Liam Jurrah facing 4 extra charges

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems pretty surprisingly that he's back in the side. Can't imagine there's been many allowed to play with those kind of charges hanging over their head.

Was thinking the very same thing.

The AFL is always going on about how it's brand is viewed, fines anyone for giving a 1 finger salute on the field, fines players and coaches for talking about umpires but a player who is facing 5 serious police charges is free to play.

Given how Andy D seem's to follow the NFL playbook on most things would have thought he would have followed their example and suspended Liam under bringing the game into disrepute until the charges are dealt with

Because the victim of the machete attack had a whopping 6 stitches? The victim claimed Jurrah assaulted him after the two sides of the family have had a large feud for the last 2 years.

Do you know the full story? I thought in Australia you are innocent until proven guilty?
There's a fine line between few stitches and death when it comes to attacks with deadly weapon such as machetes.
Its your prerogative to hope he'll be found not guilty but chances of that happening are next to none and you know it.

Everyone close to Jurrah has commented the best way for him to move forward is through playing football. He has played for Casey and played well enough to earn senior selection.

Can posters as blatantly ignorant as the one above please refrain from posting in this thread.
The guy reporting about today's hearing on SEN said Jurrah looked like a man resigned to his fate, definitely not in a state to play senior football, don't be surprised if he snaps on the footy field.

Was thinking the very same thing.

The AFL is always going on about how it's brand is viewed, fines anyone for giving a 1 finger salute on the field, fines players and coaches for talking about umpires but a player who is facing 5 serious police charges is free to play.

Given how Andy D seem's to follow the NFL playbook on most things would have thought he would have followed their example and suspended Liam under bringing the game into disrepute until the charges are dealt with

how did jurrah bring the game into disrepute?

Absolutely pathetic that he is playing.

Didn't the Suns suspend Danny Stanley for a game or so because he was caught ****ing jaywalking?

carnthdees4eva

(Log in to remove this ad.)

how did jurrah bring the game into disrepute?

How did Shaw and Didak?
How did Steve Johnson and Matthew Stokes?

They are identifiable as AFL players and there actions reflected on the AFL brand until there legal issues where dealt with they were stood down unlike Liam who has just been unavailable for selection due to a slow healing wrist injury

How did Shaw and Didak?
How did Steve Johnson and Matthew Stokes?

They are identifiable as AFL players and there actions reflected on the AFL brand until there legal issues where dealt with they were stood down unlike Liam who has just been unavailable for selection due to a slow healing wrist injury

Ben Cousins was (rightly) deregistered and was never charged with a crime

Drug addiction should have nothing to do with the punitive justice system.. it's a health issue

i agree yet the bloke with the drug addiction was deregistered for being ill and jurrah is free to play. if taking to people with a machete isnt bringing the afl and its players into disrepute i dont know what is.

seems if your black you have an excuse just because your black. what a dispicable thing to do and people defend him all because he plays for them.
yes indeed if it was a white bloke you can bet your bottom dollar there would be no support from anyone. reverse racism is alive and well.

you eastern staters should come over to perth and go to northbridge on a friday night.
intimidation violence drunkeness total disrespect and the vast majority is done by our black cousins. 8 to 10 yr olds running amuck with parents who couldnt give a stuff. fagin like groups running around with adults keeping people occpied while the kids streal what they can.

the trouble is its not isolated its epidemic. hence the over representation in our courts and jails.

Well at least he didn't bring the game in to disrepute by not having drugs charges brought against him, unlike that criminal from WCE.

Cause its far worse getting ripped off your head, as opposed to attempting to rip someones head off.

Cause its far worse getting ripped off your head, as opposed to attempting to rip someones head off.

You know what the best bit of this is: The relevance to football. Not as if the man has been acquitted

As expected.

Racial sensitivity and racism are different concepts.

But please, Moderators, let this discussion continue :thumbsdown:

Liam may well have done wrong, no denying it from our P.O.V, but are we from CA? Nah, not 99.99999% of us. Can we judge accurately? Nah, not 99.99999% of us.

You sound like the kind of person who would care less about a female Aboriginal domestic violence victim then you would about a caucasian looking female victim of domestic violence.

Inb4shitstormbecausehe'saboriginal...
Oh wait.
I'm going to ignore the debate about whether racism exists and to whom it applies. That's a very complex issue, that I only have a limited understanding of (and I'll wager almost all posters are in a similar boat, despite their anecdotal evidence).
Jurrah is innocent until proven guilty. It is a serious crime, and he could very well wind up in jail for a long time. But that is a 'what if' scenario. Should he be playing? I'm 50/50. Arguably, it does bring the game into disrepute, but I think that has already happened and Jurrah playing will not amplify it. What I mean is, there is already a media storm over him; 'AFL player charged with several counts of aggravated assault with machete!' It's been all over the news for a while, which would have damaged the image of the game anyway. Having him play this weekend is hardly going to amplify that.
Melbourne are clearly throwing their support behind their guy, and showing it by selecting him to play. I haven't seen any evidence, it's a very blurred situation and I'll let the court decide Jurrah's fate regarding the issue. In the meantime, I don't see the harm in allowing him to play.
And before you get into me because I'm a Melbourne fan, and he'd be a big addition to our struggling team: he's coming off injury, and has this shit hanging over his head. I doubt he will star for us; but until things become a little clearer one way or the other, and until the issue is resolved, I have no big reservations with him playing.

I'd suggest the Melbourne supporters up in arms would have a vastly different view if Jurrah played for another club.

He should be deregistered immediately, just as the others (for far less) were.

Remove this Banner Ad

Liam Jurrah facing 4 extra charges

Remove this Banner Ad

Back