List management and the end of the 2012 season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Help a simple man out.. why would we delist Lower when he was contracted, only to pick him back up straight onto the main list? Surely he is heading to the rookie list?

Kariaaatun must be rookie bound though

Help a simple man out.. why would we delist Lower when he was contracted, only to pick him back up straight onto the main list? Surely he is heading to the rookie list?

Kariaaatun must be rookie bound though
We needed someone to delist before the list lodgement on November 15 to ensure we had 3 picks. Jack was non-contactable and McPhee was definitely playing. As such, say to Lower and Crichton (2 players who wont have other interest) to voluntarily be removed from the list with an understanding they will be re-instated as soon as JA is dumped.

Makes perfect sense now i guess.. thanks :thumbsu:

Having said that, its a bit amateurish isnt it, especially the JA aspect of it

We needed someone to delist before the list lodgement on November 15 to ensure we had 3 picks. Jack was non-contactable and McPhee was definitely playing. As such, say to Lower and Crichton (2 players who wont have other interest) to voluntarily be removed from the list with an understanding they will be re-instated as soon as JA is dumped.

not sure about the non contactable bit. More likely delay was caused by argy bargy working out the financial details of Jack's departure. Agree with the earlier poster about unlikelihood of Nick Lower being redrafted back onto the main list. Maybe he'll get another offer from elsewhere, but doubt a guy delisted by two clubs will be in extreme demand. Still, one never knows. Good luck to him. He played some decent games in the purple.

not sure about the non contactable bit. More likely delay was caused by argy bargy working out the financial details of Jack's departure. Agree with the earlier poster about unlikelihood of Nick Lower being redrafted back onto the main list. Maybe he'll get another offer from elsewhere, but doubt a guy delisted by two clubs will be in extreme demand. Still, one never knows. Good luck to him. He played some decent games in the purple.
I thought it had been reported that he was OS on holidays.
I think with a commitment to take him and continue to pay him, he wouldn't even send the feelers out.

At highly as I rate Lower, how many clubs would go after a player who's been delisted from two clubs and only played three games last year. I hope he gets back on our main list.

Makes perfect sense now i guess.. thanks :thumbsu:

Having said that, its a bit amateurish isnt it, especially the JA aspect of it

Our whole trade/FA period to date has been amateurish. We'll need lots of work and luck in the ND/PSD etc to even get our list back to where it was at the end of the season, let alone improve it for next year

You said list at the end of the year. McPhee is the only player that played at the end of the year of the players you mentioned. Compared to West Coast (only because they finished about where we did) we have gained a classy midfielder and we have 3 ND picks in the first 2 rounds. West Coast have gained a classy midfielder and their first national draft pick is a third rounder.

Edit - but I would hate for any facts to get in the way of your whining like a school girl.

Our whole trade/FA period to date has been amateurish. We'll need lots of work and luck in the ND/PSD etc to even get our list back to where it was at the end of the season, let alone improve it for next year
I cant agree with you at all.They are working to a plan and we have discarded those that dont fit the plan.we have super young,enthusiastic, tough players coming through.The only player I am sorry to lose is Broughton but I guess Ross wanted him to be more of an attacking defender and he was lacking a bit of pace and couldnt break lines.

You said list at the end of the year. McPhee is the only player that played at the end of the year of the players you mentioned. Compared to West Coast (only because they finished about where we did) we have gained a classy midfielder and we have 3 ND picks in the first 2 rounds. West Coast have gained a classy midfielder and their first national draft pick is a third rounder.

Edit - but I would hate for any facts to get in the way of your whining like a school girl.

No, what I said was that from the end of the season to now our list is worse. LIST

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cant agree with you at all.They are working to a plan and we have discarded those that dont fit the plan.we have super young,enthusiastic, tough players coming through.The only player I am sorry to lose is Broughton but I guess Ross wanted him to be more of an attacking defender and he was lacking a bit of pace and couldnt break lines.

Well I think we'll have to disagree that this off season was planned.

It can be hard to plan when a certain bloke has a penchant for walking out on clubs unannounced.
McPhee did the same shit to us, almost carbon copy.

You're right, our list management group and their strategy in this trade period is best in the AFL, derailed only by about half a dozen strokes of misfortune. Anyone that says otherwise is a whining drama queen

No, what I said was that from the end of the season to now our list is worse. LIST

Sorry, it's a no from me.
Our list looks significantly stronger and even moreso after tonight......
Broughton and Roberton contributed very little to our 2012 season.
Mcphee while being a strong contributor last year is not a major setback .
Danyle Pearce coming to Freo is a major coup and more than offsets the three departures mentioned.
This is a very strong draft and we have three picks which should give us the KPP for the future.

We have never had a better list than we have now....never ; we just need to remove the sentiment.

Sorry, it's a no from me.
Our list looks significantly stronger and even moreso after tonight......
Broughton and Roberton contributed very little to our 2012 season.
Mcphee while being a strong contributor last year is not a major setback .
Danyle Pearce coming to Freo is a major coup and more than offsets the three departures mentioned.
This is a very strong draft and we have three picks which should give us the KPP for the future.

We have never had a better list than we have now....never ; we just need to remove the sentiment.

wow... i just cant see how anyone could think that our list looks significantly stronger. Both Mcphee and Broughton were best 22, mcphee coming off one of his best ever season, was unbelievable this year, not to mention the fact that we have lost a couple of very solid depth players in lower and roberton. There is absolutely no garauntee that who we draft today will make it... i remember that year we recruited toby stribling, jack juniper and greg edgecombe.......

i remember that year we recruited toby stribling, jack juniper and greg edgecombe.......

Geebus KPR - they were all drafted with pick 55+, same sorts of picks that netted us Walters, Neale, Clancee, de Boer, Sutcliffe... even Sandi and MJ if you want to go back a bit. Way to go about being selectively negative to prove a point. But the three you mentioned (and Sandi and MJ) were picked by a different recruiting team than what we have now.

Three picks inside the top 40 are way more likely to show something than a whole bunch of picks at 55+, yet out recruiters have managed to find some gems late in the draft, so let's back them in to find something decent in the early rounds too.

Geebus KPR - they were all drafted with pick 55+, same sorts of picks that netted us Walters, Neale, Clancee, de Boer, Sutcliffe... even Sandi and MJ if you want to go back a bit. Way to go about being selectively negative to prove a point. But the three you mentioned (and Sandi and MJ) were picked by a different recruiting team than what we have now.

Three picks inside the top 40 are way more likely to show something than a whole bunch of picks at 55+, yet out recruiters have managed to find some gems late in the draft, so let's back them in to find something decent in the early rounds too.

KPR has tunnel vision,tries to load all of our past drafting cockups on Bond and Lloyd but skips over the facts that the club is in the best situation in our history with the current management managing to snaffle the best coaching panel in the game to go with ,the help of the previous list manager, the best list we have ever had and the best chance of, according to all the good judges a 2013 top 4 finish .Its hard to figure the negativity of some on this board

This is the best 25 we have ever had but our list is in serious trouble in two years. It might be nice to have the fastest car on the strip, but when that car is going nowhere but into a big brick wall it's not so flash.

I reserve the right to change my opinion on that based on the next 24 hours.

.Its hard to figure the negativity of some on this board

I think it's possible to agree that our club is in good shape and that our drafting has been good with more hits than misses over the last 5 years, but also say that in trade period we have gone backwards (which needs to be redeemed in the ND/PSD). There is a bit too much absolutism here, posters should be able to have high expectations and point out inadequacies without being labelled naysayers

I think it's possible to agree that our club is in good shape and that our drafting has been good with more hits than misses over the last 5 years, but also say that in trade period we have gone backwards (which needs to be redeemed in the ND/PSD). There is a bit too much absolutism here, posters should be able to have high expectations and point out inadequacies without being labelled naysayers
Question -
If they'd known the whole (McPhee) picture from the outset, and delisted him & Anthony, and they now go on and re-list Lower and/or Crichton (whichever they want) - and take the 3 picks you have, and do reasonably well - would you feel the same way???

If, at the end of the day, you lose a 30yo McPhee, a duddy Anthony, and gain Pearce + 3 good kids, I think you've had a decent off-season.

Remove this Banner Ad

List management and the end of the 2012 season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back