Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

We were a true premiership contender this year. Bad Luck is the reason we arent playing this week.
PF are super hard to win we failed a few times at this.
But the club has a crack at it every year.
We've been lucky enough to see 4 flags...

The one for me is Holmes. Irrespective of being a team sport, it would be beyond heartbreak for the kid to miss again. Drove us all year, B&F etc. and irreplaceable. Couldn't stand all the hoopla that would go on about Danger's tackle either.
So sunnyside up, but I have a feeling next week we'll think we could have got them (Bris/Swans) rather than it be a walkover.

I have a strange feeling Swans are gonna roll Brisbane by 40+ and it'll be the 4th year in a row the Minor Premier wins the Cup. They just seem to be the best running unit that even with their slow starts just overwhelm with their talent.

Grand Finals are rarely close games. Other than 2018 and 2023 every other year for the last decade has been a major blowout. 2013 Grand Final didn't really reflect end result even if the margin looks close. Hawks had that game won by 3/4 time.

Even going back further to the Saints and Pies draw in 2010 the GF replay was a blowout too. 2009 was close but 2007 holds the biggest margin ever and 2008 wasn't really close by the end of the game.

Generally it is Prelims that are close and Grand Final's in which the best team shows up and wins.
If we were playing this weekend going in with health issues and even some key blokes missing, Swans would maul us by a big margin. I'm positive of it.

Everyone's focusing on midfield possession numbers but they didn't hurt us one bit from there. This is almost entirely a tactical choice to play fast moving, ultra low possession games.

Anybody mentioned yet that Bruhn and Atkins had more score involvements combined than Neale and Dunkley or does that not fit the narrative?

The problem in the 3rd quarter was our half forwards lost composure going forward and our deep forwards were too often out of position. We turned it over in bad spots and couldn't stop them going back the other way.

ut I don’t think it’s unreasonable to also acknowledge that we were soundly beaten after half time by their midfield. Their ability to run and link up in transition killed us. They also fluffed some shots which should have had them further in front at times.

That Brisbane midfield is the best in the league TBH. It’s not quite Ablett, Bartel, Corey, Selwood & Ling but it’s up there.
All in prime age demo, sans Ashcroft who was essentially a #1 pick.
Looking forward to Holmes, Smith, Bruhn, Bowes in a couple of years. We need one more A grader though.
Atkins probably best to take Bews spot in the back pocket if possible.

All good points above. Part of thought we looked gassed in the last quarter - when we had the ball at half back we didn't have the same deperate run I used to see from Bartel and Selwood for example.

It may have been fitness, others have cited Bruhn was hurt, we'd lost Holmes.

But then my mind also thinks about these seasoned Brisbane mids, who have been on the big stage and had the hurt of loss in the last couple of years. I won't go as far as to say they wanted it more - but I dunno, there's something to be said for experience and pain from yesteryear. Maybe some of our younger guys just didn't quite fully grasp what the occasion was about and how precious it was. Maybe they just needed a bit more belief in themselves.

Only a bit though, geez we weren't far off.

If Sydney doesn't win it comfortably it will be a choke from them, IMO
Brisbane can win it .
They been in and around finals for a while .
Swans will want to start well...they been slow out of the blocks all year.
Both teams can score very fast.

Brisbane like to get out in front and try to stay there.

Brisbane can win it .
They been in and around finals for a while .
Swans will want to start well...they been slow out of the blocks all year.
Both teams can score very fast.

Brisbane like to get out in front and try to stay there.

I agree, Bris can definitely win.

The pressure is on Syd though, they've lost their last 3 GFs.

There was a really good article in The Age by Michael Gleeson - "This was anything but a fumbled premiership". He mentions Geelong's poor percentage, outgunned midfield, ruck problems and aging stars. He sees it as a solid transition year for a Geelong team which is radically different from the 2022 premiership side.

Attachments

• IMG_3138.jpeg
    IMG_3138.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
Yeah initially I thought Sydney in a canter but the more I think about the game the the more I can make a case for Brisbane

They are just a better team on paper man for man, they are playing with freedom, they just got pipped last year and I am suspicious of Sydney away from SCG...

Grundy the key here, if he dominates Sydney will but if Fort can hold his own why not Brisbane

Either way the loss will be devastating for the loser
Runners up in 2/2 or 2/3 GF

There was a really good article in The Age by Michael Gleeson - "This was anything but a fumbled premiership". He mentions Geelong's poor percentage, outgunned midfield, ruck problems and aging stars. He sees it as a solid transition year for a Geelong team which is radically different from the 2022 premiership side.
I like his comment that fans trying to get a beer worked harder than Geelong in the 3rd quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not a fumbled premiership or a choke where we should have won it. But it was a great opportunity to sneak a flag.

Yeah initially I thought Sydney in a canter but the more I think about the game the the more I can make a case for Brisbane

They are just a better team on paper man for man, they are playing with freedom, they just got pipped last year and I am suspicious of Sydney away from SCG...

Grundy the key here, if he dominates Sydney will but if Fort can hold his own why not Brisbane

Either way the loss will be devastating for the loser
Runners up in 2/2 or 2/3 GF

who's 2/3?

I count 2014 for Sydney - even if none of the players from that year are still current.

With respect, I completely disagree.

Firstly, footy is a free-flowing game. It's not like rugby or cricket, where 'captain's call' kind of works, because there are natural stops in play where everyone stops moving for 30 seconds. Even at ball-ups, that never happens in AFL.

Secondly, that football rules operate in a uniquely grey area (and always have). Slo-mo replays won't achieve that much. Video review works far, far better for black and white rules, like offside in soccer.

Thirdly, that the spread of players (and the amount of time each player spends on the bench) means that the captain isn't always going to be within cooee of the play itself, or even within calling distance of an umpire in a game with 90,000 idiots screaming their heads off.
I'm with you. You can't be handing a player the ability to stop game momentum

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back