Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

At a quick count from say 1962 ( the 1st year in the 60s that Geel qualified for the finals )

So we have 62 years/seasons, a decent mean average statistically speaking

The record is 5 Premierships 7 Grand Final losses , and here is the absolute shocker , i would say 15 to 17 Preliminary final losses , talk about a stack of wasted opportunities

So you are 1000 % correct in your summation of Geelong , the Cats never win Flags out of turn , they have to have the best or equal best side in the comp and they normally win the Premiership , go right back to the 50s where they won back to back flags in 51/52 , they won 30 games in a row or something , so they were clearly the best side back then

The only ones who wont like your accurate summation , are supporters who think their club is great , tremendous , utterly fantastic in every blooody thing

Its still a very good performance , but it could have been a fair bit better
I don't see how the VFL 60s are even valid to this generation of Geelong. Geelong as we know it now was essentially rebooted by Costa, Cook and Thompson in 2000.

We're not the only team to lose as the higher ranked side and Geelong did win two premierships 'out of turn' 2009 & 2011.

The club is not utterly fantastic in every bloody thing, they, more than anyone would be angry at the missed opportunities.

Here's a list of Finals series/Top 4/Grand Finals/Flags/Years out of finals since 2000
Adelaide - 12/6/1/0/13
Brisbane - 12/8/5/3*/13
Carlton - 9/1/0/0/17
Collingwood - 17/10/6/2/8
Essendon - 12/2/2/1/13
Fremantle - 8/5/1/0/15
Geelong - 19/15/6/4/6
Gold Coast - 0/0/0/0/0
GWS - 7/3/1/0/6
Hawthorn - 13/8/6/4/12
Melbourne - 9/4/1/1/16
North Melbourne - 10/2/0/0/16
Port - 13/9/2/1/12
Richmond - 9/4/3/3/16
St Kilda - 9/5/2/0/16
Sydney - 20/10/7/2*/5
West Coast - 14/6/4/2/11
Western Bulldogs - 12/3/2/1/13

Brisbane, Hawks and Tigers have a better flag to finals ratio however they spent far more time outside finals - 13 years, 12 years and 16 years respectively.

Sure you can look at these stats and say we should've won more flags, but if you need comparison, the only other clubs that have had a sustained run close to ours are the Pies and Swans and they have only won 2 flags each (could change this weekend).

You can view stats from any point of view and consider it an accurate summation.

But regardless of how you spin it, I think it's madness to grade the current Geelong below an A.

The Geelong Football Club is great and tremendous.

Last edited:
At what stage did you accept we lost the game?
Even when we got the lead with a few minutes to go, we could not stop their hunger for the win.
So I fail to see how we should have been there, notwithstanding our poor first 4 scores, losing Holmes, we still got into a winning position, but, as we saw....
About 30 seconds to go before stanley hit the post.

At what stage did you accept we lost the game?
Even when we got the lead with a few minutes to go, we could not stop their hunger for the win.
So I fail to see how we should have been there, notwithstanding our poor first 4 scores, losing Holmes, we still got into a winning position, but, as we saw....
With the benefit of hindsight, I believe we lost the game in the third quarter when we had some really good opportunities to find available players in an open forward line and kicked it straight to them instead. Must have happened at least five times and generally resulted in them rapidly moving the ball back into their forward half cleanly and quickly.

The coach specifically pointed this out in his post-match interview and I thought it became the clearest factor in our loss in the end. Take just a couple of those opportunities (when we were generally under manageable pressure in trying to hit the kick into F50) and we're lacing up the boots for another grandy this weekend.

Such. Is, Life.

Brereton is one who is happy to talk about having injuries being the reason he got toweled up by Rhys Jones in 87, not exactly live by the sword, die by the sword, despite what he would have you think. I don’t buy this second hit theory. He certainly ran back at him as per the footage, but knee? I reckon we’d know about that.
Yeah, people who saw the event live swore there was a second hit that did the damage, and it's evident on the slow motion replay that he goes at him again.

Besides, that first hit is in Brereton's shoulder, nowhere near the ribs or the kidneys which got hurt.

Surely, somewhere in the Channel 7 bunker lies the footage...

Yeah, people who saw the event live swore there was a second hit that did the damage, and it's evident on the slow motion replay that he goes at him again.

Besides, that first hit is in Brereton's shoulder, nowhere near the ribs or the kidneys which got hurt.

Surely, somewhere in the Channel 7 bunker lies the footage...
Just a hip and shoulder, it was a big hit.

I’d go the other way - a bit too much carry on for the incident as it was. That’s Dermott to me, I’ll pretend to talk it down but I’ll really talk it up, and won’t correct people when they keep talking it up. Good for the profile.

In the modern world of AFL, there's no better position in which to simply be a good, honest trier than as a back-up ruckman.

If you can match that with some durability (as Forty has), you've got every chance of a longish stay on an AFL list.
Same reason I had a soft spot for Trent West.

Was a great game but a lot of what could have been about it.

Felt like we failed to adapt to Brisbanes clear game plan after half time to take the game on with speed, we seemed to try and go head to head with them there and we didn't need to as we were 2-3 goals up, there were times in that 3rd we just needed to slow the game down and allow our zone to setup.

A few real momentum killers like Mannagh's missed goal/pass to an easy goal, the bs dangerous tackle free against Danger.

I don't think the weather helped us in the end as it meant Brisbane weren't as punished for moving Joe to the ruck and made crumbing more important and Neale didn't seem to handle the conditions up forward for us.

Bit of an 08 GF feeling about it with some of those missed goals, on a different day Stengle would have had 4 but tonight everything he touched went wrong.
Stengles misses and not giving the easy handball are haunting given the delta

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

Just a hip and shoulder, it was a big hit.

I’d go the other way - a bit too much carry on for the incident as it was. That’s Dermott to me, I’ll pretend to talk it down but I’ll really talk it up, and won’t correct people when they keep talking it up. Good for the profile.
I genuinely don’t think it hit in the right spot for split kidney and broken ribs, and he absolutely looks to go at him again.

And look, I don’t have any issue with what Yeates did. It was 1989, and picking off players was something Dermott did with impunity.

Starting to feel awfully annoyed we arent there. We should be there. Not sure i can watch it.
I was a bit annoyed by this matchup at first because I am ambivalent towards both these teams. So much more fun having a bad guy/good guy in the contest.
Then I realised that I want the swans to win a one sided game by a big healthy margin, otherwise last weeks loss will really hit home as opportunity genuinely missed. C’mon Swannies!

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Lions prevail by 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back