydney however seem to be our bogey team. Get through Port and ya never know!

Hope they lose... flogs
I kinda like their celebrations, when they back it up of course

What I have noticed is that they don’t talk about their opponents, ever. All the post match interviews was about us, we’re having fun, our football is good enough, etc. but hardly a mention of opposition. Maybe I need to listen more closely.

Hawthorn are running on momentum, even though the Dogs were as weak as P*** and put in their usual shocker when it really counts. I can't see Port putting in a 2nd dismal performance at home, the blowtorch will be on high in Adelaide this week and if they lose again Kenny will be toast! Still, i am biased, i dislike the Hawks intensely and i hope they get smashed in every game they play.

Last edited:
You're under rating Dear. All the talk was about the dogs amazing talls and can hawks hold up leading into the game.

Most influential key forward on the night? Calsher. Oh and Gunner bobbed up for some scoreboard impact while completely nullifying Jones. Pretty happy with where our tall forwards are at even if the general consensus in the media is they're no good.
For me it’s just a simple numbers thing for you in 2024, not that those forwards aren’t promising. To me to be in the ‘premiership window’ (among other things), the fairly tried and true forward line formula, certainly of teams who have multiple cracks at it, is assembling a team where you have one or 2 guys in that 50 plus region, supported by guys in the 20s, 30s or 40s. You might be headed in that direction in the coming years anyway. It’s no guarantee of actually winning one as per Brisbane last year.

I was never sold on the Dogs talls, Darcy looks capable in future, JUH…who knows where his career goes after last night. Norton is incredibly frustrating to me from the outside, like a few ‘nearly’ moments last night. Always looks like he leaves goals on the table.

But at any rate you demolished them all over the ground. My Collingwood comparison was around that method, absolute manic pressure and work rate which will cover most teams.

Just not sure you’re quite ready for 3 finals wins in a row, right now, as per this thread. Although Port have a horrendous forward setup as they’ve had for years. And the other teams with the ‘classic’ forward setup in Brisbane, Carlton & Geelong are on the other side of the draw, excepting the Giants if they beat Sydney.

Dogs had an off night. Never as good or as bad is it seems. They'll get beat next week by Port

It's amazing how many clubs have had an off night/day against the Hawks since round 5. Listening to opposition coach press conference majority noted their side had an off day post match (Nicks, Voss, McRae, Bevo last night).

Kingsley was the only one who acknowledged actually Hawks might go ok both in their close loss in Tas and again when they beat us in Canberra. He's a class act.

Personally I hope the narrative of we had an off night continues long into the future, under estimate us and results are starting to speak for themselves.

For me it’s just a simple numbers thing for you in 2024, not that those forwards aren’t promising. To me to be in the ‘premiership window’ (among other things), the fairly tried and true forward line formula, certainly of teams who have multiple cracks at it, is assembling a team where you have one or 2 guys in that 50 plus region, supported by guys in the 20s, 30s or 40s. You might be headed in that direction in the coming years anyway. It’s no guarantee of actually winning one as per Brisbane last year.

I was never sold on the Dogs talls, Darcy looks capable in future, JUH…who knows where his career goes after last night. Norton is incredibly frustrating to me from the outside, like a few ‘nearly’ moments last night. Always looks like he leaves goals on the table.

But at any rate you demolished them all over the ground. My Collingwood comparison was around that method, absolute manic pressure and work rate which will cover most teams.

Just not sure you’re quite ready for 3 finals wins in a row, right now, as per this thread. Although Port have a horrendous forward setup as they’ve had for years. And the other teams with the ‘classic’ forward setup in Brisbane, Carlton & Geelong are on the other side of the draw, excepting the Giants if they beat Sydney.

Don't disagree with much of what you've written here, was more taking issue with your original point of "lack a decent tall forward line" as reasoning on why we won't progress. Chol is leading goal kicker with 36, Dear stood up in his first final we have 8 who have kicked 20 or more goals. .. our forward line won't be the issue, the even spread is actually our strength.

Being up for as long as we have been with must win games, travel to Adelaide and, if we progress, to Syd would be a huge effort. Odds are against us but the team continues to surprise, who knows how long they can ride the wave.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You gotta think they’ll run out of steam being a younger and inexperienced list. Don’t think they’ll hold up much longer.

They won’t win on the small SCG
SCG is 5m shorter than the MCG in length but has smaller wings. I don't think this matters, sides have carved up the Swans this year on the SCG with run and good ball use as Hawks are currently doing. Anyones game. They still need to beat Port which isn't a certainty.

Maybe just worry about your club sending a bloke that’s dying back out onto the field!
Forget about 1989 Grand Final did you?
Dippierdomenico - broken ribs, punctured lung
Brereton - broken ribs, kidney

Lucky Trac didn't do his spleen against your mob... Ginni and crew would've rushed for a selfie whilst he was being loaded into the ambulance. Jog on W⚓

Last edited:

Lucky Trac didn't do his spleen against your mob... Ginni and crew would've rushed for a selfie whilst he was being loaded into the ambulance. Jog on W⚓
Hope you boys are enjoying your September holidays, I’m sure clarry is.

Last edited:

Just thank your lucky stars our supporters had the balls to vote NO and save your pathetic yes voting mob from extinction.

Enjoy the show for however many weeks it runs. It's going to be fun.

SCG is only 5 metres shorter and 5 metres narrower than MCG. It's bigger than Marvel and Adelaide Oval, where we have played well at. It's not "small".

Yes, IF we beat Port, and then are to lose an SCG prelim, then it's because we were beaten by a better team rather than the ground.

I kinda like their celebrations, when they back it up of course

What I have noticed is that they don’t talk about their opponents, ever. All the post match interviews was about us, we’re having fun, our football is good enough, etc. but hardly a mention of opposition. Maybe I need to listen more closely.

But that’s a good thing, right? Mitchell & co can only control their performance. No need to either shoot other teams down, or make them some scary proposition. Rather than the cliche “we’re focusing on what we can do”, they’re living it.

I suggest you rewatch that entire game. You'll soon realise that the attention to player welfare wasn't quite what it is now. If that game had been drawn and they had concussion protocols back then, neither team would have been able to field more than half a team the following week.

Trying to use best practice back in 1989 as an excuse for your player mismanagement speaks to what a shit show your club has become.

But that’s a good thing, right? Mitchell & co can only control their performance. No need to either shoot other teams down, or make them some scary proposition. Rather than the cliche “we’re focusing on what we can do”, they’re living it.
Yeah I guess, there’s no cliches like “we knew the bulldogs are a great midfield unit” or “give credit to Sydney, they are the benchmark this year”…. It can be seen as a lack of respect by not acknowledging your opposition, but that might just be this old dinosaur talking.

Beg to differ, the Hawks are absolutely guaranteed to beat Port, they'll be at "Ajax odds"

Tipping their prelim will be in western Sydney and it will be epic
Port finished second. One bad game doesn’t erase that.

Port by 2-3 goals imo.

In any case to call the game a foregone conclusion as you are is just ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back