Malthouse prevented player revolt in 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Malthouse wanted all focus to be on the field in 2011... so he went on the footy show stirring the pot late in the season.
Did you lose to Carlton and miss the GF after Malthouse went on The Footy Show?

Mick was more diplomatic than you claim...

Collingwood people think Cloke (see the supporter comments when he was uncontracted), Malthouse, Dawes and Wellingham owe the Pies. An attitude that borders on arrogance if you think they shouldn't do what's best for themselves, but for the club when they're employees.

Collingwood were more than willing to "do a Wellingham" by taking Ball, Young, Lynch and Jolly as out of contract players. Walsh wasn't exactly diplomatic towards Wellingham with his exit speech for a Collingwood premiership player. Yet Collingwood supporters have a problem with Mick writing a book and working as a media commentator for his new employers.
Hmmmmm.....is it Collingwood or Carlton who slid since Buckley came on board? No worries you've got the messiah now, he'll right the ship all by himself. He's a great man you know, it says so in his book....that he wrote.
Was Ratten or Buckley were responsible for your two losses to Carlton last season?

If after one year, Mick loses the Carlton equivalent of Dawes and Wellingham to gain two top 25 picks, a Clinton Young and a 30 year old on his last legs, it will be portrayed negatively by the media and Collingwood supporters. Methinks Carey was right that there was a fallout between Buckley and a few players. Dawes and Wellingham gone after one year after a GF and the former was re-signed by Buckley.

Perhaps Collingwood and Eddie should apologise to Carey.
I enjoy watching Bucks crack the shits in the box. I find it hilarious even though it probably means we're losing. :p
I'm going to miss Ratten on the boundary line. :cool:

This story has some small benefit for Collingwood. It diverts any attention away from the fact that Cloke's greed resulted in the departure of 2 best 22 players. They are in all sorts down there. Again, the individual (Cloke), has won out over the team. Buckley's imprimatur.
lol seriously. We had about the best trade period ever.

Dont-Feed-the-Trolls.png

It is amazing whenever ones own team is being discussed it is considered a troll. Yet when threads on other teams that are not your own are shut down all and sundry jump up and down disappointed about being denied to lay the online boots in. :confused:

To be honest, it was that it happened to Collingwood per se. More that Buckley the figjam again revealed himself to be a figjam flog.

I hate Buckley becase he lied to us and shafted us in the early 90s.

I actually don't miund Ciollingwood overall, got a lot of time for Eddie.

You need to redirect your hatred towards Collingwood as a whole and Brisbane.
This is why
1) The deal North and Brisbane made was illegal. Buckley signed an illegal contract. Even Miller says that he was a naive young bloke.
2) Collingwood used this to enter into negotiations with Brisbane.
3) When Bucks starred in the SANFL the next year, Brisbane had all intentions of reneging on the deal...and said so. Ireland was overruled by Gordon.
4) Buckley's new manager couldn't believe a deal was struck and told Ray Buckley to butt out because the ramifications for North and Brisbane would have meant financial disaster for the two clubs and Buckley would have suffered as well.
5) Had things continued on their 'merry way', Brisbane had all intentions of having Buckley play for the year and then telling North to f..k off...again. So North were never going to get him. Buckley's way out was to agree to a year with Brisbane, get Brisbane to cut a deal with another club and then leave.
6) Collingwood played it well and snared Buckley.
7) North screwed themselves through a shonky deal that backfired. Didn't hurt them much anyway.

So, you really need to despise the hell out of Gubby Allan and Noel Gordon who were the main players in shutting North out of the deal. North shafted themselves out of it by going the illegal avenue with Brisbane who at the time, got cold feet because sanctions would have meant financial ruin. In the end it, it cost North nothing. The 10 grand was paid back and you won 2 flags in 3 years. Maybe two more with Buckley? Meh, no guarantees.

Let it go man, it's not healthy to hate when your reasons for hating are off the mark.
BTW, Majak is no where near Nic Nat, that's why there is no hype about his playing ability but more about his heritage. Sad but true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like most non Collingwood supporters, I too rubbed my hands together when Eddie announced the "handover" in 2009. After getting over the 2010 flag, I figured this would only make the "handover" more awkward - in fact for possibly the only time in my life I wanted the pies to go back to back & pour more pressure on Buckley and give Malthouse - a true legend of our generation- another flag.
I gotta say this, since the beginning of 2012, my respect has gone up for Buckley and dropped on Malthouse.
Buckley may have started his career as a figjam but the way he handled himself over the year - especially early on with Carey dropping that garbage - was first class.
Malthouses ranting in the media has made him look desperate.
The article in the paper this morning - this extract - was just nauseating.
When your fully grown child is a sycophant - it speaks volumes for how deluded the world is around you.

Collingwood and Buckley are a class act, it pains me to say it but they are.
Malthouse and Carlton probably deserve each other. Money and ego used to be a powerful mix in football. While Eddie has the ego,he is smart enough to pull his head in when Gary Pert tells him.

It's just one of those fantastic sliding doors moments that has added an extra element to the AFL's biggest rivalry. Without North, McGuire wouldn't have jumped at shadows and Buckley probably wouldn't be Collingwood coach in 2012 and Malthouse wouldn't be Carlton coach in 2013.

Does Malthouse know that, by the way? Does he remember he's coaching a team next year and there's some trade period going down at the moment? Or does he need to visit every two-buck town in Australia plugging his book? Can't wait to read it either. Should be an unbiased and objective insight into one of the great coaching minds. A rational man, who can identify his own faults and misgivings, recounting his football journey, warts and all.

Lol. Read that with a straight face. The revisionism will be unreal.

"And as I walked onto the Etihad turf ready to inspire my legion of foot soldiers for a combative quarter of football, my path became intertwined with that intrepid, but fiery, small forward for St. Kilda. I politely doffed my cap and inquired into the health of his private life. As I bid him adieu I heard him utter an insult that doesn't bear repeating and came completely unprovoked and out-of-the-blue. Nevertheless, I refocused my energy to my playing group and soldiered on gamely."

Pure gold.

Seems to me like Mick did not put it to bed as well as he thought. Very happy he is gone.

Clearly. MM would have an interesting book to write but with Christi's writing abilities and obvious rose coloured glasses I find it difficult to take seriously. It reads like a fairytale, even if based on some fact it isn't balanced.
Nathan Buckley's book is a very good read and he certainly never gave himself any kudos. He was pretty hard on himself actually.

& Josh Gibson and David Hale left North to become much better players at their new club. So drafting in 13 players, with a min requirement of 3 per season plus the 3 retirements you mentioned is sticking with the status quo.

Scott is still relying on the same flawed players that Laidley did in his coaching stint. Not a lot has changed at North in that sense.

Neither Gibson or Hale retired, which was the point of the discussion. They were traded for draft picks which have done very nicely.

What will the water conditions off Gabo Island be Liv?

Scott's biggest difficulty, as he admitted himself, is that he has constructed a gameplan that relies far too heavily on kids like Bastinac, Ziebell, Cunnington, Atley and Harper.

I encourage you to keep participating in this, our magnificent footy forum, but counsel that you'd do better here by improving your knowledge of our great game before posting again.

:thumbsu:

This thread is like a honeypot for trolls and haters.

I don't hate Collingwood. I quite like Collingwood, apart from when idiot fans start on the financial stuff. But as a club and organisation, quite like the joint.

Buckley is a self obsessed flog though.

At the end of the day, Buckley (and Chris Scott for that matter) inherited a stable, well resourced champion team. Winning a premiership with those teams is no where near as hard as it would be for someone like Neeld, Hardwick or B. Scott.

Let's look at the payoff at the end of their time as coaches.

Buckley imho is a flog, not sure what sort of coach he is as he has yet to be put under the pump.

Did you lose to Carlton and miss the GF after Malthouse went on The Footy Show?

Mick was more diplomatic than you claim...

Collingwood people think Cloke (see the supporter comments when he was uncontracted), Malthouse, Dawes and Wellingham owe the Pies. An attitude that borders on arrogance if you think they shouldn't do what's best for themselves, but for the club when they're employees.

Collingwood were more than willing to "do a Wellingham" by taking Ball, Young, Lynch and Jolly as out of contract players. Walsh wasn't exactly diplomatic towards Wellingham with his exit speech for a Collingwood premiership player. Yet Collingwood supporters have a problem with Mick writing a book and working as a media commentator for his new employers.

Was Ratten or Buckley were responsible for your two losses to Carlton last season?

If after one year, Mick loses the Carlton equivalent of Dawes and Wellingham to gain two top 25 picks, a Clinton Young and a 30 year old on his last legs, it will be portrayed negatively by the media and Collingwood supporters. Methinks Carey was right that there was a fallout between Buckley and a few players. Dawes and Wellingham gone after one year after a GF and the former was re-signed by Buckley.

Perhaps Collingwood and Eddie should apologise to Carey.

I'm going to miss Ratten on the boundary line. :cool:

I reckon this would be a pretty good post.....but who has that kind of time. Anyway I'm off to watch titanic

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable FBPhotoZoom

CTRL + Q to Enable/Disable FBPhotoZoom

I'm 50/50 if Mick is even telling the truth about this. He has been known to tell porkies, and has grown quite bitter over the Pies in the past 12 months.

I think this is all about Pies supporters tbh. They've outwardly grown more and more bitter about Mick over the last 12 months and then transfer their feeling over as though it belongs to him.

Swallow, Petrie, Harvey & Wells were the side's best 4 players.

Shock horror. Four top quality players, All Australians, B+F winners, a premiership player, two captains, in the prime of their career, are still good.

I'd agree with you that those four our our best players. The improvement in the side hasn't come from them though, it has come from the kids.

Ziebell, Cunnington, Wright, Atley, Harper, Bastinac, MacMillan et al were very good this year when we beat quality teams. They'll be better next season too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Malthouse prevented player revolt in 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Back