Long season ahead tigerheads....

Remove this Banner Ad

Went on Friday with mad Tigers mate.
from a neuteral observer, two things stood out for mine.

1-Your kick ins-awful, no system and oh so slow. Ditto receive of kick ins. Adelaide were in position so much quicker and manged to get it our nearly every time.

2 Froward pressure. the most obvious trend in the game yet Tigers were playing three talls who couldn't chase when it hit the gorund. Other than Nahas( who played quite well) when the ball his the ground, it was all over.

Sorry, one more. Rance kept going to ground-every time.

I felt sorry for all the angry supporter on the way out and the beer wasnt' overly cold.

Our kick ins have been crap for a decade. Think it comes down to laziness or inexperience because it's not hard to get a 5-10m advantage on your opponent to get into space and offer a target at the kick in. The players offering for the 2nd kick should be trying to keep as much open space as possible to lead into rather than standing around congesting areas. We seem to be playing Houli in the back half when he's needed up forward

Originally Posted by partycorolla
Don't know if I can handle that again???
At the risk of sounding indifferent....

a) who gives a shit... it was a praccy match
Actually, it was our LAST practice match before the season, a game that almost every other side used as a final tune up to how they'll run out Round 1. So in this sense is was very very dissappointing... and the coach said as much.

b) 2011 was never going to be a brilliant year and anyone who thought different smokes too much crack or believes more than half the crap that gets written on here...
Agree: 4-6 wins only: but competitive in the rest; at the moment the signs arent good about "competitive". If you have an interest in the club OF COURSE youre going to worry about it: we're supporters! thats our function for gods sake! Our job isnt to be indifferent!

c) We will still get smacked from time to time because we don't have a very good team (advanced concept that one)
Yes we will: but surely surely surely the club doesnt want another Round 1 debacle on its hands. Those last two round 1's have hurt the club more deeply than some people seem to appreciate. Most sensible supporters are not expecting any magical leap this year, but there has to be at least some sign of progress - both absolute and relative to other teams. Thats not demanding anything more than the club should be demanding of itself.

d) the road to a flag will not necessarily be 15th, 11th, 6th, 3rd, flag... it could be 15th, 14th, 8th and so on or even 15th, 17th....
agreed: but the road to another decade in the bottom 8 also follows a similar pattern and I for one, dont think I could bear it.

Everyone is telling the Bombers to keep a lid on it, maybe we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water just yet...
No, definately not; but even you must admit, tobjectively looking at our entire preaseason: we have farily good cause to feel some anxiety of the prospects being worse than our already VERY LOW expectations.

UK, I am not saying for an instant that I wouldn't have preferred us to come out and win every praccy by 80 points but I have faith that DH is trying to prime the team (read club) for a tilt at a premiership. Reading into that, I don't believe that DH is certain yet which players will be coming along for the ride or in which positions. If 2011 is a poor season for us (win/loss terms) but DH finds out what he needs to about certain players and maybe his own strategies then I have no problem with that if it takes us closer to a flag.

We have managed to get through the pre season unscathed from an injury point of view.... limited minutes for Newy, Lids and Mini Roo, Cotch getting left out of the last one and so on and so forth. Sydney are a side that generally had crap pre seasons and then deliver good results in season. By that comment I am not suggesting that we will deliver great results in season but merely not to read anything into pre season form.

Remember last year when DH said all of the players had to 'go back to school'? Well, I would be absolutely flabbergasted if they now know all they need to know... hence the learning continues... pre season would be as good a time as any. We don't have the experience of teams like Adel, Haw etc so if we try a few new things then I'm not surprised if they don't work every time.

I like you do not wish to see another 10 years of crap.... but DH really does need time with this group, sorry that should read, to mould his own group and we all need to be patient.... for our own good and the clubs.

--------------------

Thanks for the thoughtful reply Party: some other posters seem to think I was simply setting out to trash the team,coach, approach - without reading what I actually wrote.

i have low expectations for wins this year, and I definately believe that DH and the club in general is on the right track - and needs time to delivery (another 2 years probably)...
For all that, and for balance, we still need to be able to call a spade a spade: and the fact is that even with relatively low expecations, our pre-season has not been very good: and those trotting out laughable excuses like 'underdone' 10 days out from Round 1 are going to find themselves having a "johnson reality check"!

The title of the thread is correct: its going to be another long season: - which I think 80% of us are prepared for - but the anxiety comes when there appears to be a danger of not even meeting low expectations.

So 2-4 players werent at their peak? I guess Adelaide was 100%? I guess there was no 2nd tier players who needed to bust a gut?.. and Adelaide didnt care about their last stoopid practice match either?

The team consists of mentally weak pickles and a couple of blokes with heart and the type of balls the rest of the team should have.

90% of the list needs the cnut punched out of them so they grow up and realise how gay they play the game.

I expect,this year,to see the exit of such players from punt road by seasons end and nothing more.

You'd be better pressed getting on the ponies for a win for quite a while.

The team consists of mentally weak pickles and a couple of blokes with heart and the type of balls the rest of the team should have.

90% of the list needs the cnut punched out of them so they grow up and realise how gay they play the game.

I expect,this year,to see the exit of such players from punt road by seasons end and nothing more.

You'd be better pressed getting on the ponies for a win for quite a while.

Well just like there's only one 'black caviar'...

There can only be one premiership side a year be it Collingwood, geelong, hawthorn....

Like scotty palmer says...So keep on punching...

PS...Ian Roberts played a fair game of NRL...

Remove this Banner Ad

Long season ahead tigerheads....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back