Let’s start again - Changes R18 vs Carltank

Remove this Banner Ad

VDM has been playing ok the last couple of weeks. Playing a tough position. No way he'll get dropped considering our lack of pace.

McNeill on the other hand...

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
Playing ok? The amount of simple skill errors is appaling, his defensive pressure and run is putrid when watching him live.

The handball in the first quarter yesterday when 25metres out a perfect example.

OUT: Naughton, O'Donnell, McNeil (Sub)

IN: Clarke, Jones, Freijah

Aware some people on this board want Clarke delisted off the back of one game but if you watched the VFL once in a while maybe you'd keep your mouth shut.

If Jones is unavailable Busslinger comes in.

FB: Taylor Duryea, Liam Jones, Buku Khamis

HB: Nick Coffield, Rory Lobb, Bailey Dale

C: Joel Freijah, Marcus Bontempelli, Bailey Williams

HF: Jack Macrae, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Laitham Vandermeer

FF: Charlie Clarke, Sam Darcy, Rhylee West

FO: Tim English, Ed Richards, Adam Treloar

I/C: Harvey Gallagher, Tom Liberatore, Ryley Sanders, Lachlan Bramble

SUB: Lachlan McNeil
I want Clarke in but not at the expense of McNeil. He was very good yesterday. For a bottom
6 player he played his role very well. This loss is with the senior players.

VDM has been playing ok the last couple of weeks. Playing a tough position. No way he'll get dropped considering our lack of pace.

McNeill on the other hand...

Please explain what McNeil did or didn’t do.
He applied great pressure had 5 tackles. Kicked a goal and 13 possessions.
He give great effort as a supporter or a Coach that’s all you can ask for. I’m sure most of our supporter's watch the game blindfolded.

Please explain what McNeil did or didn’t do.
He applied great pressure had 5 tackles. Kicked a goal and 13 possessions.
He give great effort as a supporter or a Coach that’s all you can ask for. I’m sure most of our supporter's watch the game blindfolded.
Agreed, he was one of the few who actually put his head down and tried to win the ball on the ground. Far too many of our players yesterday did not go hard enough when the ball was in dispute.

Ground Ball Gets
11 - Treloar
9 - Liberatore
6 - Macrae
6 - McNeil
5 - Bramble
Interesting McNeil stats.
I was looking at the player stats half way through the second quarter (approx 15 mins elapsed) and at that stage he had 81% time on ground but no stats. No disposals, no tackles, just zeroes across the sheet. It looked odd and I commented on it at the time in the GDT, wondering what was going on (I still haven't had a chance to watch the game so it was a genuine question).

That's not to say he wasn't doing things like pressure acts and off-the-ball running, making leads etc. It's just that they weren't showing up on the headline stats.

So it seems nearly all his headline stats came after the mid-way point in the second quarter. I see that he had 1 kick, 2 HB and 2 tackles at half time. The trouble is we were approximately 6 goals down by that stage so the game had already slipped from our grasp.

McNeil was far from alone in not doing much in the first half but that's when we needed players to turn up. And too many of them didn't.

Different story in the second half, at least on the scoreboard. Port outscored us 5.7 37 to 5.3 33, but of course the result was pretty much a foregone conclusion by half time.

I think we must be leading the number of players missing games with concussion. Cannot remember all of them but will have a go:

O'Driscoll career
Libba 2 concussions this season
Richards 2 concussions this season
JOD 2 concussions this season
Scott 1 concussion this season
Astro 1 concussion this season

I was looking at the player stats half way through the second quarter (approx 15 mins elapsed) and at that stage he had 81% time on ground but no stats. No disposals, no tackles, just zeroes across the sheet. It looked odd and I commented on it at the time in the GDT, wondering what was going on (I still haven't had a chance to watch the game so it was a genuine question).

That's not to say he wasn't doing things like pressure acts and off-the-ball running, making leads etc. It's just that they weren't showing up on the headline stats.

So it seems nearly all his headline stats came after the mid-way point in the second quarter. I see that he had 1 kick, 2 HB and 2 tackles at half time. The trouble is we were approximately 6 goals down by that stage so the game had already slipped from our grasp.

McNeil was far from alone in not doing much in the first half but that's when we needed players to turn up. And too many of them didn't.

Different story in the second half, at least on the scoreboard. Port outscored us 5.7 37 to 5.3 33, but of course the result was pretty much a foregone conclusion by half time.
He is playing as a small fwd. being 6 goals down shows power were dominating possession and territory. Not sure if you understand the game but that’s not his fault. People are obsessed with possesions and majority of the back 6 just chip it around with zero pressure.
Winning the ball in the fwd half of the ground is so much more difficult than in the back half. Pressure and intensity is poles apart.

McNeill was fine. We played shit and copped a couple injuries. I can’t see Bevo throwing the magnets around too much.

OUT: Naughton JOD

IN: Buss Jones

I'm sure we'll make completely sensible and in no way mystifying changes which will give us the best chance....

To get pummelled by 15 rather than 16 goals.

Cripps 200th say?

Super.

Where do we apply to forfeit the remainder of the season?

Do yourself a favour and watch the first quarter where he was ignored by Bont. He ran up the wing and was calling for the ball. Bont ignored a good positional lead from the guy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No offence, and maybe not your intent, but this is one of the most condescending things I often see posted on BF. And I then tend to ignore the remainder of the post.
Agree. Stamped his own papers.

On the bright side, I'm grateful that I now understand the game a bit better.

I’m convinced our HIA tests are different to every other clubs.

Must be a physics test

How does Naughton get concussed the way he did
I mentioned this in the gameday thread as well. From what I can see since the grief the club copped from the Libba incident v. Essendon and then again v. Hawthorn they gone ultra conservative in their assessment of head high contact to players. The Richards one v. Sydney was weird but the Naughton incident was downright baffling.

Look at the hit de Koning receives here, he didn't even go off the ground to be assessed.

He was one of our better players against North, and ok against freo. You don't just drop him because he made a few skill errors yesterday. On that logic you'd be dropping three quarters of the team.

There's been a fair amount of horror games to choose from. I'd argue he has played one good game and one serviceable game for the season. How big a performance blanket do you want to throw?

Remove this Banner Ad

Let’s start again - Changes R18 vs Carltank

Remove this Banner Ad

Back