List Management - Trading and Delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to add something else, I've noticed a lot of people worried about Stringers leg. Why aren't people as worried about O'Rourke's hamstring?? Soft tissue is one of the most common recurring injuries in sport, what would everyone think if he gets an AFL workload & tweaks the same hamstring that was badly injured??

I've mentioned about Joel Selwood's knee, and clubs opted to not pick him so Geelong did, who's looked back since then out of that one? All the armchair doctors can say he may never fully recover, I'll just trust our medical staff who would have looked into it plenty of times. I'm just really hoping it won't be one of those situations we take someone else, Stringer goes a pick or two later and has 10x the career. He's the type of player we need, that's why I think we should pick him.
Don't forget Plowman's elbow :thumbsu:
Both his and O'Rourke's injuries have more chance of re-occurring, but nothing is said about them.

Would have thought Stevens for pick 51 was a pretty straight forward deal, it's tuesday and still no word. Could West Coast still be holding out for pick 44, or are the dogs maybe trying to get some other deals done (possibly brown or post as has been mentioned)
I imagine both clubs are in a meeting room in some sort of Mexican stand off.

West Coast are still dealing with St Kilda bugging them about Brown, even though they've said no, as well as the Cripps deal. So they're a bit busier than us.

Just to add something else, I've noticed a lot of people worried about Stringers leg. Why aren't people as worried about O'Rourke's hamstring?? Soft tissue is one of the most common recurring injuries in sport, what would everyone think if he gets an AFL workload & tweaks the same hamstring that was badly injured??

I've mentioned about Joel Selwood's knee, and clubs opted to not pick him so Geelong did, who's looked back since then out of that one? All the armchair doctors can say he may never fully recover, I'll just trust our medical staff who would have looked into it plenty of times. I'm just really hoping it won't be one of those situations we take someone else, Stringer goes a pick or two later and has 10x the career. He's the type of player we need, that's why I think we should pick him.

Stringer's athleticism is the concern.

Far too many posters seem to think that if you have pick 5 and 6 and simply choose the most highly rated and not take a chance on players with known injuries - voila! presto you get 2 x great players.

This is complete nonsense. There is simply no guarantee on any of them - injuries or not.

Even Whitfield and Toumpas who look great playing against kids simply may not be good enough at the elite level - injuries or not. There is equally nothing outstanding about Wines, Mayes, O'Rourke; All of them are likely to struggle with the speed and opposition at the elite level and for what it is worth they appear to me no better than a Liber/wallis/Smith/Hunter. Of all the highly touted Grundy who actually looks the most likely; he aboslutely monsters his opponents at the under 18 level.

Others, like Jaksch and Shaw are more interesting propositions - both look like they have x factor, are still growing into their bodies and could take the game apart. There is an obsession with smaller mid-fielders because they grow into their bodies earlier so they star at junior level - leaving recruiters looking silly when other less fancied players surpass them.

Like Martin and Hogan, Stringer is a stand-out. Do not be surprised he is gone before our pick 5.

Please... Please... Can we take Jake Stringer...

He in my opinion is one of the few players in this draft that has star quality... It will make me forget about Callan Ward...

Stringer seems like a Macca type.. Big and Strong....

Please...

Just take him...

Far too many posters seem to think that if you have pick 5 and 6 and simply choose the most highly rated and not take a chance on players with known injuries - voila! presto you get 2 x great players.

This is complete nonsense. There is simply no guarantee on any of them - injuries or not.

Even Whitfield and Toumpas who look great playing against kids simply may not be good enough at the elite level - injuries or not. There is equally nothing outstanding about Wines, Mayes, O'Rourke; All of them are likely to struggle with the speed and opposition at the elite level and for what it is worth they appear to me no better than a Liber/wallis/Smith/Hunter. Of all the highly touted Grundy who actually looks the most likely; he aboslutely monsters his opponents at the under 18 level.

Others, like Jaksch and Shaw are more interesting propositions - both look like they have x factor, are still growing into their bodies and could take the game apart. There is an obsession with smaller mid-fielders because they grow into their bodies earlier so they star at junior level - leaving recruiters looking silly when other less fancied players surpass them.

Like Martin and Hogan, Stringer is a stand-out. Do not be surprised he is gone before our pick 5.

This is a very good post, you only have to go back and read predraft write ups of future "stars in the making" like Farren Ray, Raph Clarke, Kane Tennace etc etc the list goes on.

Ray;
The dynamic inside midfielder has already been likened to a young Simon Black, while there are similarities to the great Robert Flower with his creativity and ability to elude opponents in the air or on the ground. A member of the AIS/AFL academy in 2003, Ray was All-Australian and named Western Australia’s most valuable player after this year’s National AFL under 18 championships. He also had an outstanding National AFL Draft camp, where he recorded the best beep time of 15.03, while he was in the top 10 per cent for the 3-km time-trial. He should develop into something special at AFL level.

Tennace;
he has the uncanny ability to break away from pack situations. A high possession winner, Tenace won Murray’s best and fairest award and was named All-Australian after representing Vic Country in the National AFL under 18 championships in 2003. He also capped off a fine year at the National AFL Draft camp, where he was ranked in the top 10 per cent for the 20-metre sprint

Clarke;
Clarke is a classy outside forward/midfielder, who has the ability to win a game off his own boot. He rarely gets beaten in one-on-one contests and possesses a good aerobic capacity. He represented the Northern Territory in the 2001-02-03 National AFL under 18
8 championships and would have been a certainty to be selected in last year’s National AFL Draft had he been eligible

Some people seem to think that there is no risk with some of these players but reality is half the top ten will turn out to be complete duds despite their glowing predraft writeups, there are likely only 2-3 that will be elite players and maybe 12-15 of the top 20 that make it at all at AFL level. Guys like Macrae who has looked good at under 18's due to the space he can create with his agility and sidestep are most risky as in AFL level often these types of players can't create the same space and he has shown no ball winning ability and is only average pace.

1. Whitfield 2. Grundy 3. Toumpas 4. Stringer

Unfortunately I think the boat has sailed on Stringer, the only hope is Melbourne opting Wines for his synergistic properties when coupled with Viney.
Plowman a chance as well?

1. Whitfield 2. Grundy 3. Toumpas 4. Stringer

Unfortunately I think the boat has sailed on Stringer, the only hope is Melbourne opting Wines for his synergistic properties when coupled with Viney.

Not sure about that. Considering Melbourne already have a Land of the Giants forward line (Dawes, Clark, Hogan from 2014) will they want Stringer? Not sure.

I think they'll take Wines for the exact reason you outlined above.

Not sure about that. Considering Melbourne already have a Land of the Giants forward line (Dawes, Clark, Hogan from 2014) will they want Stringer? Not sure.
A 191cm midfielder? I'd say they'll definately consider him

Also people are saying that GWS are heavily interested in O'Rourke/Wines/Plowman. You would think they would be keen on 5 + 6 for 2 + 12 + Anderson then. Gives them the opportunity to take Whitfield and Grundy at 1 + 3 and then the choice between 2 of those 3 at 5 + 6. We get Toumpas + Garlett/Stringer/Menzel + Anderson.

Jesus Christ... You've been pumping up this trade fantasy of yours for over 100 pages now. There is now three and a half days of trade week left, and GWS have confirmed all along that they will only be trading one of their top picks for star players. It's just not going to happen. GWS have shown they are not in the business of helping out its opposition. No matter how much you want this trade to happen, no matter how much you seem to be in love with the idea of getting Jed Anderson for free and losing almost nothing, it is just not going to happen. Get over it ffs.

What's with people saying we don't have quick mids? Last time i checked Dahl, Smith & Griffen aren't exactly the slowest blokes in the AFL

We don't need to be the quickest team in the league it won't guarantee us a flag so I don't know why people get so upset over pace of 17 year old kids. If they have the right attitude and are the best available pick then we should take them.

This. We actually have a really good group of young, line breaking (outside) types. Dahlhaus, JJ, Howard (people underrate his running ability, deceptively quick), Tutt, Pearce and now Hunter. That's not forgetting established players on our list such as Griffen, Wood and Cooney (fingers crossed).

The whole point of this type of player is to provide the link between the defense and midfield, and midfield and the forward line etc They are link men. You cannot have a whole team of pure link men. You require a handful of them, spread throughout different areas of the ground. Obviously having link men that can win their own ball is a bonus, which I agree we do have.

Our list has a good group of inside players and a reasonable group of outside players. What we don't have is a great group of players who do both really well. We need those in between utility types who can take key positions on the ground as well as playing in between the lines. Players like Stringer and Plowman can do both, forward or back, as well as providing a very physical element to our game style. They're players we don't have an abundance of, as well as being close to best available in this draft. Jackson Macrae is another who I think can be a 'total footballer'.

I'd be very disappointed if we overlooked them (injuries allowing). Pick 22 can be used to address that 'Lewis Jetta' type footballer that everyone seems to be crying out for. Dayle Garlett could still be available at 22 for all we know. Dean Towers could still be undrafted at 44.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a very good post, you only have to go back and read predraft write ups of future "stars in the making" like Farren Ray, Raph Clarke, Kane Tennace etc etc the list goes on.

Ray;

Tennace;

Clarke;

Some people seem to think that there is no risk with some of these players but reality is half the top ten will turn out to be complete duds despite their glowing predraft writeups, there are likely only 2-3 that will be elite players and maybe 12-15 of the top 20 that make it at all at AFL level. Guys like Macrae who has looked good at under 18's due to the space he can create with his agility and sidestep are most risky as in AFL level often these types of players can't create the same space and he has shown no ball winning ability and is only average pace.
Having been to a majority of Macrae's later games this year, i think his ball winning ability gets knocked a bit but it would surprise a lot of people. he's very composed in close. And he runs bloody hard for his own ball.

The logic of such players having great write ups and then not working out can be applied to everyone in drafting history. Shouldn't really suit an argument of Stringer or in favour of anyone. Every player's a risk. Point absorbed.
No one can know for sure about anybody. They're dealing with little pieces of information here and there.
If i was a recruiter, based on what i know, i'd avoid Stringer with pick 6 because i think there's players with as much upside and less doubt about the leg. Luckily for every body here, i don't know everything, and our recruiters might know more about how he's coming along. For this reason, i'll say, if we get Stringer with pick 6, it's a good sign, because our recruiters will obviously have been convinced that the guy will make it. There is another bleedingly obvious statement i thought i should put out there.

Having been to a majority of Macrae's later games this year, i think his ball winning ability gets knocked a bit but it would surprise a lot of people. he's very composed in close. And he runs bloody hard for his own ball.

Agree. Does a lot of unrewarded running. Runs to the right spots. Puts his head over the ball when he needs to, gets into space when he needs to. Good tackler, good user of the football. Much more complete footballer than someone like Sam Mayes, who everyone seems to be in love with here.

And i just went online to see if my opinion matches up with some stats and what do you know, Macrae's contested ball numbers in 2 of his championships games walloped those of O Rourke. In one match i think he was his teams leader for contested ball. The only time he was considerably lower than average in total touches was a game in which he played up forward and what do you know, he bagged a couple goals.
Agree with above too... Macrae's probably a more prolific tackler as well.

And i just went online to see if my opinion matches up with some stats and what do you know, Macrae's contested ball numbers in 2 of his championships games walloped those of O Rourke. In one match i think he was his teams leader for contested ball. The only time he was considerably lower than average in total touches was a game in which he played up forward and what do you know, he bagged a couple goals.
Agree with above too... Macrae's probably a more prolific tackler as well.
Exactly why I don't understand everyone's hatred of Macrae on here. He is a supreme talent and tbh I wouldn't be surprised if he was taken with pick 3 or 4.

Let's start the Macrae chants... Good to hear we're rumoured to be pretty into him. I think he's the one i want most this year.
BTW, he was BOG in his tac cup grand final, surely this translates to him being a gun. Always has in the past :D

If i was a recruiter, based on what i know, i'd avoid Stringer with pick 6 because i think there's players with as much upside and less doubt about the leg. Luckily for every body here, i don't know everything, and our recruiters might know more about how he's coming along. For this reason, i'll say, if we get Stringer with pick 6, it's a good sign, because our recruiters will obviously have been convinced that the guy will make it. There is another bleedingly obvious statement i thought i should put out there.
We would actually no more about Stringer than almost any other club in the AFL after he spent time with us last summer.

I'd really like a Plowman or Stringer type on the list - genuine big bodied utilities who use the ball well.

Would we look at Jordan Gysberts?

Looks like Melbourne want to get rid of him, his stats are below:
  • Selected at pick 11 in the 2009 draft (Christian Howard year).
  • Tall midfielder (190cm).
  • Appears to have a good inside game, and a developing outside game.
  • Got 26 touches on debut against Geelong (in 2010).
  • Averages 19 disposals per game, having played 19 games over 3 years.
  • Had a really bad run with injury in 2012, only playing in round 19 against the Gold Coast, where he got 9 touches.
  • Now on the outer at the Dees for some reason?!
Seems like a pretty interesting prospect, and a potential bargain for whoever goes after him.

Thoughts?

That Plowman chap seems to be a good one, going on what I have read. Has anyone seem him play, if so how did he go?
Keeps getting pegged as a KPD but he is an absolute gem in the midfield. Good pace, accurate kick and can win his own ball. Would be ecstatic if he ended up at the 'Dogs.

We would actually no more about Stringer than almost any other club in the AFL after he spent time with us last summer.

I'd really like a Plowman or Stringer type on the list - genuine big bodied utilities who use the ball well.
Yeah i like that idea as well. I'd rather we took Plowman with the belief that he's a genuine kpp or genuine mid though than if we want to play him as a flanker. Talk of him being that rebounding defender worries me. At 192 and a pretty solid frame and quality marking ability i'm hoping that if we do recruit him it's a Michael Hurley style recruit and not a Sam Gilbert style recruit. Will be interesting.

Would we look at Jordan Gysberts?

Looks like Melbourne want to get rid of him, his stats are below:
  • Selected at pick 11 in the 2009 draft (Christian Howard year).
  • Tall midfielder (190cm).
  • Appears to have a good inside game, and a developing outside game.
  • Got 26 touches on debut against Geelong (in 2010).
  • Averages 19 disposals per game, having played 19 games over 3 years.
  • Had a really bad run with injury in 2012, only playing in round 19 against the Gold Coast, where he got 9 touches.
  • Now on the outer at the Dees for some reason?!
Seems like a pretty interesting prospect, and a potential bargain for whoever goes after him.

Thoughts?
Melbourne would probably ask for 22, which is too high. So I can't see it happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back