Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

NOTE - Do Not Engage With Trolls

Welcome to this the time of year when Geelong is knocked out of premiership contention - with our refusal to bottom out, when we get knocked out of finals it brings joy to opposition fans

That means we get increased incidents of trolling, both on our board and via PMs - sometimes from regular accounts and then there's those who decide to create new accounts to act as idiots

IF anyone encounters troll activity - either on this board or via PM, the best course of action is to report the content and then leave it for the mod & admin team to deal with

Do not tag trolls, quote troll posts as that increases the work for posts to be deleted, or post screenshots - anything like that will get deleted

Let's get back on track, discuss the game and even the season at hand for those who wish - though we'll try to get a season autopsy thread up in time

Sorry to intrude, but just want to offer my commiserations, plus, as a neutral, (though barracking for the Cats - my sister and nephew are Cats members and were at the game last night) post a couple of comments.

I thought there was a big switch in momentum early in the third quarter, when Dangerfield got pinged for a dangerous tackle on McCluggage. In my opinion it was not a dangerous tackle, but rather a very good tackle and the commentators also said that Dangerfield was hard done by.

It should have been holding the ball and instead of it going inside Brisbane's forward line and shortly after they got a goal, it should have gone into Geelong's forward 50 and who knows how that might have altered the direction of the game. It seemed to me that it took some of the "wind out of Geelong's Sails" that decision.

At least two other decisions, or in one situation, a non-decision, also impacted the game in that crucial stage of the third quarter. One was the mark paid to Charlie Cameron deep in the forward pocket, which to my eyes at least, it was out on the full, with his kick from the boundary resulting in a crucial goal. Tom Stewart also thought it was out too, though he may not have been the most reliable witness.

The second was on the members wing, when a Brisbane player gathered the ball (it might have been Berry) and it looked to me as if he kicked it forward after the ball had crossed the boundary. He was certainly outside the field of play but he may have kept the ball from crossing the line before he kicked it.

Although the free kick count only marginally favoured Brisbane, once again the umpiring was pretty average. The AFL has a huge problem with the standard of umpiring and scarily, on the assumption that they are the next generation of AFL Men's umpires, the standard is even worse in the AFLW. God help us all.

One thing that I felt was a disturbing trend right throughout the game was that Brisbane easily lead the possession count, which is never a good sign.

Anyway, look on the bright side, Cats fans, there is still next year when doubtless you will play us (North Melbourne), twice again and achieve two "nice" percentage boosting wins. :eek:

Serious question from a neutral - How much do you think the loss of your midfield coach was tonight? Steven King is the mid-field coach right? I'm guessing not having him there had some effect.
It certainly wouldn't have helped. The whole situation may have thrown the whole club out whack a tiny bit. It was quite distressing for the players to witness.

In terms of tactically, whether or not there was something Steven King could have added on the day that Chris Scott wouldn't have been able to identify; it's really hard to know.

I would have thought the message was pretty clear by now, and it was simply up to the playing group to execute what they've been training for all season.

I wouldn't like to use it as an excuse for why we lost the game. However, I wouldn't minimise the incident to the point where I'd be suggesting that it did not matter one iota.

Listening to Scott’s presser, it’s very clear the incident with King yesterday shook the club and his absence tonight was felt.

Also confirmed Holmes ‘did’ have a bit of gastro, and Covid going around the club. 👀
Give me a break. All teams have problems they deal with. Geelong were in a great position at half time. After the long break, Brisbane went to another level and Geelong did not have the energy or the will to match them. McInerney was a bigger loss for Brisbane than Holmes for Geelong. Given the extra week off there are no excuses. It was a wasted opportunity.

Sorry to intrude, but just want to offer my commiserations, plus, as a neutral, (though barracking for the Cats - my sister and nephew are Cats members and were at the game last night) post a couple of comments.

I thought there was a big switch in momentum early in the third quarter, when Dangerfield got pinged for a dangerous tackle on McCluggage. In my opinion it was not a dangerous tackle, but rather a very good tackle and the commentators also said that Dangerfield was hard done by.

It should have been holding the ball and instead of it going inside Brisbane's forward line and shortly after they got a goal, it should have gone into Geelong's forward 50 and who knows how that might have altered the direction of the game. It seemed to me that it took some of the "wind out of Geelong's Sails" that decision.

At least two other decisions, or in one situation, a non-decision, also impacted the game in that crucial stage of the third quarter. One was the mark paid to Charlie Cameron deep in the forward pocket, which to my eyes at least, it was out on the full, with his kick from the boundary resulting in a crucial goal. Tom Stewart also thought it was out too, though he may not have been the most reliable witness.

The second was on the members wing, when a Brisbane player gathered the ball (it might have been Berry) and it looked to me as if he kicked it forward after the ball had crossed the boundary. He was certainly outside the field of play but he may have kept the ball from crossing the line before he kicked it.

Although the free kick count only marginally favoured Brisbane, once again the umpiring was pretty average. The AFL has a huge problem with the standard of umpiring and scarily, on the assumption that they are the next generation of AFL Men's umpires, the standard is even worse in the AFLW. God help us all.

One thing that I felt was a disturbing trend right throughout the game was that Brisbane easily lead the possession count, which is never a good sign.

Anyway, look on the bright side, Cats fans, there is still next year when doubtless you will play us (North Melbourne), twice again and achieve two "nice" percentage boosting wins. :eek:

Top Post.

We got boned on a lot of deicsions.... Stewie with the bump.

Yeah spot on comments there.

I've posted photos elsewhere of where Cameron is standing (feet on the boundary line, facing the crowd) and he marks the ball in front of him. It literally cannot be in the field of play.

The other dumb one was Stewart legally contesting with one of their players in the air. Initially called "holding" then backpedalled into some weird "unnecessary contact" free?

Ah well, the AFL gets their result.

Give me a break. All teams have problems they deal with. Geelong were in a great position at half time. After the long break, Brisbane went to another level and Geelong did not have the energy or the will to match them. McInerney was a bigger loss for Brisbane than Holmes for Geelong. Given the extra week off there are no excuses. It was a wasted opportunity.
Holmes was almost best on ground up to that point so i dont agree with McInerney was a bigger loss however it pisses me off when coaches and especially Scott (has done it previously) goes into details about illness etc around the club as it makes it sound like he is making excuses, ffs just be gracious in defeat and stop talking about Covid and Gastro etc, gives the trolls extra ammunition as well and makes you sound like a whiny little baby.

Midfield was holding us back. We all knew it would end our season.
Pretty much sums up where the game was lost. They cut us up through there that second half and it was the difference. Holmes going down hurt us structurally quite badly.

I felt like oddly they looked a better unit with daniber in the ruck and going more mobile up forward

How we coughed it up in the 3rd was fking attrocious.

Needed a 2e or some older heads out there who are composed and confident players to settle the game down would have meant a lot.

Our composure sucked tonight. The moment got to us. We needed a few wiser heads out there tonight.

Umps were attrocious as well. Got some realy shyte calls.

I agree and handing sydney a free flag is something that should not be excused.

The thing that gets me about posts like this is the absolutism.

The total lack of humility or reflection on the fact that Scott, MC, and the list management team all clearly think very differently. People who incidentally a) know more about footy than you, and b) have way more info than you.

I have opinions on certain players too, but I also have perspective on how much confidence I should have in that opinion given the comparative lack of knowledge/experience/info I have to those who are actually in the know.

There's a point where an opinion crosses from confidence to arrogance. Congrats on highlighting that line for the rest of us.
Great post. You have to know what you don't know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shit like this doesn’t even bother me. If the first thing on peoples minds is to troll a club after a prelim loss then there’s really not much to say…
It says so much about that person that there’s just no need to even care.
If you read the troll + dismissed the vilifying content. . .

Stewart seemed panicked and hesitant. Set the tone.
His stats look ok but I didn’t think he led by example at all tonight.

There didn’t seem to be much system. Just kick the ball long at all costs. It almost worked, just so much lack of composure.
Probably because early on he was dudded on two ridiculous early umpiring decisions. It's enough to cruel anyone's ambition in a game

Pretty much sums up where the game was lost. They cut us up through there that second half and it was the difference. Holmes going down hurt us structurally quite badly.

I felt like oddly they looked a better unit with daniber in the ruck and going more mobile up forward
Joe can launch it 60m dangerous type even as a ruck.

Thanks for an interesting season guys. Even though it was ultimately disappointing, there was so much to take out of it. Farewells to our champions and new hope with the emerging crop. Heck of a ride this year. <S>
a46065c2a64c099c0dfd84943cbfa17d.gif

Sorry for the intrusion, that was a great game today and will go down as one of the greatest finals games ever played.

Your club has been up for so long (what is it, something crazy like 13 finals series in 15 years?) that I’m sure Chris and the coaching staff will have some smart recruiting over the off-season and you will be there abouts again next year.

It’s also refreshing to barely see any umpire bashing in your game day thread and to just acknowledge it was a great game and the Lions got the better bounce of the footy by the final siren. Very level headed supporter base.

Look forward to the battles next season and to see your clever recruiting in action again, you guys just never fall off the cliff and bounce back again!

Mate I’m 12 pages into this thread and there are comments I agree with and others that are complete rubbish.

What I don’t think is being appreciated is that making it back to a prelim is no guarantee… it’s ****ing hard work. We’ve been super lucky to play in so many. We may not see another for years.. who knows…

We blew a golden opportunity tonight. Pretending otherwise/consoling yourself that bris were the better team is complete and utter BS. We should have won tonight. End of story. May we have lost next week based on injuries/suspensions… maybe. But we should have won this game.

Blow as much smoke up your arse as you want.. this was a missed opportunity.

have we over performed from preseason predictions.. 100% but that doesn’t excuse tonight
I think that’s a little harsh. Whilst I do think this was a golden opportunity and who knows when we get another opportunity, there’s no shame in losing to this Brisbane team. Yes we let one slip, I think there will be lots of sleepless nights for some in the team but by no means a bad season given the expectations going in. Plenty of positives

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back