Liam Jurrah facing 4 extra charges

Remove this Banner Ad

You sound like the kind of person who would care less about a female Aboriginal domestic violence victim then you would about a caucasian looking female victim of domestic violence.

Well, you'd be wrong. Domestic violence and cultural justice are indeed different issues.

I wouldn't care more or less, just wouldn't be inclined to judge.

I'd suggest the Melbourne supporters up in arms would have a vastly different view if Jurrah played for another club.

He should be deregistered immediately, just as the others (for far less) were.

Vice versa.

Why would we delist a star footballer for something he may not have done.

Racial sensitivity and racism are different concepts..

Yes let's play the race card shall we......

Okay so racial sensitivity is letting a player charged with serious offences continue to play but when a player's charges are dismissed (as Cousin's were) it's right to deregister the player or that player does nothing more than lay a bet or make a racist comment it's right that he get's suspended.

Melbourne Football club must be pretty desperate if they want to play this fellow.

Vice versa.

Why would we delist a star footballer for something he may not have done.

He didn't say delist he said de-register that is making Jurrah unavailable for selection until the case has been dealt with

Well, you'd be wrong. Domestic violence and cultural justice are indeed different issues.

I wouldn't care more or less, just wouldn't be inclined to judge.

Would you say that you would be less inclined to judge an act of violence on an Aboriginal woman by an Aboriginal man than you would if a Caucasian man inflicted a violent act on a Caucasian woman?

Would you say that you would be less inclined to judge an act of violence on an Aboriginal woman by an Aboriginal man than you would if a Caucasian man inflicted a violent act on a Caucasian woman?

I believe that we live under a unified set of laws, but areas such as Central Australia are harder to Westernise - and for good reason.

It's not colour of the skin, its history and place of residence.

Cousins was definitely demonised and mistreated by the AFL media and administration.

If the stigma associated with drug use was not there, then maybe the club could have offered greater support, with him not being forced to be de-registered.

As for Jurrah, I think it is important MFC also offer him support, in the eyes of the law he is innocent until proven guilty and serious action/vilification should be avoided.

That said, I do wonder about the motivations of MFC playing him this round, with such serious charges hanging over his head.

I do think there is still a level of racism ingrained in Australian law enforcement and certain levels of government, in regards to indigenous Australians. But that has nothing to do with how the AFL and clubs act/react. In this case I believe that the AFL would strenuously object to a player being given a match if he was under the same scrutiny but of a different background to Jurrah.

I believe that we live under a unified set of laws, but areas such as Central Australia are harder to Westernise - and for good reason.

It's not colour of the skin, its history and place of residence.

Not one person in here is suggesting that skin colour is what contributes to committing acts of violence. Attitudes like yours when broadened throughout the community however exacerbate the plight of victims like the ones mentioned in this article. http://www.theaustralian.com.au/arts/culture-of-denial/story-e6frg8px-1111113048370

The motivation is Indigenous Round.

And the utter contempt with which Head Office treats the public grows more laughable by the week.

Do you really think they're going to deregister an aboriginal THIS of all weeks?

If at all?!

Seems pretty surprisingly that he's back in the side. Can't imagine there's been many allowed to play with those kind of charges hanging over their head.

Hurley was playing before he got sentenced and I'd say pretty much every other footballer who has been charged with doing something wrong has played before being sentenced. Obviously these charges are far more serious than what we usually see, but not really a surprise imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes we do know the charges, despite you refusing to acknowledge them.
Unlawfully causing serious harm, being armed with an offensive weapon at night and now another fresh 4 charges of aggravated assault. Lucky not to be charged with attempted manslaugher.

The fact he's been selected to play this weekend reflects very poorly on your club.

Attempted manslaughter hey? The attempted negligent death? Be pretty unlucky to get that one I'd say.

Attempted manslaughter hey? The attempted negligent death? Be pretty unlucky to get that one I'd say.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that 'attempted manslaughter' doesn't exist. That would imply that the person was intending to kill them, without intent, or through negligence. Doesn't really seem to fit.

These wouldn't be "new" charges, they would just be the first time the details have been released to the public.

The news bulletins are saying that they are indeed new charges. No doubt they have arisen as a result of further investigation although they appear to have occurred on the same night as those he is already charged with. Doesn't look very promising for the lad.

As for being selected to play this weekend, correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't his form in the VFL been fairly solid?

In this case I believe that the AFL would strenuously object to a player being given a match if he was under the same scrutiny but of a different background to Jurrah.

I share you thoughts about the AFL's objection. I don't even think Melbourne would play him if not for his background. Priors or not, I don't think Sylvia would be in the squad.

Guy is innocent until proven guilty. Time for you to all shut up until further notice. That or go and live in France where it's the opposite way around. :):thumbsu:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that 'attempted manslaughter' doesn't exist. That would imply that the person was intending to kill them, without intent, or through negligence. Doesn't really seem to fit.

Yeah it doesn't.

Naming him the day new charges are laid/announced (and with it being this round in particular) is a bit.... ah.... it really opens the door for people to draw conclusions and make assumptions. It's poor PR really.

It is really amusing reading all you soft southerner’s comments. None of you can even come to understand this issue until you’ve lived in these “traditional” Indigenous communities, where violence is a normal part of life. Where brain damage from alcohol and fighting is common. Where the first time a man is incarcerated is the only real initiation to manhood… Where there is complete fear for your safety and that of your family because of Indigenous violence! It must be great being a keyboard warrior in your leafy green middle class Melbourne suburb?

A lot of work has been done in the NT to try to better manage this problem. Football clubs (Eg: Wadeye Magic, Big River Hawks, Tiwi Bombers and Territory Thunder) have been developed where players are required to be in employment or study and not be charged or serving a community sentence for a criminal offence. This had a positive impact on our community. Suicide has dropped in the Tiwi Island. There has been a lull in the civil war in Wadeye. Yet the Melbourne Football Club think differently…

The Melbourne Football Club is a disgrace for allowing Jurrah to continue training, playing with Casey and now possibly playing AFL again. They are undermining all the good the work that has been done here. The Melbourne Football Club sends a message to young Indigenous men that violence is acceptable. This is one seriously pathetic club that lacks any sense of morality! The Melbourne Football Club is turning the Dreamtime Round into black violence round.

The Demons are a waste of space and the sooner they are out of the AFL the better!

PS: I’m not racist, I’m a realist!

Remove this Banner Ad

Liam Jurrah facing 4 extra charges

Remove this Banner Ad

Back