Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
The Swans travel up to Brizvegas for our game against the Lions. After an impressive off season recruitment drive the Lions are cruising at the moment in 4th place.

Discussion points:
For all the talk on their forward line, the Lions across back have been super impressive. Lead by Ritch but players like McKenna & Coleman have really making some elite moves down in defence. Swans forward pressure overall has been poor this season, if we don't pick it up the Lions are going to waltz out of defence with ease and that is not going to be pretty to watch.

Our forward50 entries have been garbage, against a well organised defence its even worse. Forwards and midfield delivery to them has to improve significantly if we're to get into the game and make a go of it.

Here's hoping Rampe is better for the run last week because our backs are going to have their work cut out for them trying to keep a reign on small forwards like Cameron & don't even get me started on the thought of what Lachie Neale could do to us.

If Swans have any hope in winning this game they will have to lift considerably, and scrap their way through it.

Match Centre Link:

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming TMac isn't back, if he is, he replaces Francis.

Out: Franklin (rest), Wicks, Hayward, Clarke
In: Amartey, Buller, Parker, Stephens
Sub: HHK or Co. Warner

JMac is lucky.

Bud needs a rest given age and illness. Wicks and Clarke haven't justified their place in the team recently enough to get away with the other night. Hayward hasn't offered much recently, needs a reset, as we know that he's able to turn things around from the past.

Amartey may have been rested from reserves because we knew he was coming in next week, not worth the risk. So if he's fit enough for 60/70%, he's in. Buller I'd have given an extra week at VFL level to back it up, but he's the best option tbh. McLean has been decent, so I doubt we'd bring McAndrew in to help Hickey (although it would be earned).

Parker should play up forward a bit, but he probably won't. So it's likely Sheldrick is moved to half forward (unfortunately, since he did better than I expected with the time he got).

Stephens didn't use it well yesterday, but was hard at it, with 13 tackles. So hear me out, I'm putting him at half forward in the Clarke role. He's snagged a few opportune goals before, can get into space if we're on the attack. I was going to keep Clarke, but went one extra change, and I'm not sure I'd give a (full) debut to HHK or Rankin just yet, and think Stephens the better option.

HHK and Warner, even Rankin, probably deserve a bit of senior footy, at least out of who we have available. But HHK and Warner more versatile, so can be the sub options.

I'd also keep Warner coming in off a wing, push Campbell to half forward at least some of the time. Not having Wicks or Clarke there, means we need so roll a few players through.

Last edited:
With Lewis, Koschitzke and Meek getting 8 between them, maybe Buddy won't be rested.

Didn't watch, but as well as McCluggage, Rich also got subbed off, has had quad and calf issues already this year, the sub was for a "shin" issue.

Outs: Melican Francis
Ins: Parker McCartin or Arnold
Sub: Stephens

Lions only play 2 true tall forwards in Daniher and Hipwood. I'd be confident Mccartin and Rampe can handle both with Blakey and Fox able to play on Gunston. If Mccartin is still out, Arnold to come in. On what I have seen, he is a better player than both Melican and Francis and he has the added bonus of having trained against the Lions key forwards so it wouldn't be a complete baptism of fire.

Parker to come back in and rotate with Heeney between on ball and HF. Sheldrick to stay on ball.

As a general observation, we just need more pressure, with harder tackling and running and cleaner connection between the contest and the front half. The talent and ability is still there. Just need to finally bring it. I haven't written off the season yet.......

Outs: Melican Francis
Ins: Parker McCartin or Arnold
Sub: Stephens

Lions only play 2 true tall forwards in Daniher and Hipwood. I'd be confident Mccartin and Rampe can handle both with Blakey and Fox able to play on Gunston. If Mccartin is still out, Arnold to come in. On what I have seen, he is a better player than both Melican and Francis and he has the added bonus of having trained in the Lions key forwards so it wouldn't be a complete baptism of fire.

Parker to come back in and rotate with Heeney between on ball and HF. Sheldrick to stay on ball.

As a general observation, we just need more pressure, with harder tackling and running and cleaner connection between the contest and the front half. The talent and ability is still there. Just need to finally bring it. I haven't written off the season yet.......
Melican was solid first week back, one of our best the other night. I can understand Francis making way for McCartin, but not Melican. And Melican for Arnold off the back of one VFL game, ah no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back