Free Agency Mabior Chol [joins Gold Coast as an unrestricted free agent]

Remove this Banner Ad

If Chol is an unrestricted free agent........why would GC trade for him?

To save the AFL a compo pick?
They wouldn't have to as it turns out he's a free agent. Generally speaking players hit free agency after 8 years he was previously delisted thus making him a free agent. No big deal.

Richmond would like to keep him but wont go over board with a big contract
Thinking we will offer 2 years $350k and a 3 year $400k will move him.

With the lack of rucks in the comp and the 'ruck merry go round' he will walk if he only gets offered $350k.

What is the average and median salary at AFL now. Recall it is over $300k pa. Add another 20% ruck uplift to that median as there are very few players who can carry a ruck role.

With the lack of rucks in the comp and the 'ruck merry go round' he will walk if he only gets offered $350k.

What is the average and median salary at AFL now. Recall it is over $300k pa. Add another 20% ruck uplift to that median as there are very few players who can carry a ruck role.
If a club only paid their top 26 players (22+ the 4 emergencies) it works out with the 2021 Salary Cap at $506,383 each. Average per player is about $300,000.

The figure for best twenty two average knowing that clubs have players making 150-200% of that shows that unless a player is a going to play every week they are probably making closer to $150,000 a season.

Doubling that figure to Chol would be massive, even though it's only taking him to the average.

And to be perfectly honest he should walk
He is behind Nank and probably Soldo & Coleman jones if he stays with Ryan coming fast and Mate Colina just been added to the Cat B list
I would and if i can earn 400k or over you go.

If he walks he still needs to be traded right?

his last two games plus more to come will increase his trade value surely
Hes an unrestricted free agent. He just picks a club and they sign him. We may or may not get compensated for him depending on length and $ of the deal he signs plus some other secret afl herbs and spices.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100%

I think what happens to CCJ could also have an impact in that regard
Whilst that would seem like the logical thought i think Richmond would be looking at it differently

Both players are required at the club and will have contracts on the table and would be happy to keep both and if price too high lose both
Richmond is pretty good with its contracts structure and valuations and are happy to let players leave if its in the best interest of the player and deal with the trade accordingly.

Would not surprise me if both stayed or if both left

Whilst that would seem like the logical thought i think Richmond would be looking at it differently

Both players are required at the club and will have contracts on the table and would be happy to keep both and if price too high lose both
Richmond is pretty good with its contracts structure and valuations and are happy to let players leave if its in the best interest of the player and deal with the trade accordingly.

Would not surprise me if both stayed or if both left
I’d be shocked if both stayed my money would be on 1 leaving then next most likely scenario is both leaving

I’d be shocked if both stayed my money would be on 1 leaving then next most likely scenario is both leaving
If Chol and CCJ are smart and have great offers they leave. Tigers had an unbelievable run but no dynasty lasts forever. It could happen this or next year but in the end Tigers will drop back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agency Mabior Chol [joins Gold Coast as an unrestricted free agent]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back