Let’s start again - Changes R18 vs Carltank

Remove this Banner Ad

I mentioned this in the gameday thread as well. From what I can see since the grief the club copped from the Libba incident v. Essendon and then again v. Hawthorn they gone ultra conservative in their assessment of head high contact to players. The Richards one v. Sydney was weird but the Naughton incident was downright baffling.

Look at the hit de Koning receives here, he didn't even go off the ground to be assessed.

Yep…a knee full on to the back of the head and a follow up as hit came down.

And you are saying he didn’t even come off?

That’s rubbish if it’s true….there should be an independent doctor reviewing everything like in the NRL and the ref gets told by someone that x player has to come off. No wonder we struggle when we are prepared to lose our key forward and gun mids whereas other teams will just carry on at all costs

Yep…a knee full on to the back of the head and a follow up as hit came down.

And you are saying he didn’t even come off?

That’s rubbish if it’s true….there should be an independent doctor reviewing everything like in the NRL and the ref gets told by someone that x player has to come off. No wonder we struggle when we are prepared to lose our key forward and gun mids whereas other teams will just carry on at all costs

Doctors will look at specific things. Big hits could absolutely mean a concussion, but any sign of loss of consciousness on field and they'll be out there straight away.
[Raised "zombie" arms are a sure sign of loss of consciousness, and easily spotted on tv/replay for the doctors]

I haven't seen any footage of Astro's 'hit', but he went off and [I can only assume] failed the cognitive test.
(Or he said himself that he didn't feel right).

I’m convinced our HIA tests are different to every other clubs.

Must be a physics test

How does Naughton get concussed the way he did
Agree. Scott and Richards were both involved in head clashes with Sydney players, both Dogs were concussed out, both Sydney players played on.

Still struggling to see how Naughton was "concussed" from an innocent looking backhander on Saturday.

Remember Jeremy Cameron waving the doctor away at Geelong 5-6 weeks ago?

Do all clubs operate under the same concussion protocols, we seem to be more compliant compared to others?

Agree. Scott and Richards were both involved in head clashes with Sydney players, both Dogs were concussed out, both Sydney players played on.

Still struggling to see how Naughton was "concussed" from an innocent looking backhander on Saturday.

Remember Jeremy Cameron waving the doctor away at Geelong 5-6 weeks ago?

Do all clubs operate under the same concussion protocols, we seem to be more compliant compared to others?
We've clearly been spooked by the legal action from Liam Picken?

Doctors will look at specific things. Big hits could absolutely mean a concussion, but any sign of loss of consciousness on field and they'll be out there straight away.
[Raised "zombie" arms are a sure sign of loss of consciousness, and easily spotted on tv/replay for the doctors]

I haven't seen any footage of Astro's 'hit', but he went off and [I can only assume] failed the cognitive test.
(Or he said himself that he didn't feel right).
There is a chance some of these players would fail because they aren’t intelligent enough to figure out how to beat the test 😜

Somehow Reece Walsh passed his HIA after the hit in Origin 1…. That’s why I don’t see how Naughty could possibly fail his

I get that it's really frustrating to see players taken out of a game and missing future games due to the concussion protocols, but it's putting the welfare of the players first. If some other clubs are more cavalier about it than us well that's on them. It doesn't change the moral, medical and legal obligation to do the right thing by the players.

Are we over-zealous in following those protocols? I have no idea. Until I hear some expert advice to the contrary I have to assume we are following the best advice available.

The context for how football clubs respond to head knocks and concussion has shifted dramatically in the last 20-30 years, partly due to legal cases and some well-publicised case histories, but mainly due to advances in medical research.

If that has changed the way sport is run we will just have to get used to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get that it's really frustrating to see players taken out of a game and missing future games due to the concussion protocols, but it's putting the welfare of the players first. If some other clubs are more cavalier about it than us well that's on them. It doesn't change the moral, medical and legal obligation to do the right thing by the players.

Are we over-zealous in following those protocols? I have no idea. Until I hear some expert advice to the contrary I have to assume we are following the best advice available.

The context for how football clubs respond to head knocks and concussion has shifted dramatically in the last 20-30 years, partly due to legal cases and some well-publicised case histories, but mainly due to advances in medical research.

If that has changed the way sport is run we will just have to get used to it.

When former players start suing other clubs our ultra-conservative approach will be more common.

Can see a future with compulsory head gear.. A la CD, Tristan Xerri etc

Can see a future with compulsory head gear.. A la CD, Tristan Xerri etc

Not likely. Studies have shown that the probability of head injuries increases when players wear helmets. The helmet doesn't protect against concussion because it's the jolting of the brain inside the skull which causes the concussion. But because the players "feel" protected then they are more likely to put themselves at risk of head knocks.

I’m honestly excited to see Buss debut. We are highly likely to get toweled up regardless and he gets a chance to line up against an A-grade forward line in a lower pressure game (hard to see us winning with all our outs). Hope he gets his chance.

I know he's not in Bevo's good books lately, but surely Lewis Young is worth another shot down back...

Oh, hang on... 🤔

Out: Naughton, JOD, Gallagher, Buku, McNeil (goes to sub)
In: Weightman, Buss, Garcia, Freijah, Clarke

Team defence to beat their big forwards more than anything. Praying to Bont that Weightman is fit this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back