Malthouse sacked - Interim coach John Barker

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully the club continues to be in the pressure cooker for the rest of the season.

I don't like Malthouse by any stretch, but what a shocking way to shaft him. Their list is horrible and that won't suddenly change under an interim coach who has half the knowledge and smarts of Mick.

Was good to see Mick go out swinging against that disgrace of a football executive Trigg. :thumbsu:
Good post - well said.

Havent formulated opinion on Trigg yet. But seems to be doing okay.

When Egon Zhander (that deals with the recruitment for high end hedge fund managers) and made the recommendation that Trigg was the best man for the job. I will stick to that for now. I think Egon Zhander knows best
Wasn't he one of the Ghostbusters?

The best part about all of this will be when people realise it wasn't JUST Mick, it's that the team is also shit.

New coach... same horrible forward line, same slow/soft midfield and same weak as piss defense.

EFA imo. Mick didn't seem to have any new plans like he did at Collingwood where he more or less changed the entire game...

Havent formulated opinion on Trigg yet. But seems to be doing okay.

When Egon Zhander (that deals with the recruitment for high end hedge fund managers) and made the recommendation that Trigg was the best man for the job. I will stick to that for now. I think Egon Zhander knows best

"Q) Which is the greatest example of Triggs incompetence?"

"I'm going to go with B, Kurt Tippett".

Lock it in Eddie

Hopefully for Carlton, Barker will actually play their kids and get some games into them. They'll get flogged, but that's happening anyway. Malthouse wouldn't because he was trying to keep his job. This way, maybe they learn something about the small contingent of youth they do have. And if they feel they're going to get a decent crack, the youth might bring some enthusiasm and energy to the place.

"The definition of crisis, to me, is that you don't know where you are and you don't have a plan of where you're going. We certainly know exactly where we are, and we've known exactly where we are for a long time, and we certainly have a plan - and a documented plan - of where we're going.

"So we're certainly nowhere near crisis."

Good decision by the club. The wrong decision was to sack Ratten. MM list management and player development has been atrocious to put it lightly.

Im happy for some players (like nick graham) who now have a chance to prove themselves that they belong on the list next year because if mick was making the calls at the end of the year, he wouldnt be there without be able to prove himself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hopefully for Carlton, Barker will actually play their kids and get some games into them. They'll get flogged, but that's happening anyway. Malthouse wouldn't because he was trying to keep his job. This way, maybe they learn something about the small contingent of youth they do have. And if they feel they're going to get a decent crack, the youth might bring some enthusiasm and energy to the place.
Yeah because throwing kids out who aren't ready works great. Just ask Jack Watts.

Do any Crows supporters remember any talk of analytics back when Eddie was recruited? Not saying anything underhand was done in recruiting him (there's another thread for that). I am calling bullshit on the analytics tripe that came out of Trigg's mouth. Or is he simply trying to say that they knew Eddie kicked x number of goals a year and they went after him given he was a free agent? That analytics bullshit is something I would expect to hear from Accenture (did I really say that about them).

Well analytics is used heavily in US sports to determine how teams should play and who they should play. Are AFL clubs scientific in their list management? I reckon they'd be to an extent. Again, I think Adelaide realised they need a small forward and approached him as soon as they could. They did talk about how he would fill a need, they're probably not going to explain their analytics process publically given they're fairly private.

And it wouldn't surprise me if Carlton's recruiting and drafting methods were bad considering the results, so Trigg's dig at Carlton's current methods and how Adelaide's were better wouldn't surprise me.

What wouldn't also surprise me? Malthouse heard the word analytics, got confused and thought: "oh my god, they stole Betts!" Homer Simpson style. And now he wants to throw one parting shot at Trigg. Or he made it up. Either way I think any investigation wont find much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully the club continues to be in the pressure cooker for the rest of the season.

I don't like Malthouse by any stretch, but what a shocking way to shaft him. Their list is horrible and that won't suddenly change under an interim coach who has half the knowledge and smarts of Mick.

Was good to see Mick go out swinging against that disgrace of a football executive Trigg. :thumbsu:

Carlton delivered the AFL community a very clear message about their attitude to probity when they hired Trigg.

But Mick chooses not to play a kid who is clearly a cut above vfl level. Nice

So maybe he's not doing what he's asked. Maybe his recovery isn't where it needs to be. There's a multitude of reasons he mightn't be getting a game. And something tells me Mick Malthouse would have a clue about if a kid deserves a game or not. It's not all about ability.

I think Marc Lo Guidice is trying to do that - the logical way of dealing with it was to have Mick stay until the end of the season - like he said he would, the media and the idiots on the Board like Mathieson blinked. He is a good guy and talented - I would not despair too much - although the rest of this year is a right off
Lo Guidice is a huge part of the problem. Has been there far too long, and nobody elected him.

What are the odds like that this interim coach won't last the season?

I can't see him doing any better than a guy with 700+ games of coaching experience.

Congrats Mick. You got out early :thumbsu: Now pull up a chair, crack one open, and watch on and enjoy the ever entertaining implosion of the Carlton Football Club with us, yeh?

So maybe he's not doing what he's asked. Maybe his recovery isn't where it needs to be. There's a multitude of reasons he mightn't be getting a game. And something tells me Mick Malthouse would have a clue about if a kid deserves a game or not. It's not all about ability.
We'll have to see what Barker does to get the answer to that.

Still doesnt excuse micks poor list management and player development

Well analytics is used heavily in US sports to determine how teams should play and who they should play. Are AFL clubs scientific in their list management? I reckon they'd be to an extent. Again, I think Adelaide realised they need a small forward and approached him as soon as they could. They did talk about how he would fill a need, they're probably not going to explain their analytics process publically given they're fairly private.

And it wouldn't surprise me if Carlton's recruiting and drafting methods were bad considering the results, so Trigg's dig at Carlton's current methods and how Adelaide's were better wouldn't surprise me.

What wouldn't also surprise me? Malthouse heard the word analytics, got confused and thought: "oh my god, they stole Betts!" Homer Simpson style. And now he wants to throw one parting shot at Trigg. Or he made it up. Either way I think any investigation wont find much.

I have no doubt the club identified a need for a small forward and went out and got Betts given he was available. I do doubt he's line about analytics. That's what I call bullshit on.

We'll have to see what Barker does to get the answer to that.

Still doesnt excuse micks poor list management and player development

These things have been rubbish at Carlton for over ten years. First it was Pagan's fault. Then it was Ratten's. Now it's Mick's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Malthouse sacked - Interim coach John Barker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back