Malthouse sacked - Interim coach John Barker

Remove this Banner Ad

I wish JB all the best for the next 14 games.

If he doesn't work out in that time, then Harvey or Sumich would be my candidates.

Carlton always liked being out the front, so grab someone who will have some damn fire to push through the shit.

Give John a chance, we cant be any worse than we are right now. Who knows he might actually surprise.

Hopefully the club continues to be in the pressure cooker for the rest of the season.

I don't like Malthouse by any stretch, but what a shocking way to shaft him. Their list is horrible and that won't suddenly change under an interim coach who has half the knowledge and smarts of Mick.

Was good to see Mick go out swinging against that disgrace of a football executive Trigg. :thumbsu:

And for everyone claiming Mick lost the players - I hardly feel as though the players would be huge fans of John Barker but hate Mick with such a passion that they are that shit.

So Barker is hardly going to get any results from this list. We'll likely end up with 3-4 wins, a spoon and everyone will be like "oh, well we can't sign Barker...".

Trigg is such a ****wit that he will probably put his hand up for a go at coaching.

Lol at the Teflon Trigg spin.

It's not even that clever, how the **** does he stay in a job?[/QUOTE

+1

This bloke cannot be serious. "We know exactly where we are, and we have for a long time?" So you've always known that you are a complete rabble, and have done nothing to act upon it until today? Sounds legit.

You're forgetting we signed Trigg...

:$

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best part about all of this will be when people realise it wasn't Mick, it's just that the team is shit.

New coach... same horrible forward line, same slow/soft midfield and same weak as piss defense.

I think most people know that the club itself said they needed a rebuild. Mick wasnt the man for that job though, I think he was only it in for the paycheck at the end.

That's his point though, Carlton's analytics are apparently rubbish, Adelaide's analytics were apparently better. I don't know if Trigg is lying, but it wouldn't surprise me if Carlton's analytics were rubbish considering their drafting and recruiting of free agents. Plus, Carlton seems to be an old school coach.

Do any Crows supporters remember any talk of analytics back when Eddie was recruited? Not saying anything underhand was done in recruiting him (there's another thread for that). I am calling bullshit on the analytics tripe that came out of Trigg's mouth. Or is he simply trying to say that they knew Eddie kicked x number of goals a year and they went after him given he was a free agent? That analytics bullshit is something I would expect to hear from Accenture (did I really say that about them).

Havent formulated opinion on Trigg yet. But seems to be doing okay.

When Egon Zhander (that deals with the recruitment for high end hedge fund managers) and made the recommendation that Trigg was the best man for the job. I will stick to that for now. I think Egon Zhander knows best

Difference between the sports.

Malthouse 1 mln per year - coming last after eight rounds gets sacked and everyone feels sorry for him
Carletto 10 mln per year won champions league and came 2nd ion la liga and gets sacked and everyone understands why

Was a shit attempt at hinting Mick may take the Real job, but anyway...

single-tumbleweed-o.gif

Not really surprised but still a knee-jerk reaction after Mick's interview.

Sacking coaches isn't always going to solve problems.

It's so short-sighted in so many ways. What the hell is an interim coach going to do? He's not going to instantly turn a list which is 9/10ths dog turd in terms of quality. I mean seriously, the players are the ones that should cop the heat here.

List management wise - Mick inherited a squad that made finals, but would NEVER win the GF. He did make the list worse by bringing in certain players at the expense of Betts. But I have no idea how firing him mid-season helps Carlton short or long term.

If anything, it makes long term prospects worse. What kind of coach would want to accept the head coach position, when the admin above it is so prone to making twitch-trigger decisions? What kind of players would want to come to a club in such instability.

But whatever. Carlton for decades has always been about two ultimatums: fire head coaches + bring in the new messiah player. It worked in the 70s-80s when there was no salary cap. Doesn't work now. Good to see their still stubbornly living in the past, like their revamped logo.

(PS. I actually prefer the old logo tho).

This is very very ugly.

I haven't always loved MM's 'frank' and surly approach to media, but I have a lot of respect for the record he earned as a coach. Bad bad day for AFL.

Carlton Board too good for him? Nah - being sacked by this club in its current shambles actually counts as a plus in Mick's corner. Ringing endorsement. Good on on you Mick! All the best for the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Malthouse sacked - Interim coach John Barker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back