Review Lobb is God! Dogs jam pussies at the Cattery

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s the most opportunity he’s had though? The blokes a mid, he’s always been a mid - I think anyone whose watched him at VFL knew he had this in him, he’s far and away the closest thing we have to Libba, why haven’t we tried this before? It’s like a lightbulb moment for Bev in the last few weeks, he’s deserving of bigger and better roles

Is he a somewhat limited player physically, sure but there’s a reason he was 2nd in the VFL league BNF in his second year
First year

Have we been crying out for Lobb in the ruck? He’s played plenty of minutes there this year and not done a lot.

He’s been good the last few weeks but that’s playing more fwd minutes. Most weeks in the ruck, although probably more handy than current English in the tap department, was still not doing a lot around the ground.

It’s easy in hindsight looking at tonight’s game, but I don’t think 20% extra ruck time for Lobb in previous games would’ve won more for us.
Lobb has been much more effective than English when he's gone to cbc's all season.

English just isn’t a number 1 ruckman. Never has been, never will be, he is a beyond excellent floating-tall and great second ruckman.

We should of always persisted with the Martin-English combo and then looked to replace Martin with either Sweet or someone else of that ilk and kept English as the fwd-ruck, instead we bowed to him bitching about lack of rucktime and went and got Lobb, whom we’re now stuck with (did an excellent job tonight playing first ruck).

I feel other clubs would have just told English to suck it up or leave if he complained about his lack of ruck time.

OK, whatever else happens this year we are now top of the ladder in which we are usually near the bottom.
What's even better is that we are guaranteed to stay on top for at least six months.

Enjoy it while it lasts!

1693063956461.png

Caton won't want to play us. They will deliberately lose to face GWS and have the home.geound advantage and to pay us back from last year.
There's a chance if Carlton let GWS win by about seven goals and Sydney also won, Carlton will still play GWS in the first week, except it will be 6th v 7th instead of 5th v 8th.

Last edited:
Chris Scott knew damn well what he was doing all week... He was delighted in his press conference with his B grade teams performance... Matching it with us for practically 3/4 of the game..

The whole thing was staged jockeying for their draft positions..And they felt sorry for us too..

Nice fairytale.They hate us - and us them.They wanted to win.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our best centre set up all night was:

Lobb, Bont, Libba & West

English was great around the ground but Lobb does not LOSE the ruck, he breaks even and follows it up as well.

Yeah, no way do I want English gone. But very open to him spending up to 40-50% of game time outside the ruck. Particularly in games where he noticeably brings his wet lettuce leaf efforts in the contest. Been saying the last two years you can still get most of what he does around the ground while playing him at half forward for stretches.

Have we been crying out for Lobb in the ruck? He’s played plenty of minutes there this year and not done a lot.

He’s been good the last few weeks but that’s playing more fwd minutes. Most weeks in the ruck, although probably more handy than current English in the tap department, was still not doing a lot around the ground.

It’s easy in hindsight looking at tonight’s game, but I don’t think 20% extra ruck time for Lobb in previous games would’ve won more for us.

The only reason we are in talking about Lobb is because English is an issue in the ruck especially in ruck contests

Conway and Stanley showed English up therefore Lobb was so good for us

Tap work of English is based on hope more than anything it’s directionless and that hampers Bont, Libba and the side.

Is Timmy the best ruck for this team how we are playing him?
He should be used in other ways to benefit the side. We seemed more dangerous when he was forward

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, no way do I want English gone. But very open to him spending up to 40-50% of game time outside the ruck. Particularly in games where he noticeably brings his wet lettuce leaf efforts in the contest. Been saying the last two years you can still get most of what he does around the ground while playing him at half forward for stretches.

This 1000 times ^^^^^^^^

When opponents get a run on against us (not just a run of goals but a period of general dominance for a quarter or more) the problems often start at the centre bounces. We have done little to change that through most of the year, apart from the routine bench rotations for English.

A lot of people have been saying we need to throw Lobb in there for longer stints when these things start to run against us. I doubt either of us is going back through all the post mortems and GDTs to check but that's certainly my recollection.

It's not a point I've been particularly hammering ... but I know others have raised it multiple times.

I know it might not always work but the benefits can be fourfold:
  1. Lobb can be a more physical presence than English who has been noticeably susceptible to big untalented palookas just running into him.
  2. It forces the opposition to change or re-consider their tactics on the fly, something we don't seem to do or appreciate enough. An opposition's pre-game strategy to neutralise English is suddenly worthless.
  3. English can suddenly be a force they weren't expecting as a marking forward as we saw tonight (2 goals) or as an intercepting defender. Either way it gives English more time to provide us the benefit of his around-the-ground strengths. That's what has put him in AA contention. Less so his tap work.
  4. A change - any change, whether in the ruck or elsewhere - is likely to have some benefits when the opposition starts running rings around us. Regardless of the technical merits of the change it has a dual psychological benefit: it challenges the comfort zone and the confidence that the opponent has got into, while giving our own players an opportunity to think differently about the game, believe that we might have some aces up our sleeve and regain a bit of the confidence lost since the game started to slip away. So it's worth any coach having a few safe stock changes at his disposal. Lobb spending more time in the ruck (or even just starting a quarter there) fits the bill nicely.

1. Lobb isn’t exactly a mountain of a ruck. His season is full of moments getting out muscled in marking contest and at ground cintests. He’s had a great month of football, but prior to that most supporters were asking why’s even getting games. Even then, that month has been as a forward prior to the second half of last night.
English gets a lot of his ball around the contest and links up as an extra mid it’s why he’s in AA contention. Something Lobb still doesn’t show, beside 20min of last nights game. To say he offers a lot more around a ruck contest post tap is fanciful at best.

2. We aren’t swapping English for Gawn or peak Grundy. Opponents aren’t going to have to re-think anything when he’s swapped for a tall that’s struggled in 90% of the games he’s played this year. English is clearly the better ruck outside the initial tap. Even then, Lobb isn’t comparable to a Gawn, Witts or O’Brien type. He is serviceable at best. Let’s not recreate history because he’s had a great half in the last game of the season.

3. Many including myself have said this before, I’ll say it again. English impacts around the ground as a roaming tall because of the minutes he plays in the ruck. You lose that if you play him elsewhere.

4. Sorry DW but this is just seems like padding.

English is favourite for the AA ruck spot. He’s been one of, if not the best No1 ruck in the comp. More Lobb ruck minutes might be the right mix moving forward, but English has been the clear better option in that role all season.

English just isn’t a number 1 ruckman. Never has been, never will be, he is a beyond excellent floating-tall and great second ruckman.

We should of always persisted with the Martin-English combo and then looked to replace Martin with either Sweet or someone else of that ilk and kept English as the fwd-ruck, instead we bowed to him bitching about lack of rucktime and went and got Lobb, whom we’re now stuck with (did an excellent job tonight playing first ruck).

I feel other clubs would have just told English to suck it up or leave if he complained about his lack of ruck time.
this has been my big problem with English all along. if we had have got a Goldy type 4 years ago, with English second ruck/ forward, who knows?
he took forever to develop as a ruck and is still prone to passive patches and games, even at/nearing his peak.
Lobb was the only feasible forward ruck that could fit around English, so we had to sell the farm for him, not because we rated him so high but because of what English (supposedly) insisted on being.
This is Bevo's greatest failing in my view.

Someone needs to tell the AA sectors that.

As I said to DW, you don’t get the around the ground English if you don’t give him ruck minutes. It’s not how the game works. Gawn and Grundy perfect examples of what’s lost when a ruckman that uses that role to work around the ground gets it taken away. Both have struggled to impact, Gawn more specifically, when minutes taken away. Drop Grundy and give Gawn his minutes back, look what happens.

Our dumb administration will fall for it yet again. Scrape into finals and paper over cracks and be close enough that they think we might be a chance next year when in reality we're a million miles away.

So the denial continues for another year and for another year we go in with Spangher as our forward coach and in 2024 we're here again with baffling losses, even more baffling selections by the coach and still stuck in no man's land.

Last edited:

As I said to DW, you don’t get the around the ground English if you don’t give him ruck minutes. It’s not how the game works. Gawn and Grundy perfect examples of what’s lost when a ruckman that uses that role to work around the ground gets it taken away. Both have struggled to impact, Gawn more specifically, when minutes taken away. Drop Grundy and give Gawn his minutes back, look what happens.

Will Liber be an AA? He means more to the team than a blazer of an AA

Those AA selectors think what Liber has done this year has been a phenomenon, they act as though wow how good has been how good is he.
I laughed when Mark Maclure laughed at their expertise when he told them Liber has been doing it for years and you guys have missed it

AA IMO are overrated in terms of what a player brings to a team

AA is based on one good year voted by some media people who need to have relevance

Not sure what AA selectors consider do they take into account the pay of the player? Which team he plays for? Did the side they play for play North and WC twice who knows what factors come in. Has Larkey had a better or as good as year as Curnow who has kicked 19 goals vs west Coast

In short I don’t consider AA as anything special other than manager’s throwing it up to clubs

Timmy may or may not be AA but his value to the team and what he brings should be maximised and fit into the team regardless whether he’s AA

Last edited:
Finally West got thrown in the middle. He played well.

Poulter did some nice things, still needs to get more of the ball though which I hope will improve over time.
He has been great but needs to improve defensively, particularly in the air if that makes sense. His attempted spoils are a tad half hearted. Otherwise he has a lovely left foot and is not afraid to switch play.

In the first half last night he was doing very little around the ground and in the taps was getting touched up by a first gamer and a mediocre Stanley. It was when he was taken out of the ruck in the second half that he started to have an influence and we looked heaps better around the ball.

I don’t want a highly paid ruckman that is a liability in the ruck. Throw-ins are deplorable. His AA jacket will not come for his ruck work.

I knew this would happen

My kids are up early asking me do I think Carlton will win

They have asked many times already

I guess when you wake up today it’s hard rot to want to make the finals regardless what is happening

Go Blues

Those AA selectors think what Liber has done this year has been a phenomenon, they act as though wow how good has been how good is he.
I laughed when Mark Maclure laughed at their expertise when he told them Liber has been doing it for years and you guys have missed it

AA is based on one good year voted by some media people who need to have relevance

Not sure what AA selectors consider do they take into account the pay of the player? Which team he plays for? Did the side they play for play North and WC twice who knows what factors come in. Has Larkey had a better or as good as year as Curnow who has kicked 19 goals vs west Coast

In short I don’t consider AA as anything special other than manager’s throwing it up to clubs

Timmy may or may not be AA but his value to the team and what he brings should be maximised and fit into the team regardless whether he’s AA

Yes, both Libber and Larkey are AA chances as a midfielder and a forward. As English is as our number 1 ruck.

Not sure what you’re getting at exactly?

Who cares what those other factors are and what previous years form is like. English has been our best ruck option all year and is favourite for the AA in that role on the back of his season.

Well done to the team on getting the win. It looked like the Cats would dominate us but the boys fought back and did enough. But one thing I have to say, we have quite a few players with sub par skill levels. Our ability to miss targets and turn the ball over or put unnecessary pressure on the receiver is laughable.
Also I am still not seeing it with Poulter and Baker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Lobb is God! Dogs jam pussies at the Cattery

Remove this Banner Ad

Back