Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"

CARLTON will give young defender Michael Lewis the opportunity to trial for the last spot on the club's list over the next month, as its search for key defensive depth continues.

Lewis, who turns 20 later this year, joins forward-ruck Josh Cripps and fellow defender Tyreece Lieu in auditioning for a spot on the Blues' rookie list under pre-season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP) rules.

Unless this kid is something of an Aaron Naughton clone, I hope we're sticking with Lieu, even if it leaves us a little undersized in the defensive depth chart.

The way that I read it was that Michael Lewis had already signed to play in the VFL team anyway. Sounds like he had impressed at training and as a result has been given the opportunity to trial for a spot. Good on him. I have no knowledge of him as a player but clearly he is leaving no stone unturned in his attempts to make it.
Also just quietly we should have a fairly impressive VFL team with even a fair run with injury. So far we have signed on Crocker, Cripps, Lieu, Lewis, Glass McKasker, Charlie McKay, Gill, Wooller, Maher, Cooper, Cincotta, Handley, Radovaovic, Gundry, Hirst, North from what I can see. That's 16 fairly handy players on top of those that don't get a run in the seniors.

The way that I read it was that Michael Lewis had already signed to play in the VFL team anyway. Sounds like he had impressed at training and as a result has been given the opportunity to trial for a spot. Good on him. I have no knowledge of him as a player but clearly he is leaving no stone unturned in his attempts to make it.
Also just quietly we should have a fairly impressive VFL team with even a fair run with injury. So far we have signed on Crocker, Cripps, Lieu, Lewis, Glass McKasker, Charlie McKay, Gill, Wooller, Maher, Cooper, Cincotta, Handley, Radovaovic, Gundry, Hirst, North from what I can see. That's 16 fairly handy players on top of those that don't get a run in the seniors.
Reserves players could be very important this year if the AFL follows the lead of the BBL and allows clubs access to unlisted top up players in the event a major covid outbreak at a club.

Reserves players could be very important this year if the AFL follows the lead of the BBL and allows clubs access to unlisted top up players in the event a major covid outbreak at a club.

Possibly, but whether that’s a national pool or an aligned club model is yet to be seen.
We’d want to be bolstering KPP backups, not mid-range, lightly framed talls, if it’s the latter.
Limited coverage in that department.

My interests:

Carlton: O'Brien
Collingwood: De Goey (character assessment), Moore
GWS: Sproule, Wehr
Melbourne: Daw
North: Hayden
Port: Amon
Richmond: Nyuon
Sydney: Franklin (medical), Heeney
West Coast: NicNat (medical)
Western Bulldogs: Johannisen (medical), Macrae, Martin (medical), Wallis (medical)

My interests:

Carlton: O'Brien
Collingwood: De Goey (character assessment), Moore
GWS: Sproule, Wehr
Melbourne: Daw
North: Hayden
Port: Amon
Richmond: Nyuon
Sydney: Franklin (medical), Heeney
West Coast: NicNat (medical)
Western Bulldogs: Johannisen (medical), Macrae, Martin (medical), Wallis (medical)

Darcy Gardiner

Given possible salary, main target for me would be McStay

Not interested in Nelson, but hearing he will be back in Victoria in 2023
Because we’ve overpaid Williams and McGovern and need to make sure we can pay McKay in 2 years time we probably don’t have the salary cap to go after Darcy Moore so I’d be targeting Mcstay and one of Gardner or Pearce.

Because we’ve overpaid Williams and McGovern and need to make sure we can pay McKay in 2 years time we probably don’t have the salary cap to go after Darcy Moore so I’d be targeting Mcstay and one of Gardner or Pearce.

Only concern there is with Pearce who is very injury prone

McStay can play both ends

It would be fascinating to know the loading of some of our larger contracts. It is public knowledge Martin was very heavily front loaded, but the others to my knowledge have been kept quiet.

The acquisition of both Williams and Saad on long term large contracts in the same year is the stuff of nightmares. Both are quality players, but also largely similar with their strengths largely as rebounding types. They were added to Docherty an All-Australian, not too dissimilar and then we have Newman under roughly the same classification. None are pure lockdown types, all can, but prefer not to. We have a youngster in Stocker who may be destined for a defensive role, with a midfield brigade full of quality now and having seemingly quality youngsters developing. Clearly Stocker as that bloke who bee lines the pill and distributes exceptionally off half back has positives, but where does he sit with the other mature boys?

Then we have good reviews of Boyd as a more genuine lock down type with quality disposal putting his hand up. Where does Plowman sit? Probably best served in a lockdown role on mediums and small, but I have already named six “best 22” medium/small defensive players plus a possible addition.

Weitering stands alone as a tall pillar, with seemingly McDonald and Young fighting out for a second key spot. But what of the McGovern move to defence? Sometimes third tall incumbent Plowman, hopefully returning Marchbank and young gun Kemp who while he can play smaller, has been mentioned in dispatches as growing to KPP height of 195cm.

If fitness allowed, I would be intrigued to see a Weitering, Marchbank and developing Kemp combination, with perhaps Young playing as a second ruck, tending to provide coverage if we have a 200 plus cm athletic key forward creates the need. We have so many options. Fascinating to see what we play.

I am not really in favour or signing another large ticket item mature key defender as we sit. The draft is our friend with the options already presenting, grab a kid if we are underwhelmed by OMac and Youngy. McDonald and Young may not be stars, but are adequate types. Kemp is earmarked as a defender and may just be a key(Rance was 194cm) Undersized Marchbank if he comes solid is a quality defender/rebounder. Let’s see how our raw NGA boy Akuei develops through the year. Ultra athletic, like Kemp is rumoured to be now in the 195cm range. I am thinking our need to grab for a mature defender will be driven by the development of our youngsters and the availability of Marchbank.

Expecting we are going to lose some quality midfield types from lack of opportunity, let’s maximise what we have and not overcommit too early. Let the boys develop before we shut the door on them. Even if they “love the club” we are not keeping all of Stocker, Dow, Setterfield, Carroll, Philp, Cuningham, even Bam Bam or Fish if they are not getting games.

It is time to stop coveting players from other sides and develop our own properly. We have the coaching group to do it now and more than enough trade ins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be fascinating to know the loading of some of our larger contracts. It is public knowledge Martin was very heavily front loaded, but the others to my knowledge have been kept quiet.

The acquisition of both Williams and Saad on long term large contracts in the same year is the stuff of nightmares. Both are quality players, but also largely similar with their strengths largely as rebounding types. They were added to Docherty an All-Australian, not too dissimilar and then we have Newman under roughly the same classification. None are pure lockdown types, all can, but prefer not to. We have a youngster in Stocker who may be destined for a defensive role, with a midfield brigade full of quality now and having seemingly quality youngsters developing. Clearly Stocker as that bloke who bee lines the pill and distributes exceptionally off half back has positives, but where does he sit with the other mature boys?

Then we have good reviews of Boyd as a more genuine lock down type with quality disposal putting his hand up. Where does Plowman sit? Probably best served in a lockdown role on mediums and small, but I have already named six “best 22” medium/small defensive players plus a possible addition.

Weitering stands alone as a tall pillar, with seemingly McDonald and Young fighting out for a second key spot. But what of the McGovern move to defence? Sometimes third tall incumbent Plowman, hopefully returning Marchbank and young gun Kemp who while he can play smaller, has been mentioned in dispatches as growing to KPP height of 195cm.

If fitness allowed, I would be intrigued to see a Weitering, Marchbank and developing Kemp combination, with perhaps Young playing as a second ruck, tending to provide coverage if we have a 200 plus cm athletic key forward creates the need. We have so many options. Fascinating to see what we play.

I am not really in favour or signing another large ticket item mature key defender as we sit. The draft is our friend with the options already presenting, grab a kid if we are underwhelmed by OMac and Youngy. McDonald and Young may not be stars, but are adequate types. Kemp is earmarked as a defender and may just be a key(Rance was 194cm) Undersized Marchbank if he comes solid is a quality defender/rebounder. Let’s see how our raw NGA boy Akuei develops through the year. Ultra athletic, like Kemp is rumoured to be now in the 195cm range. I am thinking our need to grab for a mature defender will be driven by the development of our youngsters and the availability of Marchbank.

Expecting we are going to lose some quality midfield types from lack of opportunity, let’s maximise what we have and not overcommit too early. Let the boys develop before we shut the door on them. Even if they “love the club” we are not keeping all of Stocker, Dow, Setterfield, Carroll, Philp, Cuningham, even Bam Bam or Fish if they are not getting games.

It is time to stop coveting players from other sides and develop our own properly. We have the coaching group to do it now and more than enough trade ins.
I totally agree that we need to build from within through drafting and development but I think the issue is right now we are seriously short of key position players.

I also think it’s dangerous to get players playing out of position to cover gaps especially when its asking undersized utilities to cover as key position players.

I totally agree that we need to build from within through drafting and development but I think the issue is right now we are seriously short of key position players.

I also think it’s dangerous to get players playing out of position to cover gaps especially when its asking undersized utilities to cover as key position players.
Not sure I agree with this. Certainly we ideally need McDonald or Young to step up and own a KPP. This would free Weiters up to play a slightly less accountable role. I made no mention of players playing out of position to cover gaps. Kemp is a tall defender (reported to be up to 195cm) he is mobile and his body work is excellent for a relatively slight youngster. I see no problem with him groomed as the second tall, particularly if we can get Marchbank up and running. Touted as a supreme KPD prospect as a youngster, Marchy is undersized to go one on one with the big boppers, but if/when fit would be a weapon as a third tall/interceptor providing great comfort to the keys. Make no mistake, we will be a different unit this season. Expect a level of defensive pressure from the midfield we could only dream of previously. Will not be JW and Jonesy playing one out against a barrage of quality delivery. Team defence works around the league.

With Charlie fit it could be argued we have the most potent key forward pairing in the competition. We don’t need the Teague model of both Crippa and the rucks pushing forward to fill up space as marking targets. We need that tall playing a kick behind the play as a chop off interceptor, assisting the defenders.

When assessing our “lack” of key position players, we need to assess the age of our list. Barring injury, there is only one vacant key position spot for perhaps seven years. We predominantly need decent back ups and players who can do a role if required. We do need a big bopper developing up forward in the reserves to provide a structure for the development team. This is why I am hoping the selection panel see enough in young Josh Cripps to be that player. Many supporters want all of our recruits to be stars. I see a forward/ruck type who can compete solidly in the twos and MAYBE develop in to a top 22 player in a few years as the requirement for our SSP selection. The fact that we have added another 19yo “key” defender to the mix alongside Leui also suggests to me that we are happy to explore a more mobile “undersized” defence set up. This is another reason I consider Kemp as a key prospect.

McKay and Curnow are our key forwards. OMac and Young have both spent time as key forwards. TDK also has some credentials as a key forward if required and we have both JSOS and McGovern, even Kennedy who can operate as tall targets. We are covered in the top team, but do need that big body in the reserves (Glass-McCasker as an option helps).

This board remains disrespectful of McDonald as a key defender. He could be an excellent foil for Weiters if required. I have more hope for the height and athleticism of Young filling the role long term, but he has to get the mind set of an accountable defender to command a spot. We have plenty of quality interceptors, that is not the role he was recruited for. Kemp is the next big thing and has been deployed in defence, mobile enough to play as a flanker, but clearly third tall or key position is what he is groomed as. The McGovern experiment has me perplexed. Kemp’s development is a higher priority than finding a role for the underwhelming, overpaid Gov. Plowman has claims as third tall as well as stopper. A fit Marchbank is on another level. The club likes the combativeness of Parks, but I find it hard to see him push the others out. Then we have Akuei athletic NGA prospect, listed 192 but reported 195cm and athletic enough to be played as an undersized ruck. Long term prospect, but certainly another key defensive option down the track.

I have confidence that OMac will be adequate if we want a traditional KPD, and am hopeful we can turn Young in to something even better. A study of defences around the league in recent times finds plenty of seemingly undersized units Port Adelaide, Western Bulldogs, Geelong at times, Sydney and Gold Coast come readily to mind. They rely on structure and ground wide defensive pressure and can be very effective.

Like many, I would love to draft a 196cm plus key defensive “gun” at the end of the season (along with a quality distributing winger - right footer preferably) We have too many quality young players to appease financially to be paying decent coin for established key defenders. We invested in Young for that. (As I have mentioned in the past TDK is another key defensive conversion possibility if Pitto and big Mirkov come on). Embrace the draft. Our list dynamic has us oversubscribed for young mids following the acquisition of Cerra and Hewett. We are list full on HBF’s and now have some decent developing small/medium forwards to assess.

I can’t understand why so many posters are negative on the list. We need a couple to step up, but I am confident they will (with a couple of exceptions).

Not sure I agree with this. Certainly we ideally need McDonald or Young to step up and own a KPP. This would free Weiters up to play a slightly less accountable role. I made no mention of players playing out of position to cover gaps. Kemp is a tall defender (reported to be up to 195cm) he is mobile and his body work is excellent for a relatively slight youngster. I see no problem with him groomed as the second tall, particularly if we can get Marchbank up and running. Touted as a supreme KPD prospect as a youngster, Marchy is undersized to go one on one with the big boppers, but if/when fit would be a weapon as a third tall/interceptor providing great comfort to the keys. Make no mistake, we will be a different unit this season. Expect a level of defensive pressure from the midfield we could only dream of previously. Will not be JW and Jonesy playing one out against a barrage of quality delivery. Team defence works around the league.

With Charlie fit it could be argued we have the most potent key forward pairing in the competition. We don’t need the Teague model of both Crippa and the rucks pushing forward to fill up space as marking targets. We need that tall playing a kick behind the play as a chop off interceptor, assisting the defenders.

When assessing our “lack” of key position players, we need to assess the age of our list. Barring injury, there is only one vacant key position spot for perhaps seven years. We predominantly need decent back ups and players who can do a role if required. We do need a big bopper developing up forward in the reserves to provide a structure for the development team. This is why I am hoping the selection panel see enough in young Josh Cripps to be that player. Many supporters want all of our recruits to be stars. I see a forward/ruck type who can compete solidly in the twos and MAYBE develop in to a top 22 player in a few years as the requirement for our SSP selection. The fact that we have added another 19yo “key” defender to the mix alongside Leui also suggests to me that we are happy to explore a more mobile “undersized” defence set up. This is another reason I consider Kemp as a key prospect.

McKay and Curnow are our key forwards. OMac and Young have both spent time as key forwards. TDK also has some credentials as a key forward if required and we have both JSOS and McGovern, even Kennedy who can operate as tall targets. We are covered in the top team, but do need that big body in the reserves (Glass-McCasker as an option helps).

This board remains disrespectful of McDonald as a key defender. He could be an excellent foil for Weiters if required. I have more hope for the height and athleticism of Young filling the role long term, but he has to get the mind set of an accountable defender to command a spot. We have plenty of quality interceptors, that is not the role he was recruited for. Kemp is the next big thing and has been deployed in defence, mobile enough to play as a flanker, but clearly third tall or key position is what he is groomed as. The McGovern experiment has me perplexed. Kemp’s development is a higher priority than finding a role for the underwhelming, overpaid Gov. Plowman has claims as third tall as well as stopper. A fit Marchbank is on another level. The club likes the combativeness of Parks, but I find it hard to see him push the others out. Then we have Akuei athletic NGA prospect, listed 192 but reported 195cm and athletic enough to be played as an undersized ruck. Long term prospect, but certainly another key defensive option down the track.

I have confidence that OMac will be adequate if we want a traditional KPD, and am hopeful we can turn Young in to something even better. A study of defences around the league in recent times finds plenty of seemingly undersized units Port Adelaide, Western Bulldogs, Geelong at times, Sydney and Gold Coast come readily to mind. They rely on structure and ground wide defensive pressure and can be very effective.

Like many, I would love to draft a 196cm plus key defensive “gun” at the end of the season (along with a quality distributing winger - right footer preferably) We have too many quality young players to appease financially to be paying decent coin for established key defenders. We invested in Young for that. (As I have mentioned in the past TDK is another key defensive conversion possibility if Pitto and big Mirkov come on). Embrace the draft. Our list dynamic has us oversubscribed for young mids following the acquisition of Cerra and Hewett. We are list full on HBF’s and now have some decent developing small/medium forwards to assess.

I can’t understand why so many posters are negative on the list. We need a couple to step up, but I am confident they will (with a couple of exceptions).
Good post although I’m not sure about TDK being a KPD option ever nor are Gov and Marchy.
I’m not negative on the list and I think we can make the 8 if we get a bit of luck. I’d just prefer we had another KPP depth type on the list as cover so we don’t have a situation like last season when we had nobody to play forward against North. When compared to the number of midfielders and half back flankers on our list (and KPPs on other lists) it feels like the list is a bit unbalanced. I’m not suggesting they have to be a star as I know it’s impossible to manage the cap so it would be a versatile low cost backup who can cover preferably at both ends.

Unless Lewis is something of an Aaron Naughton clone, I hope we're sticking with Lieu

He seems to have cloned Naughton's hairdo.

Now just all the amazing footballer-y stuff to go...

Anyone know what Josh Schache's contract status is ? This is a big call, but he could be a very capable Liam Jones replacement, he had a very impressive finals series.

I knew a family member of his very well, there is genuine reasons why he has struggled for much of his young career so far.

He probably wouldn't cost much in a trade (if out of contract) and his performance in the Prelim Final makes me believe he can really become a valuable defensive asset.

Anyone know what Josh Schache's contract status is ? This is a big call, but he could be a very capable Liam Jones replacement, he had a very impressive finals series.

I knew a family member of his very well, there is genuine reasons why he has struggled for much of his young career so far.

He probably wouldn't cost much in a trade (if out of contract) and his performance in the Prelim Final makes me believe he can really become a valuable defensive asset.
Contract ends end of 2022 and he is not a free agent. Personally aren't a big fan of him, but he does seem like the type of player SOS would've recruited to the club.

Contract ends end of 2022 and he is not a free agent. Personally aren't a big fan of him, but he does seem like the type of player SOS would've recruited to the club.

It's a no brainer for me if we could get him for say a third round draft pick

His footy journey is actually similar to Jones in many ways.

Reckon he is the perfect fit for our list profile.

Schache hasn't impressed me at all, in saying that any tall athletic forward is always worth trying in defence before being given up on IMO. Haven't watched him closely enough to say whether he has the tools to be a defender though so not sure on that one.

I think if we get to the end of next season and realise we need a tall defender, recruiting a failed forward to try should not be out of the question. There are a few tall formally highly rated young forwards getting around who are struggling to get a game. sam weideman is another although he will probably step up this year.

I would say pass on Josh Schache.

Not quite sure what you mean here... Schache didn't play back in the Prelim (nor has he ever at AFL level as far as I know?).

Are you thinking of a different player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back