Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Duursma doing the Hulk Hogan taunt.
giphy.gif
This in front of an empty stadium due to corona would be hilarious

Happy birthday mots.

Doesn't get better than kicking a goal to win the showdown and mitch McGovern getting knocked on his ass.

My love for that moment is tempered by the fact that we were in the situation in the first place.

Ya Ports.

Can't argue with that. They also have the advantage of being located in the middle of a Mad Max dystopian post-technological factory wasteland.

When I went to Thebby for the u23 game I wondered how that ground was relegated to the league football scrapheap (apologies to SAAFL and occasionally AFLW) while Richmond continues to assault my eyes and demean my basic humanity.
I can't believe the Crows haven't schnaffled it up as their base. Craziness. Covers a big part of their heritage, great location and it doesn't impinge on a current SANFL side so they can play their home SANFL games there.

Dealing with the amateurs would be a lot easier than dealing with the ACC.

I can't believe the Crows haven't schnaffled it up as their base. Craziness. Covers a big part of their heritage, great location and it doesn't impinge on a current SANFL side so they can play their home SANFL games there.

Excuse my ignorance, but where do Torrens play now?

My love for that moment is tempered by the fact that we were in the situation in the first place.

Ya Ports.

Yeah, this. I wasn't even excited when Mots kicked that goal, I was just relieved.

That game was like being told that your coronavirus test came back negative. Good news, but I'd rather have not had to have the test at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well deserved robbie! Legend of the club and of the game.

Well done Robbie, but any team of the decade that has Brett Deledio on a HFF and no Dusty Martin isn't the most credible of accolades.

EDIT: Also just saw Shaun Burgoyne's name in there. Lol. Zero B&F's, zero AA's this decade.

Well done Robbie, but any team of the decade that has Brett Deledio on a HFF and no Dusty Martin isn't the most credible of accolades.

lol Deledio played like 2 seasons of the last 10.

EDIT: Also just saw Shaun Burgoyne's name in there. Lol. Zero B&F's, zero AA's this decade.
Dusty not being named is the biggest robbery.

Shaun Burgoyne is that quintessential employee everyone assumes is brilliant, because he's been on a bunch of successful projects, despite not providing any of the leadership, creative ideas or technical implementation. He is a participation award made in the shape of a human.

They might be playing a longer game.

West Torrens Council own the oval precinct. They have spent a bit of money around the oval and bit on the oval the last decade. That whole Torrensville / Mile End area has gone thru some gentrification he last decade.

There is the Aquatic Centre, the senior college, the bowling club, tennis and basketball courts, all done up it seems over the last 5 years in particular.

The SA Amateur Football League now rebadged / trading as the Adelaide Footy League, took out a long term lease in 2008. The SANFL umpires have been based there since 2010.

The SANFL want to develop it as alternative venue and West Torrens Council as a multiple purpose venue.

The SANFL and Council put together a $12.5m basic development propose and Morrison's government gave them $6m grant in the 2019 pre election budget. Now they have to agree to the finer details.

Patrick Keam, Messenger Community News April 12, 2019 2:23pm

The SANFL, Adelaide Footy League and West Torrens Council will need to find common ground with plans for a proposed $12.5 million redevelopment of Thebarton Oval before the federal government-backed vision can progress. A $6 million funding pledge was announced in the latest federal budget towards the SANFL’s vision for a training, competition and administration sporting precinct at the ground. The SANFL would also contribute up to $6 million towards the project and the AFL a further $250,000.

But the state league will first need to work with landowners West Torrens and long-term tenant Adelaide Footy League to reach a shared vision.

SANFL chief executive Jake Parkinson said the proposed redevelopment would create a new hub for community football in Adelaide. “We’ve seen the success of the Adelaide Oval and what’s it’s done for the state’s AFL teams and (this project) will be like a footy hub for SANFL and community football,” Parkinson said. “It’s in the early stages. “At the same time, time is very much of the essence to address problems such as facilities and oval space, which community football is facing right now. “The longer we wait the longer it takes to solve those problems.”

Adelaide Footy League chief executive John Kernahan said he was aware the SANFL had made representations to the Federal Government in regard to the Thebarton Oval project. “We remain open to any initiative that provides tangible benefits and offers improved sustainability to our member clubs,” Kernahan said. “That may include a partner to reduce the operational costs of Thebarton Oval and allow us to direct our resources elsewhere. “SANFL are well placed to be that partner given the synergies between both organisations. “There are a few hoops to jump through before we get to that point – though I’m sure they’ll provide that when they’re good and ready.”

West Torrens Mayor Michael Coxon said the council was facilitating discussions to ensure the “highly impressive development can happen without delay”. “We see this as a perfect opportunity for the Adelaide Football League to partner with SANFL and we expect this will help ‘future proof’ both competitions, while supporting council’s plans for the precinct,” Coxon said.

and

So in 4 or 5 years time Thebarton Oval could be a very different place have a lot more than $12.5m spent on it and then rather than needing to raise $60m, only need to find $30m and still have the $15m grant from the feds and use the existing Thebarton Aquatic Centre and other facilities around it.

Last edited:
They might be playing a longer game.

West Torrens Council own the oval precinct. They have spent a bit of money around the oval and bit on the oval the last decade. That whole Torrensville / Mile End area has gone thru some gentrification he last decade.

There is the Aquatic Centre, the senior college, the bowling club, tennis and basketball courts, all done up it seems over the last 5 years in particular.

The SA Amateur Football League now rebadged / trading as the Adelaide Footy League, took out a long term lease in 2008. The SANFL umpires have been based there since 2010.

The SANFL want to develop it as alternative venue and West Torrens Council as a multiple purpose venue.

The SANFL and Council put together a $12.5m basic development propose and Morrison's government gave them $6m grant in the 2019 pre election budget. Now they have to agree to the finer details.

Patrick Keam, Messenger Community News April 12, 2019 2:23pm

The SANFL, Adelaide Footy League and West Torrens Council will need to find common ground with plans for a proposed $12.5 million redevelopment of Thebarton Oval before the federal government-backed vision can progress. A $6 million funding pledge was announced in the latest federal budget towards the SANFL’s vision for a training, competition and administration sporting precinct at the ground. The SANFL would also contribute up to $6 million towards the project and the AFL a further $250,000.

But the state league will first need to work with landowners West Torrens and long-term tenant Adelaide Footy League to reach a shared vision.

SANFL chief executive Jake Parkinson said the proposed redevelopment would create a new hub for community football in Adelaide. “We’ve seen the success of the Adelaide Oval and what’s it’s done for the state’s AFL teams and (this project) will be like a footy hub for SANFL and community football,” Parkinson said. “It’s in the early stages. “At the same time, time is very much of the essence to address problems such as facilities and oval space, which community football is facing right now. “The longer we wait the longer it takes to solve those problems.”

Adelaide Footy League chief executive John Kernahan said he was aware the SANFL had made representations to the Federal Government in regard to the Thebarton Oval project. “We remain open to any initiative that provides tangible benefits and offers improved sustainability to our member clubs,” Kernahan said. “That may include a partner to reduce the operational costs of Thebarton Oval and allow us to direct our resources elsewhere. “SANFL are well placed to be that partner given the synergies between both organisations. “There are a few hoops to jump through before we get to that point – though I’m sure they’ll provide that when they’re good and ready.”

West Torrens Mayor Michael Coxon said the council was facilitating discussions to ensure the “highly impressive development can happen without delay”. “We see this as a perfect opportunity for the Adelaide Football League to partner with SANFL and we expect this will help ‘future proof’ both competitions, while supporting council’s plans for the precinct,” Coxon said.

and

So in 4 or 5 years time Thebarton Oval could be a very different place have a lot more than $12.5m spent on it and then rather than needing to raise $60m, only need to find $30m and still have the $15m grant from the feds and use the existing Thebarton Aquatic Centre and other facilities around it.

and use the ‘well we tried elsewhere, but were rejected, poor us’ excuse.

That moment when watching the second showdown from last year and Ted Walker kicks a goal within 15 seconds of the beginning of the second half and you realise you don't have to see another Crows goal all game.

1471256782-clarkson-being-a-smug-twat.gif
I stopped watching at that stage and went out for a walk in disgust (was watching on watchafl replay so didn't know the score).

Let's just say the walk did wonders

Hopefully the new one has stuff like this on it.
13817682014_08201072ae_b.jpg
The score is a beauty! Now, the scoreboard...

I can understand why some people are attached to it, but this scoreboard should have been gone ages ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back