Luke Hodge caught drink driving - $5000 fine, free to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow! An outraged Poos+Wees fan, who finally recognises the seriousness of Hodge DUI! Wonders will never cease! Good for you Mick, acknowledging the gravity of the Hodge DUI :thumbsu:

Is there any need for me to reply, when you've already answered for me? :rolleyes:

If you'd read my posts, I think it's blatantly obvious that I absolutely abhor Hodge's behaviour of drinking + driving. You couldn't be more wrong that I take pleasure from the possibility that Hodge could have killed someone on the road. Any pleasure I have derived is from: BF Poos+Wees fans who are completely deluding themselves about this Hodge incident; Poos+Wees fans rationalising Hodge DUI as only a little bit over the limit; Poos+Wees fans failing to offer any sort of rational discussion about the issue, instead resorting to sniping + belittling oppo team posters; + oppo fans joking about Hodge being such a Top Bloke. But it is all meant in the spirit of light hearted banter, which you Poos+Wees posters fail to comprehend.

Let me see if I can mimic your sentiment?
Wow! Epicaricacy! Wow you speak English + you can use a Thesaurus too! ;)

A virtue? Where did I suggest my Schadenfreude was a virtue? Really, you Poos+Wees fans love to twist people's words!
Very kind of you to be so concerned about me, but don't you worry, I take enormous pleasure from the mighty + magnificent Geelong Cats + have done so for many years.

It's not original, but it is witty to non-Poos+Wees fans ;) especially when you Poos+Wees fans didn't get so bent out of shape by the term. Perhaps if you Poos+Wees fans didn't react to the term, people would stop using it :p

In future Mick, before jumping down someone's throat, twisting their words + making senseless allegations you should not form an opinion based on one post :)
Don't waste so much time on all things HAWTHORN!! Let it go Geelong.

That 'interview' on fox footy was one of the most laughable things I have ever seen.

Firstly they play a lead-in when players are talking about that a gun he is.

Then McGuire elaborates on what a great a bloke he is, apologises for asking the question, then answers for him.

Hodge is a thug on field, has had various battles off field with extra-curricular habits, and has endangered lives with this.

Enough.
I just had to give this a like.

Didn't see the interview myself, but it sounds amazing.

Wrong again, Hodgey gets all the media.
Are you a good bloke? So brave? Well I might break into someone's house and use that as my defence.

I'm a good guy so let me off your honour;)

Some of the posts in here border on the bizarre. Why should Hawks suspend him? With a finals series and a chance for a threepete, they are only punishing his team mates and supporters. A fine is appropriate, and possibly a review of whether he remains as captain.

For those anti-Hawks just jumping on this because they don't like Hodge or the the club, it's sick. Very few of you care about the fact that drunk drivers kill so many people each year which affects people and their families in the worst possible way. Using this for your own spite is as offensive if not more than Hodge's own stupidity.

Last edited:
okay just say being over the legal limit increases your risk of crashing a car by 50 times.

now lets assume luke hodge has held a drivers license for about 15 years (5478 days). lets assume he drives a car on average 2 occasions every day.
= 10,956 occasions where he's driven a car in his life.

i'm not sure what his road traffic accident record is like but lets assume he's had 2 reasonably serious crashes in his life.

therefore his historical probability of crashing a car under normal circumstances is 2/10956 or %0.01825

now if having a .068 blood alcohol level increases risk of crashing by 50 times (generous, it's more like 20 but we'll go with 50 for arguments sake) then the probability becomes 100/10956 = 0.9% chance of having a major accident....less than 1% or greater than 100-1.

by comparison carlton was 18-1 to beat hawthorn today. see? it's highly highly unlikely that luke hodge was gonna have serious accident even under influence of alcohol.

so all things considered, he should be fined, he should lose his license and we all need to get over it. hawks shouldn't drop him and this public outrage needs to tone down.

.....man i should be a lobbyist for johnny walker!!
You are an absolute disgrace of a human being. So you think stuff it the chances of taking an innocent persons life isnt too bad so why not. I take it you have done your fair share of drink driving and justify it to yourself this way. You have a disgusting way of rationalising this. Its willingly increasing the chance of killing someone. Pathetic scumbag. I hope you never become the victim or a perpetrator of drink driving death.

Last edited:
Some of the posts in here border on the bizarre. Why should Hawks suspend him? With a finals series and a chance for a threepete, they are only punishing his team mates and supporters. A fine is appropriate, and possibly a review of whether he remains as captain.

For those anti-Hawks just jumping on this because they don't like Hodge or the the club, it's sick. Very few of you care about the fact that drunk drivers kill so many people each year which affects people and their families in the worst possible way. Using this for you own spite is as offensive if not more than Hodge's own stupidity.

Some pretty sweeping statements here.

The "punishing his teammates" comment is all class. Did he punish his teammates when he ran over Chad? Now he's breaking the law, but you're comfortable with him getting out there next week so as to avoid "punishing his teammates"? Please.

Some pretty sweeping statements here.

The "punishing his teammates" comment is all class. Did he punish his teammates when he ran over Chad? Now he's breaking the law, but you're comfortable with him getting out there next week so as to avoid "punishing his teammates"? Please.

Absolutely he did. And the club weren't happy with him at all for it.

He broke the law, and has been punished by the law accordingly. He may also be fined and lose his captaincy. Your hysteria on the issue appears to be purely anti-Hawk motivated and is quite disgusting to be honest, considering how serious drunk-driving actually is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leadership group hasn't met yet champy, hold fire till Monday. Like all clubs, the leadership group makes the decision.
Pfft...leadership group. Why even put them in such a position? They have to decide whether you endanger their own finals prospects by metering out penalties to one of their own? Of course they are not going to be able to make a judgement on their own mate and captain. This should be decided by the Hawthorn club management. And no, leadership groups do not decide matters of player discipline at all clubs.

So i got pulled over by the cops on my way home from the pub and i may or may not have had 4 - 10 beers. And i waited a reasonable 30 seconds after finishing my drink before deciding i was fine to drive home. I spent a good 20 mins trying to get into my car before realising i don't own a falcon and finally found my bravo in the carpark.

When the cop informed me i was drunk and asked me why, i told him i want to be like my hero hodge and he had a chuckle so i elbowed him in the neck. After he got up he shook my hand and said he wasn't gonna give me a fine because i was such a good bloke. All in all i think it was a fair outcome given circumstances. True story eh.

P.S. wasn't a true story, i don't own a bravo anymore.

P.P.S i also do respect some policeman.

P.P.P.S I'm obviously lying... i go for north... as if i can afford 4-10 beers.

Pfft...leadership group. Why even put them in such a position? They have to decide whether you endanger their own finals prospects by metering out penalties to one of their own? Of course they are not going to be able to make a judgement on their own mate and captain. This should be decided by the Hawthorn club management. And no, leadership groups do not decide matters of player discipline at all clubs.
Ah and if the afl made the decision on the efc drugs saga they would have cleared them.....oh wait...thats what happens when you trust those with vested interest to dish out punishment

The punishment will be proportional to the crime....It will be to Hodge's detriment & not the clubs.

Absolutely he did. And the club weren't happy with him at all for it.

He broke the law, and has been punished by the law accordingly. He may also be fined and lose his captaincy. Your hysteria on the issue appears to be purely anti-Hawk motivated and is quite disgusting to be honest, considering how serious drunk-driving actually is.

Maybe my hysteria is more over the fact the media continue to make him out to be a great bloke, despite doing something incredibly dumb?

Maybe my hysteria is more over the fact the media continue to make him out to be a great bloke, despite doing something incredibly dumb?

Great blokes aren't immune from mistakes.

The definition of one does not = infallible.

He was half a pot over, hardly a hanging offence....Get over it already!

I think the people in the industry who have worked with and known Luke Hodge for over 15 years have a better idea whether he's a good bloke or not (albeit who's done a couple of stupid things-like most people), rather than some opposition supporters familiar with a few isolated incidents.

Reality check: good blokes can still get done for drink driving. Every Australian knows someone done for drink driving or knows someone who does.

We're humans, we make mistakes. It's in our DNA. Hodge did the wrong thing and his punishment will be determined by the laws he broke.

I think the people in the industry who have worked with and known Luke Hodge for over 15 years have a better idea whether he's a good bloke or not (albeit who's done a couple of stupid things-like most people), rather than some opposition supporters familiar with a few isolated incidents.

Haha Hawks fans are unbelievable. What he has done is absolutley appalling, a week after an assistant coach at his club lost his son in a drink driving accident. How can you possibly defend this?

Great blokes aren't immune from mistakes.

The definition of one does not = infallible.

He was half a pot over, hardly a hanging offence....Get over it already!

Half a pot?

3-4 beers, stopped drinking for 2 hours, supposedly, and still blew 0.068? Yeahhh.

The hypocrisy coming from the Family Club here is unbelievable.

Half a pot?

3-4 beers, stopped drinking for 2 hours, supposedly, and still blew 0.068? Yeahhh.

The hypocrisy coming from the Family Club here is unbelievable.

What hypocrisy?....The matter will be dealt with in-house, just like any other family does.

The punishment will be proportional to the crime....It will be to Hodge's detriment & not the clubs.

Not punishing the club is the most bullshit of excuses.
The club decides what punishment Hodge deserves - regardless of the fact that it is finals, and regardless of the impact on the rest of the group.
Whatever decision they would've made in round 1 THEY MUST make the same call in round 23. You can't make exceptions. You can't pick when a punishment will apply.

Did anyone complain about the Eagles getting punished as a club for Cousin's 2 year suspension? Did anyone complain about the impact on our club when we suspended both Heath Shaw and Alan Didak for the last few rounds and finals of the 2008 season? (When we had taken the '07 prelim against Geelong right to the wire).

You get a MRP suspension - they don't give a shit about it being to the detriment of your club.
---

You can argue what the level of punishment from the club might be.
YOU CANNOT ARGUE that the fact it is finals, or the "impact on the club" should somehow influence that decision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Luke Hodge caught drink driving - $5000 fine, free to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back