Malthouse sacked - Interim coach John Barker

Remove this Banner Ad

What a glorious week in football. Tigers win. And trigg pulls the trigger on his club.
And Demons. Demons win. That's important by virtue of rarity

These things have been rubbish at Carlton for over ten years. First it was Pagan's fault. Then it was Ratten's. Now it's Mick's.
So what you're saying is the club needs to shake everything up and dump the board members? Obviously

But maybe, mick doing a bad job cant be considered? Odd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So what you're saying is the club needs to shake everything up and dump the board members? Obviously

But maybe, mick doing a bad job cant be considered? Odd

I don't think he's been doing so bad as to be sacked. I don't think some realistic alternative could've done significantly better.

Well analytics is used heavily in US sports to determine how teams should play and who they should play. Are AFL clubs scientific in their list management? I reckon they'd be to an extent. Again, I think Adelaide realised they need a small forward and approached him as soon as they could. They did talk about how he would fill a need, they're probably not going to explain their analytics process publically given they're fairly private.

And it wouldn't surprise me if Carlton's recruiting and drafting methods were bad considering the results, so Trigg's dig at Carlton's current methods and how Adelaide's were better wouldn't surprise me.

What wouldn't also surprise me? Malthouse heard the word analytics, got confused and thought: "oh my god, they stole Betts!" Homer Simpson style. And now he wants to throw one parting shot at Trigg. Or he made it up. Either way I think any investigation wont find much.
disagree and agree. I disagree Mick misunderstood or made something up. Capable of speaking inconvenient truths - that's Mick. Stupid or makes stuff up - not so much.

I do agree an AFL 'investigation' will reveal zip though

The big loser in all this is Mrs Malthouse. Spare her a thought. The Ol' curmudgeon spending his ample free time in her kitchen, putting the cups where the bowls go.

I don't think he's been doing so bad as to be sacked. I don't think some realistic alternative could've done significantly better.

I don't think Malthouse is bad, but his game-plan is just too predictable now-a-days.

When Malthouse and his apprentices left to go to new clubs, they still seemed to employ the infamous "2010-2011 Collingwood kickin' -'round the boundary line" game-plan. Now it is outdated and even Brisbane have a suitable counter strategy against it.

Even Bucks has transitioned Collingwood themselves to using the corridor more often.

He must have known his position was hurting Carlton, refused to resign.

Greedy, selfish imo.
Yes in that sense. I don't know Malthouse except for the fact that he's an angry ant .

But if he is a manipulating mongrel then yes, he wasn't going to do the right thing , he was just going to wait. I had thought before he should save the hassle and resign.

But then you look at a new coach and its start all over again. Next year too, if Barker doesn't get the gig.

I don't think Malthouse is bad, but his game-plan is just too predictable now-a-days.

When Malthouse and his apprentices left to go to new clubs, they still seemed to employ the infamous "2010-2011 Collingwood kickin' -'round the boundary line" game-plan. Now it is outdated and even Brisbane have a suitable counter strategy against it.

Even Bucks has transitioned Collingwood themselves to using the corridor more often.
Has this Carlton side got the cattle to play that game? Have they got the disposal and decision making to be going through the corridor? I don't think they do.

I disagree with your opinion, but thats fine. But the team has gone from winning a final 30 games ago to being absolute putrid and last by a long way. Mick has to live and die by that, and combine with other things, it's not close to adequate enough to keep his job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah because throwing kids out who aren't ready works great. Just ask Jack Watts.

Such a bullshit knee jerk response whenever anyone suggests playing kids. There's a massive difference between what Melbourne did to Watts as opposed to playing more kids in a team that still has Murphy, Gibbs, Simpson, Judd, Henderson, etc running around. I'm not saying ONLY play kids with under 50 games. I'm saying play them instead of some of the hacks that are currently filling out the 22. Both Collingwood and the Bulldogs, amongst others, have played more than 10 kids with less than 50 games at times this year. There's a happy medium between "throwing kids to the wolves" like Melbourne did and playing guys who are stop-gap list cloggers like Mick was doing this year.

The Watts thing is overrated anyhow. The biggest thing that has limited Watts is Watts. He isn't big to be a key, he doesn't work hard enough to be a mid, he isn't tough enough to excel at either. Yeah, his treatment on the journey, and the pressure of being number 1 pick has made it worse, but he just isn't/wasn't that good. What Melbourne did to Jack Trengove and Jack Grimes was much worse anyhow.

Last edited:
tumblr_mi1708ska11s559c9o1_500.gif

So maybe he's not doing what he's asked. Maybe his recovery isn't where it needs to be. There's a multitude of reasons he mightn't be getting a game. And something tells me Mick Malthouse would have a clue about if a kid deserves a game or not. It's not all about ability.

But I'm saying I don't believe Nick was acting in good faith towards the club in this regard. He was prioritising attempted short game respectability ahead of developing Carlton's list for next year and the year after.

Has this Carlton side got the cattle to play that game? Have they got the disposal and decision making to be going through the corridor? I don't think they do.
No, Carlton don't have the cattle either.

But it still seems a common trend that Neeld and Watters tried that gameplan too and survived at their clubs for an even shorter period of time than Malthouse did.

Have to say I can't see what John barkers gonna do what is he some miracle worker.i thought malt house was treated with disrespect , even though I despise him he got totally shafted. Yep the club is woeful but rebuilds are woeful ... It sucks .....somebody has got to be last on the ladder.....fact of life.why punish and treat a legend of the game like a turd.not a classy way to act.whats John barkers record as a coach?, I don't remember him being too reliable as a forward at hawthorn.

heh ? Did you not have a young coach with fresh ideas in Ratts ?
But the problem is softness.

The playing group was soft under Ratten and was worse under Malthouse who tried to add grit. Much like Lyon he tried defensive side first, but the playing group couldn't hack it.

You can't front run to a flag, or even repeat high finishes.

Port lost their defensive edge, and then it all collapsed. Players stopped running for each other and the attacking side fell apart. Look at the Bulldogs, they stopped competing as hard and their run and scoring has dried up.

The Carlton players are to blame. The board and media also share some of the burden, as you need consistent management to succeed and the media has been carrying out a vendetta or manufacturing stories on this since Mick got their. Degenerates like Robbo have had fangs out as soon as a bad word was aimed their way by Mick, and I suppose the cantakerous bugger played right into Robbo, Eddie et al's plans, as did the board.

Robbo is a putrid character no doubt and few things frustrate me more than the agendas he runs, be that against people or for them.

I think the players were caught up in this maelstrom and it added their innability to deal with Malthouses plan and the club shakiness.

Malthouse biggest mistake was not signing a 4 year contract with the Blues. The multi millionaire is the smartest of the lot, while he may leave the game a little tarnished, his coaching record will not be broken.

C7 would be stupid to not pay for him to rock up on Friday night and be a part of their commentary team in some capacity. Ratings would be massive.

I think it would be awesome to see him ask questions of the new Carlton coach on Friday night during the 5th quarter.

I don't see that in footy at the moment , about the centre corridor I mean , every team hugs the boundary line , to the point of aggravation.

I nearly freak out waiting for out of bounds on the full.

Precision kicking around the ground is good, and also along the boundary, but the centre corridor does not get used a tenth as much as it should in every club.

How many times you see a spare player in the guts, and the rest are wrestling on the wing with about 10 players, in a scrum.

Yes I know that sometimes a good big kick hits someone in the middle, but, then its not used properly either sometimes, ends up usually in a pocket, unless there is someone in front that can actually mark under pressure.

Then you have to hope the goal kicking is up to the standard of around the ground kicking.And it isn't mostly.

hmmm. who do i trust?

The guy who's been one of the best coaches in the game for 30 years and 2 years ago with a different CEO won a final with carlton and two years before got his side playing incredible footy and into a GF.

Or the CEO who's a proven cheat and left Adelaide disgraced as he should have?

The board undermined MM starting from before the pre season. He never had a chance. I'd have no faith in that mob directing my club

I disagree with your opinion, but thats fine. But the team has gone from winning a final 30 games ago to being absolute putrid and last by a long way. Mick has to live and die by that, and combine with other things, it's not close to adequate enough to keep his job.

Lets put that finals win in perspective you beat 9thmond and you got to the finals because the AFL hit the Dons with sanctions. :confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back