List Management - Trading and Delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We would be absolutely insane to pass on Stringer at 5/6. The history of the draft shows that even in good years 5 of the 10 will not add up to much. 1/10 won't even play a senior game. Stringer has so many strings to his bow that at the minimum he will make a decent player. The gamble is that he won't achieve his full potential. Thus it is no gamble at all.

Wines, O'Rourke, Mayes also have huge question marks about them. O'Rourke has been injury prone. Wines kicking is suspect. Mayes does like body contact. Truth is only of 1 of these three is likely to be quality at AFL and perhaps none of them.

Stringer on the other hand was touted as a number 1 pick but for his leg. Number 1 picks have a much greater success percentage. His attitude and determination is first rate.

For GWS and the quality available with Whitfield, Toumpas and Grundy, Stringer is an unnecessary risk. For Melbourne, Stringer will be in their thoughts but Wines will beckon because of the need for inside mids and the Viney relationship. For us with both picks 5 and 6 Stringer is a no brainer. If we pass Port will jump on him.

Stringer on the other hand was touted as a number 1 pick but for his leg. Number 1 picks have a much greater success percentage. His attitude and determination is first rate.

For GWS and the quality available with Whitfield, Toumpas and Grundy, Stringer is an unnecessary risk. For Melbourne, Stringer will be in their thoughts but Wines will beckon because of the need for inside mids and the Viney relationship. For us with both picks 5 and 6 Stringer is a no brainer. If we pass Port will jump on him.

You certainly make a very good case, wouldn't be suprised at all if GWS take a risk on him to; which would most likely mean Grundy would sleep

I truly dont believe the Doggies will take the chance with Stringer(not at the picks you guys have #5+#6)

The doggies will go for 2 of- Wines, O'Rourke, Mayes, Plowman , MaCrae
1.Whitfield
2.Grundy/Toumpas
3.Toumpas/Grundy
4.Wines
5.MaCrae
6.Plowman
7.Mayes
8.Shaw
9.O'Rourke
10.Daniher

You certainly make a very good case, wouldn't be suprised at all if GWS take a risk on him to; which would most likely mean Grundy would sleep
Is that an indicator that you need to get some sleep? :p

I want us to take whoever is left out of o'rourke and wines. I want another gun on-baller. Assuming toumpas doesn't slide of course.

Pick 6 would then be determined by pick 5. If we take wines, I'd want Mayes. We need to get some genuine class from 5 and 6 and Mayes provides that.

If o'rourke slides, I'd be happier taking a punt on stringer. O'rourke provides the class.

I'm not really into plowman and macrae to be honest.

I'd be disappointed if we took Stewart at 22 aswell. Pies didn't even want him at all, let alone at pick 22!

If no one drafts Stewart the pies then get the the chance to farther son rookie list him it was a new rule that came out this year.

Pick 1-Whitfield
Pick 2-Toumpas
Pick 3-Grundy
Pick 4-Wines
Pick 5-O'rouke
Pick 6-Macrae/Mayes

Didn't Macca say we might take Plowman and change him into a mid ir fwd? U don't use pick 6 to do those types of experiments. Stringer broke his leg really badly and I can't take the risk.

Pick 1-Whitfield
Pick 2-Toumpas
Pick 3-Grundy
Pick 4-Wines
Pick 5-O'rouke
Pick 6-Macrae/Mayes

Didn't Macca say we might take Plowman and change him into a mid ir fwd? U don't use pick 6 to do those types of experiments. Stringer broke his leg really badly and I can't take the risk.
Most players are reinvented many times during their careers. Even guns. Carlton turned a number 1 pick into a tagger :D

Pick 1-Whitfield
Pick 2-Toumpas
Pick 3-Grundy
Pick 4-Wines
Pick 5-O'rouke
Pick 6-Macrae/Mayes

id take stringer with 6 in a heartbeat

or push for a trade like 2,12 and anderson for picks 5 and 6, said it before if we can turn 5 and 6 into Toumpas Stringer and Anderson that would be a massive win for us

Stringer broke his leg really badly and I can't take the risk.
Yeah, when Michael Voss broke his leg as a 19 year old his career was finished :rolleyes:

I still shake my head whenever I see the #6 next to Tom Williams' name.

On another note - who the **** is James Walker?!

I'd like to consider myself across most thing AFL - but I've never heard of this bloke.

I went to high school with him in Ballarat. Pretty nice bloke really (at least he was back then), he was in year 12, and would let us year 8s kick the footy with him and his mates.

Ecked out a decent career for the Dockers, but don't think he ever hit any great heights...

Chad Wingard would go alright, kinda sucks how we got pick 17 last year when we coulda had 6.

I reckon Wingard might end up being the best of the '11 crop. Really impressed with his 'rookie year,' and has a lot of upside.

For me, there is absolutely no doubt we should take Stringer with 5. With pick 6 I will be happy with O'Rourke, Plowman, Mayes, or Wines... in that order.

Yeah, when Michael Voss broke his leg as a 19 year old his career was finished :rolleyes:

Unfair comparison for Stringer.... So despite breaking his leg as a junior, Stringer is now going to win a brownlow and captain us to 3 premierships?

We need to be realistic...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfair comparison for Stringer.... So despite breaking his leg as a junior, Stringer is now going to win a brownlow and captain us to 3 premierships?

You've completely missed the point.

If a kid breaks his leg as a junior, it doesn't automatically mean his career is over. There are examples where a player has had a compound fracture as a young player and returned from injury to complete a full career - the Nathan Brown, late career breaks are far more of an impediment.

The club will do full due dilligence on assessing the risk, but generally these issues are overcome with time. Given he has had a number of 20+ possession games at VFL level, Stringer seems like he has overcome the worst of his rehabilitation.

yes but he was touted as a pick 1, he is still young enough to regain his fitness and could end up being player from this draft, worth the risk imo

You've completely missed the point.

If a kid breaks his leg as a junior, it doesn't automatically mean his career is over. There are examples where a player has had a compound fracture as a young player and returned from injury to complete a full career - the Nathan Brown, late career breaks are far more of an impediment.

The club will do full due dilligence on assessing the risk, but generally these issues are overcome with time. Given he has had a number of 20+ possession games at VFL level, Stringer seems like he has overcome the worst of his rehabilitation.

Kelvin Lay didn't say that... He said not to risk #5 or #6 on Stringer. And I tend to agree there is too great a risk with picks that low.

If we only had one pick in the draft at #5, with our next pick being in the 40s. Would you still advocate taking Stringer?

I believe that is the mindset we should be taking with all of our 1st round picks, assume it is the only pick we have and make each and every one of them count.

What I ment was that taking stringer is a big risk. We don't wanna stuff up again in the draft, especially the great amount of talent this year. If we had a pick around 10-15 then we'll take him but we're talking picks 5 and 6!

Didn't Macca say we might take Plowman and change him into a mid ir fwd? U don't use pick 6 to do those types of experiments.
JMac or BMac? I haven't heard either of them say that. Just a rumour on here that said we were interested in him.

Just to add something else, I've noticed a lot of people worried about Stringers leg. Why aren't people as worried about O'Rourke's hamstring?? Soft tissue is one of the most common recurring injuries in sport, what would everyone think if he gets an AFL workload & tweaks the same hamstring that was badly injured??

I've mentioned about Joel Selwood's knee, and clubs opted to not pick him so Geelong did, who's looked back since then out of that one? All the armchair doctors can say he may never fully recover, I'll just trust our medical staff who would have looked into it plenty of times. I'm just really hoping it won't be one of those situations we take someone else, Stringer goes a pick or two later and has 10x the career. He's the type of player we need, that's why I think we should pick him.

On another note. I heard an official from Essendon on SEN this morning say that Gumbleton turned down a 'Big' contract offer from the Bulldogs to stay at the dons.

We can't even pay people money to come and play for us at the moment.

I really doubt we offered a 'big' contract. They're trying to make themselves look better thanks to Gumbleton picking to stay with them.

Would have thought Stevens for pick 51 was a pretty straight forward deal, it's tuesday and still no word. Could West Coast still be holding out for pick 44, or are the dogs maybe trying to get some other deals done (possibly brown or post as has been mentioned)

Kelvin Lay didn't say that... He said not to risk #5 or #6 on Stringer. And I tend to agree there is too great a risk with picks that low.
On a one-off injury?

Soft-tissue, re-occurring injuries are a far greater risk than a freak accident. We are talking about a kid who is already playing senior football.
If we assess him as the best available at pick #5, yes I'd want us to take him. He's anecdotally the no 1 player in the draft, slipping lower due to concerns over an injury which, in all likelyhood, wont re-occur. It's like handing us an opportunity that we need to assess, not dismiss out of hand via some vague notion of risk that has not been replicated in young players who have had similar injuries at a similar stage of their career.
If you were arguing Menzel I'd be inclined to agree, but Stringer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back