Long season ahead tigerheads....

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd rather read a report from a knowledgable poster like you who was at least at the game, not on the booze and actually took notice than from someone who just got home from work, turned the computer on, saw the scores and started teeing off.

Was at the game mate, and if you were there too you would know how demoralising it was for 2000 or so tiger supporters down there today

Once we get to round 4 - 6, then it’s when we can make a reasonable assessment to our year and short/medium term future.

Agreed Baz, but even then when we look at last year we started playing our best football after that point and the gap between our worst and best for the season was massive. Realistically, we're not going to fully bridge that consistency gap over one pre-season and we are going to play some poor games at some stage - some of these may well be early on given our draw.

We have a midfield that has really hardly played all together and new or inexperienced personnel all over the ground in key roles, we're quite probably going to look ordinary at times until they start to click together, but IMO the thing to hang onto is that we also saw last year that we're capable of rapid improvement from seemingly nowhere when we start getting what the coaching staff want right.

We have many more positives to put forward from the current pre-season than this time last year - good form from Vickery, Rance and Post, better depth and quality in our running roles, we're going to have an exciting year, but we'll have our down patches too.

We have many more positives to put forward from the current pre-season than this time last yea

I think that is what made it even more disturbing.

The only positive I could find today is that hopefully it is a wake up call. Adelaide showed the players what the season proper will be like.

I think that is what made it even more disturbing.

LOL...well, that's a legitimate conclusion too evo, personally, I find it heartening that players who were nowhere last year are doing well through the pre-season even though our form and the structures we've played are all over the place.

And Foley up and running freely? If we copped some injuries and got walloped by 30 goals today that alone would still bring a smile to my face.

We'll get there mate. :thumbsu:

I struggle to believe that some of you guys actually thought this season would be any different to last year.

We are going to struggle as hard as it might be for some of you to accept that, thats the facts.

At the end of this season we will have another clean out, this will and should continue on until we can actually find players who can cut it.

The important thing is we back the club and the coach instead of expecting things to change after only 12 months.

The Crows treated today like it was an actual H&A game, could see it in everything they did today.
- Their warmup was longer and more intense than our was. Our players seemed to be going through the motions even before the game.
- When they were in attack they were all yelling and pointing to each other to ensure they were in the correct positions so that there could be no easy escape for us. We seemed to just jog into position on most occassions.
- They used their bench a lot more than we did, making sure they kept their players fresh. We seemed intent on getting some miles in the legs of a few of the underdone players like Lids Newman Jack & Post. Wouldn't surprise me to find that the Crows had 50% more rotations than we did.

Like I said when we start losing like this in H&A games against sides that are at the same level as us then we can start worrying. Getting bent out of shape because of a loss in a practice match is just going to give you an unwanted ulcer.

100% agreed, we didn't look interested at all

LOL...well, that's a legitimate conclusion too evo, personally, I find it heartening that players who were nowhere last year are doing well through the pre-season even though our form and the structures we've played are all over the place.

And Foley up and running freely? If we copped some injuries and got walloped by 30 goals today that alone would still bring a smile to my face.

We'll get there mate. :thumbsu:

He's a gem, must of had 5 or 6 centre breaks, gotta start in the squarre rd 1

This is from a crows point if view

Originally Posted by marvin
I know Richmond were poor, but we took our foot right off the pedal in the 2nd and 3rd terms. I'm sure they had the acid put on them at 3 q time because they were a different side from the 1st bounce in the last

Normally we give up and accept our fate after the first few merciless floggings of the Home and away season. However the consensus this year seems to be that 2011 was OK while it lasted and roll on 2012.

Wonder what I'll do on weekends over the coming months !!!

if you all seriously think we can make the 8 say "aye"-

thats what I thought silence- we need another clean out and re assess, we have a long way to go

Holy crap, another clean out? Of what, all the 18-20 yr old dead wood on the list? You have lost your marbles... this is a young developing squad, so young in fact because of the large clean out in the last 2 years.... We were never ever going to make the 8 this year without a massive chunk of luck but that doesn't mean we are not developing and improving towards our next flag. Hardwick is 1 year in.... and flogs like you are already talking gloom and doom. I understand you have not the power of foresight.... but Hardwick is trying to build towards a flag and never in that plan was 2011 going to be the year it was delivered. It's steady as she goes, save the hysteria....

Holy crap, another clean out? Of what, all the 18-20 yr old dead wood on the list? You have lost your marbles... this is a young developing squad, so young in fact because of the large clean out in the last 2 years.... We were never ever going to make the 8 this year without a massive chunk of luck but that doesn't mean we are not developing and improving towards our next flag. Hardwick is 1 year in.... and flogs like you are already talking gloom and doom. I understand you have not the power of foresight.... but Hardwick is trying to build towards a flag and never in that plan was 2011 going to be the year it was delivered. It's steady as she goes, save the hysteria....

no hysteria just reality mate- we are not there yet and wont be for 2 years to seriously challenge for 8- we hope players will improve but if not you have to turn the list over- we are in year 3 of a 5 year re build, there are blokes who are struggling but what is worse is that as I said many showed no heart....long year ahead until proven otherwise champ

(Log in to remove this ad.)

no hysteria just reality mate- we are not there yet and wont be for 2 years to seriously challenge for 8- we hope players will improve but if not you have to turn the list over- we are in year 3 of a 5 year re build, there are blokes who are struggling but what is worse is that as I said many showed no heart....long year ahead until proven otherwise champ

It was a praccy match, dosen't mean anything, if we play like that in the real season however, then you can worry

Everything will be ok...

It was a praccy match so im not too concerned when i think about it

However, if we serve up that against the scum, heads will roll (from binge drinking)

Good to see that performance doesn't worry you much ..because Hardwick says he was gutted with the display by the Tigers .

Not the kind of effort you want to see from a young side with players looking to cement their places in the team for round one, which is only a week away .

Good to see that performance doesn't worry you much ..because Hardwick says he was gutted with the display by the Tigers .

Not the kind of effort you want to see from a young side with players looking to cement their places in the team for round one, which is only a week away .

Well yeah....It was a scratch match so im not too concerned (though im dissapointed), however if we play like that in rd 1 then i'll be worried about the playing group

Read the post fella.....

I suppose if we have to listen/take advise about 'effort' we may as well take it from a side that knows how to 'tank' 'rort' and 'buy' players, ie judd...

Now thats a mighty fine 'effort' indeedy...

Make an effort and come back here after the real season starts...

"You should win by 70+

We were just awful today, we've got a long way to go "
You mean this post ??

What has this got to do with what my last post said??

I said im not concerned with yesterday's peformance cos it was a practice game, but i was dissapointed. I then said if we play like that rd 1 i will be concerned

What are you talking about??????

I've only read the first 2-3 pages and cannot beleive the number of Tigerheads jumping the gun. You all need to settle and realise that we played two certain final prospects in Hawthorn and the Cows. FFS, the Hawks are behind the Maggies and Saints to snag the flag in 2011.

Practice match form equates to a pinch of bloody' salt IMO. For example, the Roos beat the Bulldogs, Sydney beat St Kilda and Geelong beat Carlton who previously lost to Port Adelaide (who we beat a couple of weeks ago).

Carlton beat the Crows by around 4 goals last week. We lost to Adelaide by 11 goals om Friday. Does that mean that we will lose to Carltank by 15 goals on Thursday week? Don' think so!!!

Finally, I would be far more devasted if any our core group of players sustained a long tern injury during these bullsh!t matches!

No need for these threads. We had several players underdone and we were flat. We should know by now we could be playing really good footy not even 3 or 4 weeks down the track. I have full confidence we'll be seeing some real good footy soon. We have alot to look forward to with a 3 tall forward attack. I don't think we've even had 3 tall forwards available or ready at afl level in any game for a few years. Reiwoldt, Post and Vickery just need games together. Will be interesting to see how Vickery goes. I'd prefer Griffiths when he's ready though. We've have 1 tall forward attacks and sometimes 2 tall forward attacks, but not 3. Having 3 talls will make a big difference. Playing our most recent picks in defence will be great to watch to. In regards to players being match fit, i think we are 2 weeks behind. Would have been nice if we had 1 more practice match. We'll need to have a tough intraclub match this weekend just to get our fitness and form a bit more up to scratch

I've only read the first 2-3 pages and cannot beleive the number of Tigerheads jumping the gun. You all need to settle and realise that we played two certain final prospects in Hawthorn and the Cows. FFS, the Hawks are behind the Maggies and Saints to snag the flag in 2011.

Practice match form equates to a pinch of bloody' salt IMO. For example, the Roos beat the Bulldogs, Sydney beat St Kilda and Geelong beat Carlton who previously lost to Port Adelaide (who we beat a couple of weeks ago).

Carlton beat the Crows by around 4 goals last week. We lost to Adelaide by 11 goals om Friday. Does that mean that we will lose to Carltank by 15 goals on Thursday week? Don' think so!!!

Finally, I would be far more devasted if any our core group of players sustained a long tern injury during these bullsh!t matches!

Hit the nail on the head with that last comment.

I had nightmares of injuries in this game and one real positive is we didn't get any.

We outscored the Crows in the 3rd quarter and then eased up and put the blanket on the machine,tuned and ported to run riot Round 1.

Don't know if I can handle that again???
At the risk of sounding indifferent....

a) who gives a shit... it was a praccy match
Actually, it was our LAST practice match before the season, a game that almost every other side used as a final tune up to how they'll run out Round 1. So in this sense is was very very dissappointing... and the coach said as much.

b) 2011 was never going to be a brilliant year and anyone who thought different smokes too much crack or believes more than half the crap that gets written on here...
Agree: 4-6 wins only: but competitive in the rest; at the moment the signs arent good about "competitive". If you have an interest in the club OF COURSE youre going to worry about it: we're supporters! thats our function for gods sake! Our job isnt to be indifferent!

c) We will still get smacked from time to time because we don't have a very good team (advanced concept that one)
Yes we will: but surely surely surely the club doesnt want another Round 1 debacle on its hands. Those last two round 1's have hurt the club more deeply than some people seem to appreciate. Most sensible supporters are not expecting any magical leap this year, but there has to be at least some sign of progress - both absolute and relative to other teams. Thats not demanding anything more than the club should be demanding of itself.

d) the road to a flag will not necessarily be 15th, 11th, 6th, 3rd, flag... it could be 15th, 14th, 8th and so on or even 15th, 17th....
agreed: but the road to another decade in the bottom 8 also follows a similar pattern and I for one, dont think I could bear it.

Everyone is telling the Bombers to keep a lid on it, maybe we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water just yet...
No, definately not; but even you must admit, tobjectively looking at our entire preaseason: we have farily good cause to feel some anxiety of the prospects being worse than our already VERY LOW expectations.

thoughts?

No need for these threads. We had several players underdone and we were flat. We should know by now we could be playing really good footy not even 3 or 4 weeks down the track.

underdone? underdone?

After a full preaseason, and 4 practice matches, and barely 10 days out from the first match????

Underdone?? .. and we should wait until "3 or 4 weeks down the track" .... wot? Round 4? Will Round 4 do you, then?

This must be some new incredible fitness, strength and conditioning technique; dont be match ready until after the season starts.

This give 'pre-season' a whole new meaning! It extends into round 4! so really, our season only starts in Round 5: so does anyone get awarded points Round 1 -4? I guess not.

(I think that this post is up there with Capt. Johnson's infamous "it was the wake up call we needed" explanation after another Round 1 Thrashing. "Wake up call? in Round 1? Wasnt the last 10 years a ****ing wake up call????)

Remove this Banner Ad

Long season ahead tigerheads....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back