Lockett or Dunstall?

Remove this Banner Ad

Lee Bowyer

Debutant
Oct 16, 2003
Who was the better Full Forward?
I believe Lockett was a better full forward. He is a fantastic kick and used his considerable size to great effect. Only just though.

robbieando said:
But in saying that if Lockett didn't have 3 injuried riddled seasons and got a better run at the tribunal, Lockett would still have the record.
well maybe ive just grown up seeing alot of dunstall and my mum say that he was the best ever
but thats my opinion

and add the fact that Lockett played in a poor side as opposed to Dunstalls.

When he was at the Saints he was often double or triple teamed. The Saints relied on him heavily for there goals, weren't many other viable options available, and he continually delivered

They were both similar type players in my opinion and were both unstoppable on their day. Lockett holds the record but Dunstall got injured towards the end of his career. I often think Dunstall does underrated in a lot of discussions, particularly with Carey, Ablett and Lockett. He was just as good as Plugger and kicked more goals than the other two.

The Fireman said:
and add the fact that Lockett played in a poor side as opposed to Dunstalls.

After 91 hawthorn wasnt a good side, the injuries dunstall faced and recovered from makes me appreciate him even more., 2 knee recos, fractured skull, broken collar bones. very harsh injuries,

I think Lockett just, only cause he got the record.

dipper86 said:
After 91 hawthorn wasnt a good side, the injuries dunstall faced and recovered from makes me appreciate him even more., 2 knee recos, fractured skull, broken collar bones. very harsh injuries,

I think Lockett just, only cause he got the record.
fair comment, but Lockett spent many games out injured and suspended as well, I honestly believe if lockett had played at Hawthorn his tally would be so much more.
278 (not sure if that is correct, could be less) games 1357 goals
Dunstall 269 Games 1254 goals

lockett was the better full forward, but dunstall was only second to locket

as a FF dunstall was still better than ablett, modra, sumich and cummings, just not lockett

Lockett. Double figures 22 times. When on song, noone was ever as dominant as the great Plugger. Most exciting player to watch. He had everything: Size, Pace, Strength, Skills, Great at ground level for a big footballer, never fumbled, and could perform when it really mattered. Dunstall was great, but just imagine if Plugger had the discipline that Dunstall did. He had so many injuries, but yet kept coming back as dominant as ever.

He kept St.Kilda alive in the 80's and early 90's. In '91, with a limited pre-season and after missing the first 6 games, he came back and kicked 12,10,12 in his first 3 games back. That is absolutely phenomenal. 1n '92 he kicked double figures 6 times. In '89 he kicked 78 from just 11 games. And in '89 he kicked 127 from just 17 games!

Only genuine FF to win the Brownlow. IMO he's the best footballer of all time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lockett was a magnificant player. I'd have him back in a heartbeat. If he had his late 1980's attitude on field combined with the learning of responsibility and discipline at the Swans, he would be even more unstoppable than he was.

Still don't like him, but a player like that is a rare commodity.

Dunstall. Biased? Of course. Do I care that I'm biased? No.

Dunstall. Gave away more, worked harder defensively than any forward I've seen. Kicked near enough the same amount. Goal average went up from 92 onwards (when the Hawks were'nt such a 'gun' side). Two knee reco's.

Lockett, awesome talent on pure ability what he may have done is open to speculation. What he did do though is still a fantastic record. Own fault on his tribunal record/games missed because of it.

Dunstall, awesome but dedicated talent for the whole of his career. What he did do as well was apply himself and his fantastic record also speaks for itself.

Wouldn't swap them if I could go back in time and I was able to do so, so for me, it's Dunstall.

Lockett had a slightly better goal per game average, so you'd probably have to lean towards him.

Having said that, Jason Dunstall is the best player I've ever had the privledge of watching on a weekly basis and he was an absolute champion.

Put it this way - those of us that got to see both of them (and Ablett) in action should feel very lucky.

Grendel said:
Dunstall. Biased? Of course. Do I care that I'm biased? No.

Dunstall. Gave away more, worked harder defensively than any forward I've seen. Kicked near enough the same amount. Goal average went up from 92 onwards (when the Hawks were'nt such a 'gun' side). Two knee reco's.

Lockett, awesome talent on pure ability what he may have done is open to speculation. What he did do though is still a fantastic record. Own fault on his tribunal record/games missed because of it.

Dunstall, awesome but dedicated talent for the whole of his career. What he did do as well was apply himself and his fantastic record also speaks for itself.

Wouldn't swap them if I could go back in time and I was able to do so, so for me, it's Dunstall.

so you would settle for second best? Odd.

PS, I'll say it again, there is no doubt that Lockett would have kicked a hell of a lot more goals if he had been at Hawthorn, a given.

Lockett biased veiw but anybody remember the final goal in his record breaking match against Collingwood, possibly the best camera work and kick ive seen, please someone tell me they remember

The Fireman said:
so you would settle for second best? Odd.

PS, I'll say it again, there is no doubt that Lockett would have kicked a hell of a lot more goals if he had been at Hawthorn, a given.

well you could also look at it from the perspective that Dunstall was only ever 1 of many targets up forward for Hawthorn, he had to compete for the ball with brereton, buckenara, hall, abbott, curran etc.

from my point of view, since lockett played as a sole target up forward he had a constant supply, i can remember paul kelly kicking backwards to lockett when he was close to the record.

my fondest memory of Dunstall was down at kardinia park in 92, late in the 3rd quarter when Dunstall kicked his 9th of 12 goals gary ablett was put on him and had no answers.

Dunstall was the ultimate team player, and would take his multiple premiership medallions over a record any day.

occy437 said:
Lockett biased veiw but anybody remember the final goal in his record breaking match against Collingwood, possibly the best camera work and kick ive seen, please someone tell me they remember
Mate, I saw him break that many records at StKilda and I always had a feeling he would break the goal tally record so it wasn't a big moment for me, I had seen the best of him.

latrell said:
well you could also look at it from the perspective that Dunstall was only ever 1 of many targets up forward for Hawthorn, he had to compete for the ball with brereton, buckenara, hall, abbott, curran etc.
Supply in a bad side is very limited. Some games Lockett spent the entire match standing with hands on hips.
latrell said:
from my point of view, since lockett played as a sole target up forward he had a constant supply, i can remember paul kelly kicking backwards to lockett when he was close to the record.
hmmm, kicking backwards to a full forward :confused:
latrell said:
my fondest memory of Dunstall was down at kardinia park in 92, late in the 3rd quarter when Dunstall kicked his 9th of 12 goals gary ablett was put on him and had no answers.
Lockett decimated the best Full backs every chance he had., Kicked 15 on Silvagni.
latrell said:
Dunstall was the ultimate team player, and would take his multiple premiership medallions over a record any day.
Sorry mate second best. Colour it anyway you like.

If only we knew how many goals they both gave away and created then it would show Dunstall ahead by a country mile.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lockett or Dunstall?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back