Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Ahhhh TPFP - I spend half my time on big footy, trying to work out if unfamiliar user names on here had an earlier incarnation on TPFP.

Was a good site in some ways, but because it was privately set up, the moderating wasn't what a lot of people desired.

That place was about as welcoming as an SS guard at Auschwitz.

Ahhhh TPFP - I spend half my time on big footy, trying to work out if unfamiliar user names on here had an earlier incarnation on TPFP.

Was a good site in some ways, but because it was privately set up, the moderating wasn't what a lot of people desired.
Vi became paranoid about being sued.

You could be critical about Port there but being too negative, ie every bloody post, like some on here, were moderated out.

Vi became paranoid about being sued.

You could be critical about Port there but being too negative, ie every bloody post, like some on here, were moderated out.
Time to move on where we are no longer the big fish swimming in a little pond.

Just accept we are the only team from the suburbs that moved to the big league where it is bloody hard just to make a granny let alone win one.

Time to move on where we are no longer the big fish swimming in a little pond.

Just accept we are the only team from the suburbs that moved to the big league where it is bloody hard just to make a granny let alone win one.

I’m struggling to understand to whom you were replying.

This has nothing to do with we are talking here.

Last edited:
This year has been our Anus Horribilis:

Finlayson's woes, on field and off

SPP's 'exemplar' suspension, then ACL

Houston's homesickness, then mega suspension just in time for the finals

Qualifying Final massacre

Hinkley histrionics post Semi Final scrape-in

Koch's Obama declaration and Hinkley endorsement prior to subsequent Prelim reaming

Soldo dramatics

Koch's B&F speech

Trade period capitulation

Rory Atkins is a PAFC player

feel free to add...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This year has been our Anus Horribilis:

Finlayson's woes, on field and off

SPP's 'exemplar' suspension, then ACL

Houston's homesickness, then mega suspension just in time for the finals

Qualifying Final massacre

Hinkley histrionics post Semi Final scrape-in

Koch's Obama declaration and Hinkley endorsement prior to subsequent Prelim reaming

Soldo dramatics

Koch's B&F speech

Trade period capitulation

Rory Atkins is a PAFC player

feel free to add...
And 2024 ain't over yet.

I know the list is getting to Father Christmas 1945 Germany naughty long but Port should never refer to another club as the Magpies. This has tipped me over

View attachment 2142966

I agree with you about this. GWS refer to South Melbourne, as, well, South Melbourne. PAFC is a weak spineless impostor of its former self.

I know the list is getting to Father Christmas 1945 Germany naughty long but Port should never refer to another club as the Magpies. This has tipped me over

View attachment 2142966

They used RAA’s image, haven’t they? Still, it was unnecessary.

Small things matter.

Football had started changing to using handball as an attacking weapon from the mid-60s and 100 handballs in a match started to be the benchmark.

Never mind the Victorian bullshit, it was Jack Oatey who brought the change about. Barassi just copied it in the 1970 VFL grand final.

Fos was a mark kick type coach. Chicken Hayes used to tell the story of how Port had 3 handballs in a grand final once (maybe 1967) and Fos was after him all summer because he had 2 of them.

Jack Cahill adopted the new skills-based style and regenerated Port as still physically fierce but also skilled in play on football.
Agreed, Jack Oatey invented the modern skills based game, and as you say `Barassi just copied it!'

Fos coached in the Victorian style in having weight of numbers at the fall of the ball and then forcing it forwards at all costs, and it was extremely successful.
He was also brilliant at making in game changes to get a better match up on a given day, eg the move of Geoff Motley from the centre to the half forward line in a GF when he kicked a match winning 7 goals.

His 1966 - 73 squads had nowhere near the skill level of the 1954-59 and early 1960's teams which was exposed in some of those GF's against Sturt but we still could have pinched the 1967 flag with an ounce of luck, and probably should have won the 1972 GF against the chooks when Randall Gerlach dominated the marking contests, but as we have discussed before couldn't kick straight.

Jack Cahill changed the game style from 1974 with much more run and carry and regular quick hand ball to the player in the best position to receive it, and once he coached his first flag he got the taste and then began another dynasty! :)

Just on John Cahill, I'm not old enough to remember him as a player, only as coach, from late 70s onwards.

Disregarding his coaching record, how would he rate all up as a player? I know he was skillful and played quite a lot on the Wing.......was he equally tough?

Would he be seen as as being in the top group of players of his time, such as Eustice, Head, Sherman, Marker (obviously Robran too) etc?

I guess I'm curious because I know he is very highly rated as a player, but his coaching record is generally the main focus these days.

Did he do well in interstate football?

Did he ever come close to winning the Magarey?

Just on John Cahill, I'm not old enough to remember him as a player, only as coach, from late 70s onwards.

Disregarding his coaching record, how would he rate all up as a player? I know he was skillful and played quite a lot on the Wing.......was he equally tough?

Would he be seen as as being in the top group of players of his time, such as Eustice, Head, Sherman, Marker (obviously Robran too) etc?

I guess I'm curious because I know he is very highly rated as a player, but his coaching record is generally the main focus these days.

I only saw the tail end of his career as a wily half forward flanker and he could still change a game off his own boot.

But he is a Port Adelaide great as a player.

4 x premiership player
4 x best and fairest
29 state games (SA captain 3 years in a row)
Port Adelaide Greatest team (wing)

Jack was only 180cm and 75kg and regarded as one of the fairest players in the competition, but never ever missed a contest.

There was a story about Neil Kerley cleaning him up once and an old lady belting Kerls with an umbrella.

This excerpt from Australian Football gives a good summary

In 264 club and 29 state games John (popularly referred to as ‘Jack’) Cahill never performed with an intensity of effort below 100%. To football followers who can recall seeing him play his very name is synonymous with courage. However, 'Gentleman Jack' as he became known was also a superlatively skilled footballer, capable of taking a strong and sometimes spectacular mark as well as being a smooth ball handler and penetratingly accurate left foot kick.

Beginning with Port Adelaide in 1958, Cahill quickly developed into one of the state's top wingmen, thereby following in the footsteps of his uncle, Laurie Cahill, who had played the position with distinction for both South Adelaide and South Australia a couple of decades earlier. Midway through his career, however, John Cahill was switched to centre, where he performed with equal distinction until replaced, late in his career, by another all time great in the shape of Russell Ebert. Cahill played much of his later football across half forward, where he proved a prolific goal-kicker.

A tremendous on-field leader, Cahill captained Port between 1967 and 1973. He also skippered South Australia for three consecutive years and, after the 1969 Adelaide carnival, was selected as vice-captain of the All Australian team. Some observers felt that South Australia's failure to maintain its challenge to the VFL in the second half of that carnival's decisive game was attributable in no small way to Cahill's effectiveness being blunted after he pulled a muscle during the second term; up to that point he had been the single most influential figure in the match.

Cahill is in the top 5 on my list of Port Adelaide players, he had excellent skills including an on the run spiral punt that just kept going and often caught out oppo defenders, and he copped plenty of unfair attention behind play so he was tough as well.

He was named on the wing in the All Australian team after the 1969 carnival series and in the 1967 GF against Sturt he dominated in the centre for 3 and a half qtrs, and it was only when he ran out of steam late in that game that they were able to peg back a couple of goal deficit and go on to win the flag.

He won 4 B&F’s and Skippered the club at a time we had multiple Star players, played in a Fos Williams coached team where you were sent to West Adelaide or Woodville if you jumped at a spider let alone a contest on the footy field. I never saw him kick a footy, but know he was one hell of a footballer.

From what I have picked up in general conversations with older people who did see a few of the older boys get about, Robran, Ebert, Blight, Bagshaw, Davies were a level above (A+). Maker, Cahill, Evans, etc. then next tier down (A)

Voss, Black, Akkermanis, Judd, Ablett, Cousins, Bontempelli, Ricciuto (A+) vs Crawford, Carr, Lappin, Neale (A)

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's talk Ports! Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back