Team Mgmt. Makeup of our team II - Strengths & deficiencies, player development

Remove this Banner Ad

I look at the list and unless Perkins and Cox can somehow do a Caldwell, and the Davey's see huge improvements next year, I just don't have much hope in anything good happening in the next 5 years. Merrett's going to end up with a bit of wasted caereer. Really hope I'm wrong, but this isn't reactionary, I've had huge doubts of the lists all year, and still feel like the trades and signings were just to plug holes and not actually make us better.

I look at the list and unless Perkins and Cox can somehow do a Caldwell, and the Davey's see huge improvements next year, I just don't have much hope in anything good happening in the next 5 years. Merrett's going to end up with a bit of wasted caereer. Really hope I'm wrong, but this isn't reactionary, I've had huge doubts of the lists all year, and still feel like the trades and signings were just to plug holes and not actually make us better.

People felt the same way about Carlton about halfway through last season. Sometimes you just need things to click

I want to see genuine game changers brought onto the list. Im talking a big powerful midfielder in the Bont, Cripps type.

If that doesn't happen then a game changing small / medium forward. The small forwards we currently have are crap and not good enough or simply cant stay on the park. Picket looked like tearing the game apart for them last night. How often does Shai Bolton tear games apart? Weightman? Stengle? Papley? Doesnt need to be an early draft pick but someone lightning who can mark over head would be nice.

I desperately want to see more (small) medium fwd marking types. Perhaps just another example of Perkins. Someone who can start on a HFF but role up to the middle when needed. Depth in this area would be nice in lieu of the plethora of small forwards we have.

I think we are ok in midfielders, maybe guys who can role through would be nice but not their no.1 role. More flankers (mainly forward) as well. A key forward to develop would be nice as well, doesn't need to be an early selection but someone to keep an eye on in the twos.

The best 22 (23) isn't that bad but depth for the list needs to be expanded or we won't see any improvement to our results or we stick to the same tried and tested make up that has served us so well.

It’s pretty rare all your young talent just simultaneously fire in the one season. Durham, Martin and Caldwell are the finds this season. Makes sense given they have all had 2-3 season continuity and are entering their primes at 23 yo.

Next season is critical for Perkins, Cox, Hobbs, Reid - they enter that age bracket and it’s no longer enough to show glimpses.

Davey x2, Tsatas and Wanganeen need to show more glimpses at AFL level next season.

Feel like the development has been good this year. But pretty nervous about Daveysx2 and Hobbs in particular. They have really stalled.

It’s pretty rare all your young talent just simultaneously fire in the one season. Durham, Martin and Caldwell are the finds this season. Makes sense given they have all had 2-3 season continuity and are entering their primes at 23 yo.

Next season is critical for Perkins, Cox, Hobbs, Reid - they enter that age bracket and it’s no longer enough to show glimpses.

Davey x2, Tsatas and Wanganeen need to show more glimpses at AFL level next season.

Feel like the development has been good this year. But pretty nervous about Daveysx2 and Hobbs in particular. They have really stalled.
I just posted in another thread but the lack of first rounders in 2017 > 2019 is really hurting us at the moment.

2017 would make them 23,
2019 would make them 25.

First rounders heading into there prime is hurting us big time

People felt the same way about Carlton about halfway through last season. Sometimes you just need things to click
Yes, but most our supporter base are a bunch of Veruca Salts.

Last night was a perfect time to "click" but didn't.

yeah, things never go as well as you want.

Team has some issues. Also have good talent.

That Carlton side was playing too tall. Took out a ruck and everything took off.

North a month ago added an extra tall and instantly improved.

The difference between teams is so small RN that the right small tweak can have a big impact.

yeah, things never go as well as you want.

Team has some issues. Also have good talent.

That Carlton side was playing too tall. Took out a ruck and everything took off.

North a month ago added an extra tall and instantly improved.

The difference between teams is so small RN that the right small tweak can have a big impact.
Hopefully dropping Wright is the click this team needs because that is probably the biggest concern right now

Hopefully dropping Wright is the click this team needs because that is probably the biggest concern right now

Hard to know. Forward line is too slow so added speed would be nice.

Then dropping Wright takes away lots of height. His dropped marks would be less bad if we could crumb/hold pressure.

I think Wright is unfairly maligned. Wouldn’t mind resting Stringer for a week and seeing what it looks like with him swapped with a pressure player

Hard to know. Forward line is too slow so added speed would be nice.

Then dropping Wright takes away lots of height. His dropped marks would be less bad if we could crumb/hold pressure.

I think Wright is unfairly maligned. Wouldn’t mind resting Stringer for a week and seeing what it looks like with him swapped with a pressure player
thing is we don't have a (natural small) pressure forward ready enough though. Menzies has been playing higher up the ground at VFL level, ADJ looks better suited up the ground. Jayden is coming from a long way back and Tex will be delisted at years end.

thing is we don't have a (natural small) pressure forward ready enough though. Menzies has been playing higher up the ground at VFL level, ADJ looks better suited up the ground. Jayden is coming from a long way back and Tex will be delisted at years end.

Nick hind has been Sub. Parish and Saad will be back before finals. Roberts has shown some promise, has a big tank and his defensive shortcomings might be mitigated by a ball chasing role close to goal.

Again I’m not sure any of these work. The only thing I’m certain of is the current mix definitely doesn’t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick hind has been Sub. Parish and Saad will be back before finals. Roberts has shown some promise, has a big tank and his defensive shortcomings might be mitigated by a ball chasing role close to goal.

Again I’m not sure any of these work. The only thing I’m certain of is the current mix definitely doesn’t.
Id have more confidence in Wanganeen playing this role than any of the ones you mentioned

Add him to the list.

I’m not picky. Just think repeatedly doing what doesn’t work and hoping for different results is a bad idea
unfortunately I have little faith in the club making hard and honest decisions like this.

Hawthorn shipped off multiple triple premiership players to reign a rebuild whilst still good enough. Meanwhile we hold onto blokes because we don't want to hurt there feelings or piss off clubs greats. Cannot fathom how we operate sometimes

what's 'doing a caldwell'? continued improvement over 5 seasons? injury free preseasons? what?
Becoming consistently good. Caldwell showed he could played previously but didn’t do it week in week out until this season. The reason I refer to Caldwell and not Durham is what you are saying. I'm not looking for overnight sensation which Durham kinda is.

**** under pressure and half the backline cannot kick
Redman, Ridley, Martin are all good kicks. I think it is a fallacy we are poor from half back. yes, we have some average kicks but overall, we should be better at getting the ball from half back

Remove this Banner Ad

Team Mgmt. Makeup of our team II - Strengths & deficiencies, player development

Remove this Banner Ad

Back