Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

All good points above. Part of thought we looked gassed in the last quarter - when we had the ball at half back we didn't have the same deperate run I used to see from Bartel and Selwood for example.

It may have been fitness, others have cited Bruhn was hurt, we'd lost Holmes.

But then my mind also thinks about these seasoned Brisbane mids, who have been on the big stage and had the hurt of loss in the last couple of years. I won't go as far as to say they wanted it more - but I dunno, there's something to be said for experience and pain from yesteryear. Maybe some of our younger guys just didn't quite fully grasp what the occasion was about and how precious it was. Maybe they just needed a bit more belief in themselves.

Only a bit though, geez we weren't far off.
Absolutely. Our 2022 campaign came off the back of many finals heartbreaks.
Even ‘07 was off the back of missing finals following a prelim in ‘04 & SF in ‘05.
For that reason I think it was the right call backing in the kids. Now they’ll have the hunger and experience for the next 5-10 years.

I agree, Bris can definitely win.

The pressure is on Syd though, they've lost their last 3 GFs.
Yep- but brissy has lost 2 prelims and a gf in the last 4 years - so plenty of motivation there too . That’s one of the factors that should make this a good final- 2 teams really wanting a flag. ( which is always the case of course, but the repeated near misses by these two teams gives it more spice.)

Where does this game rank (if at all) in your most crushing losses list?

Big daddy is of course 2008 GF and 2020 wasn't a blast. But for me this is up there. I feel we let a great opportunity go by
It's behind the 2019 and 2013 prelims as far as prelim losses go for me at least.

But it honestly hurts more than the 2020 GF tbh.

Just got around to watching the first half. Another day we’re 6+ goals up at HT. The non-deliberate OOB because he was on the ground - seriously WTF. Oh and Mullin did a whole lot right and not a lot wrong. Just need him to see more of it in time. Those that can’t see it are kidding themselves.

Just got around to watching the first half. Another day we’re 6+ goals up at HT. The non-deliberate OOB because he was on the ground - seriously WTF. Oh and Mullin did a whole lot right and not a lot wrong. Just need him to see more of it in time. Those that can’t see it are kidding themselves.
I feel like I need to watch it again to fully grasp what happened (was at the game which can complicate detailed viewing), but I just can’t bring myself to do it!

Was invisible till the last 40 minutes, then he did a few good things.

Also, what kind of masochist are you? That's like the French watching WW2 movies.
Go and look at the first half again, did well in just about every contest he was in. Nonsensical statement.

Agreed. The loyalty Chris has for his senior players these days is becoming counter productive. Duncan should not be playing on, but Chris won't kick him out. Had no such loyalty to Bartel, SJ, Stokes, Kelly etc. He made the hard calls which needed to be made.
Pretty sure Guthrie and Hawkins were available for selection late in the year.

I would see Duncan and Stanley as having a 2022 Higgins/Dalhaus season.

Thinking about things since Saturday, and although I had that horrible feeling all week that the result we got is what would happen, I concede that all teams this year have had their ups and downs, but as supprters we critique our own team more harshly- well I do.
I think this result hurts so much because of the joy we felt 2 years ago, and how great that was. And we were indeed close. A Holmes virus and injury, and that may have been the difference.
Who knows who was afflicted with Covid last week, but it sounds like there was a bit going on.
And S. King.
Some of our guns has poor games, none moreso than Stengle, and let's hope our young players that have experienced the pain of Saturday come back stronger and hungrier.
And hoping we can keep players like DEK, who will be disappinted but if honest with himself, should get that he was not an automatic selection last week.
And then those that will retire.
How long Stanley, who still has something, and Duncan, who looks cooked, stay on, will be interesting list management.

Agreed. The loyalty Chris has for his senior players these days is becoming counter productive. Duncan should not be playing on, but Chris won't kick him out. Had no such loyalty to Bartel, SJ, Stokes, Kelly etc. He made the hard calls which needed to be made.

Pretty bizarre comment after Tuohy, Hawkins and Guthrie were all left out while Duncan was dropped to sub.

I feel like I need to watch it again to fully grasp what happened (was at the game which can complicate detailed viewing), but I just can’t bring myself to do it!
I’m in the same boat. I’ll watch it at some stage this week.
Not looking forward to putting myself through the pain though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty bizarre comment after Tuohy, Hawkins and Guthrie were all left out while Duncan was dropped to sub.
Pretty sure Guthrie and Hawkins were available for selection late in the year.

I would see Duncan and Stanley as having a 2022 Higgins/Dalhaus season.
He seems to show a lot more loyalty to senior players now than he used to in terms of list spots. That is what I was getting at.

Chapman, Bartel, Kelly, Stokes and SJ etc., were all booted out at around 31/32.

Yet, in more recent times, equal and often lesser players like Tuohy, Guthrie, Duncan, Stanley, etc., seem to be treated very differently and be allowed to play on into their mid thirties/announce their own retirements.

He seems to show a lot more loyalty to senior players now than he used to in terms of list spots. That is what I was getting at.

Chapman, Bartel, Kelly, Stokes and SJ etc., were all booted out at around 31/32.

Yet, in more recent times, equal and often lesser players like Tuohy, Guthrie, Duncan, Stanley, etc., seem to be treated very differently and be allowed to play on into their mid thirties/announce their own retirements.

100% Correct.

The aging stars today are further past their used by date then the Geelong Immortals on the 2000's

Yeah but I also think the lack of list spots pressure plays a part. We don't exactly have three first rounders coming in every year

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back