Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

NOTE - Do Not Engage With Trolls

Welcome to this the time of year when Geelong is knocked out of premiership contention - with our refusal to bottom out, when we get knocked out of finals it brings joy to opposition fans

That means we get increased incidents of trolling, both on our board and via PMs - sometimes from regular accounts and then there's those who decide to create new accounts to act as idiots

IF anyone encounters troll activity - either on this board or via PM, the best course of action is to report the content and then leave it for the mod & admin team to deal with

Do not tag trolls, quote troll posts as that increases the work for posts to be deleted, or post screenshots - anything like that will get deleted

Let's get back on track, discuss the game and even the season at hand for those who wish - though we'll try to get a season autopsy thread up in time

Give me a break. All teams have problems they deal with. Geelong were in a great position at half time. After the long break, Brisbane went to another level and Geelong did not have the energy or the will to match them. McInerney was a bigger loss for Brisbane than Holmes for Geelong. Given the extra week off there are no excuses. It was a wasted opportunity.
That unfortunately just isn’t true.

Stanley could have 150 hitouts. It makes zero difference. Maybe you could argue it took Daniher away from FF which hurt them. We still lost all stoppages, clearances etc

Holmes was the best player on the ground until he got hurt. This years Geel midfield group can’t win if Danger or Holmes are absent.

Gutted by the loss but have to give credit where it's due to the lions who were the better team in a hell of a contest.

I thought we had the tactical upper hand for most of the game, but some of the basic skills were off. Missed shots, missed marks, fumbles, miscommunication.

When Stengle kicked the ball away to give away an ill-disciplined 50m penalty, I thought something's not quite right, this is going to be one of those nights.

Finals is like that. The pressure finds a way to throw a cruel spotlight on even the smallest of cracks and weaknesses.

At the end of the day it's a missed opportunity, nothing more. But you just never know whether it will be 12 months or 12 years before you get another chance.

When you look at how much change there has been to this team even during the season itself it reminds you that next year may have to have a few steps back before the 2 steps forward. But it's the rise of the likes of Dempsey and Humphries and others that gives me faith that we will be back in the not-too-distant future.
Stengle had his worst game for the club by the length of the Flemington Straight.

Missed a goal in the second from the goal square to put us 4 goals us when he could have handballed to Dempsey.

Slid off the tackle in the first when he had the bloke dead to rights 20m out.

That dribble effort from 10m out in the 3rd

That last inside 50 kick when we were 5 points down and he just torched it. He had Danger on for an eternity but shanked it to Atkins.

Uncharacteristic game. It happens but it was a bad time to have a bad game

Out of interest when was the last time we had a come from behind finals win?
Feels like we have been on the receiving end a lot during our 2 decades success.
Tonight up by 25 in the 3rd
Up by 21 late in the 2nd qtr the 22 GF Richmond
Up by 21 at half time in the 2019 Prelim Richmond
Up by 20 at 3/4 time in the 2013 prelim Hawthorn
There are prob more I'm missing too

I remember us getting really close to stealing that final against North with a late come back but fell short

Not GWS level but still stings when we have found ourselves in such strong positions and go on to lose

Ollie Henry take a bow. Where have all the haters gone?
He completed really well in the last quarter, but way particularly bad in the third, let them get way to many intercept marks, and insisted on the cheap leads toward goal instead of the ball carrier.

That miss in the first quarter - his accuracy has give from very reliable in the first half of the year to quite yippy in the second half.

Hopefully that last quarter is the making of him as a player, but overall he did not have a good game imo with the same problems on display.

Ollie Henry take a bow. Where have all the haters gone?
Take a bow 🙇🏼‍♂️ . At the game he doesn’t chase ever, doesn’t compete in an air at all. Goes to ground so he doesn’t have to compete. Zero tackles again. Every time they run it out it’s always off his guy because he’s just thinking if they just turn it over I’ll be “on” here.

As I said earlier he is like a supremely talented local football who kicks goals and does absolutely nothing else to help the team.

We had 60 inside 50s and outside of the mark in the last he didn’t halve or win one contest. The 3rd quarter when we were up against it he got out marked one on one what 4 straight entires?

Glad he got us back into it at the very end but he’s got plenty of work to do this off season. Or he could just sit back and say hey I kicked 4 in a prelim.

Stengle had his worst game for the club by the length of the Flemington Straight.

Missed a goal in the second from the goal square to put us 4 goals us when he could have handballed to Dempsey.

Slid off the tackle in the first when he had the bloke dead to rights 20m out.

That dribble effort from 10m out in the 3rd

That last inside 50 kick when we were 5 points down and he just torched it. He had Danger on for an eternity but shanked it to Atkins.

Uncharacteristic game. It happens but it was a bad time to have a bad game
All that. Brisbane were also burned, same as us in 2009, so wanted it FAR MORE.. I'm still wasted so will not add to this but that's how I see it now. They wanted it and they wanted it MORE.

Doubt we'll get any quality mids other than Smith. We definitely need to look for a ruck. I thought Conway looked okay when he played earlier this year, but the bloke is made of glass. Until his body can withstand a season or two, we can't rely on him coming along at all.

If he stays, maybe we should focus on making SDK our starting ruck option. If he moves on, maybe we can use him as capital to get something in the area.
If SDK goes to Carlton we should say the only acceptable trade is TDK….. 😂

We gave it a good go and kept trying against a team that played very good footy. Not everyone played their best footy but we still could have almost pinched it. We didn’t play as well as we played against port, but that’s how our year has been really- a bit up and down. Still we fought on. I’m impressed by the year we have had, by the improvement of some of the kids. By the tenacity of some of the older players.
We will see a few retirements but things are looking ok. I’ll be going into next season more optimistically than I went into this one-and look how well that turned out. Go cats.
Reckon brissy are a good chance to get up next week. They played some lovely footy last night. Swans are very good too. Should be a good game. And I don’t really mind who wins.

The umpires had an absolute mare and ruined the flow of the game.

Not that it matters now but the Charlie Cameron mark in the pocket was out on the full I had the perfect angle of it.
Stewart bumped a bloke fair and square and it’s a free against?
Christ are we umpiring a juniors game or an AFL prelim? Let it go for **** sake. It was embarrassing to watch.

We should have known it would be over umpired, just like it was in the other prelim on Friday. Massive contrast to the way week 1 was umpired.

The loss is a bitter pill to swallow. To me it’s just another wasted opportunity.
Yes we did well to get there and good job and all but to put yourself in that position then lose like that is hard to deal with.
That Stengle miss at the start of the 3rd to put us 4 goals up was so costly. You could tell at the time. Normally he kicks those easily.

Oh well life goes on and there’s nothing we can do about it now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The more I look at it, the more I think it was a great effort by us to get that close considering:

Midfield got smashed. Just checked the numbers. Simple as that. Has been the big weakness all year, Smith might help but need some inside grunt.
Our midfield was ranked number 1 in the last 8 weeks of the season.
They just had an absolute mare last night.

Sydney would have belted us next week. Let's not kid ourselves.

That was my feeling watching the game. In the moment I so wanted to win but I didn't feel we were much chance next week. Final siren I was kind of circumspect about it all rather than totally gutted.

Swans midfield just too good, and their deliver into F50 was spot on on Friday night.

They will likely be too good for Brisbane too, but the Lions have a game that could trouble them.

The umpires had an absolute mare and ruined the flow of the game.

Not that it matters now but the Charlie Cameron mark in the pocket was out on the full I had the perfect angle of it.
Stewart bumped a bloke fair and square and it’s a free against?
Christ are we umpiring a juniors game or an AFL prelim? Let it go for **** sake. It was embarrassing to watch.

We should have known it would be over umpired, just like it was in the other prelim on Friday. Massive contrast to the way week 1 was umpired.

The loss is a bitter pill to swallow. To me it’s just another wasted opportunity.
Yes we did well to get there and good job and all but to put yourself in that position then lose like that is hard to deal with.
That Stengle miss at the start of the 3rd to put us 4 goals up was so costly. You could tell at the time. Normally he kicks those easily.

Oh well life goes on and there’s nothing we can do about it now.
Haha there was at least three occasions where we were screwed by a boundary umpire who had good position. Weird.

Not mention a couple of missed 50s

I have a theory someone dished out rotton bananas to the boys at half time - energy was missing, mistake after mistake. Players turning to water... Whatever happened at half time should never happen again. Brisbane did not 'turn it on' - they were extremely average all night we were just happend to find a way to play even worse. Could not buy a clean forward entry - every kick went to Brisbanes advantage... Turnover after turnover all night.
Started thinking about the next week once we got 25 points up probably...

I'll throw a positive up:

Lawson Humphries

Possibly the biggest positive of the season. We’ve found a 200 game player.

After the game last night I went out for dinner near the ground with my brother and all the kids. At 10pm we are walking back to Richmond Station to get home and my soon to be 19 year old daughter says to me, “Dad, do you reckon Lawson Humphries is good looking?”. I replied, “He looks pretty bloody good to me”. I’m not sure we were talking about the same thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back